What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Fungicidal and Herbicidal properties of Kavalactones

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello kava lovers. Today’s fact of the day switches gears and comes from a study from 2006 regarding a different set of properties displayed by Piper Methysticum. The researchers tested the ability of kavalactones to inhibit the growth of several different plant species. Specifically, they found it was able to inhibit the growth of lettuce, radish, barnyardgrass, and monochorea (a type of water hyacinth) in a dose-dependent manor. This growth inhibition points to kavas natural allelopathic (phenomenon by which an organism produces one or more biochemicals that influence the life cycle of other plants [1]) properties.

This study also undertook some tests related to kavalactone’s ability to inhibit different types of fungus. Kava has long thought to be antifungal, however there have been few studies which support this. They focused on plant and soil type fungus and found kava had a varying ability to inhibit their life-cycle. Interestingly, this may have opened an effect for the uncommonly referenced kavalactone 5,6,7,8-tetrahydroyangonin. It was found that higher levels of THY, DHK, and DHM more strongly inhibited certain types of fungus growth even at relatively low overall concentrations [2]. This study opens the door for kavalactones being used as potent bioactive herbicides and fungicides. This is the first study of its kind in this area, and as such there will naturally be more questions than answers that arise. See included tables for inhibition profiles of kavalactones related to plant species and fungal species.

germination.jpg

antifungal.jpg

[1] Allelopathy. (2021, January 17). Retrieved January 21, 2021, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

[2] Xuan TD, Elzaawely AA, Fukuta M, Tawata S. Herbicidal and Fungicidal Activities of Lactones in Kava (Piper methysticum). J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Feb 8;54(3):720-5. doi: 10.1021/jf0519461. PMID: 16448174.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
As a fungus lover, this is creating some cognitive dissonance. I feel like I'm working with yin and yang now :p
Luckily the types of fungus listed are ones commonly found in produce and soils. It's interesting, based on this study it sounds like you could just spray prepared kava over your vegetables and possibly prevent several types of rot. Then again, it may prevent them from maturing. Kava is the embodiment of yin/yang lol

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Yingonin/Yangonin.

On a side note. I can't wait for April's Morel season. I'm probably going to grow some more blue oysters this spring as well. Now I need to make sure I don't spill any grog in my wood chips. Sorry, getting a little off topic...

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello kava lovers. Today’s fact of the day switches gears and comes from a study from 2006 regarding a different set of properties displayed by Piper Methysticum. The researchers tested the ability of kavalactones to inhibit the growth of several different plant species. Specifically, they found it was able to inhibit the growth of lettuce, radish, barnyardgrass, and monochorea (a type of water hyacinth) in a dose-dependent manor. This growth inhibition points to kavas natural allelopathic (phenomenon by which an organism produces one or more biochemicals that influence the life cycle of other plants [1]) properties.

This study also undertook some tests related to kavalactone’s ability to inhibit different types of fungus. Kava has long thought to be antifungal, however there have been few studies which support this. They focused on plant and soil type fungus and found kava had a varying ability to inhibit their life-cycle. Interestingly, this may have opened an effect for the uncommonly referenced kavalactone 5,6,7,8-tetrahydroyangonin. It was found that higher levels of THY, DHK, and DHM more strongly inhibited certain types of fungus growth even at relatively low overall concentrations [2]. This study opens the door for kavalactones being used as potent bioactive herbicides and fungicides. This is the first study of its kind in this area, and as such there will naturally be more questions than answers that arise. See included tables for inhibition profiles of kavalactones related to plant species and fungal species.

[1] Allelopathy. (2021, January 17). Retrieved January 21, 2021, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

[2] Xuan TD, Elzaawely AA, Fukuta M, Tawata S. Herbicidal and Fungicidal Activities of Lactones in Kava (Piper methysticum). J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Feb 8;54(3):720-5. doi: 10.1021/jf0519461. PMID: 16448174.
I remember when this study came out in 2006. My 1st thought was-- how come an 'awa plant get still come down with Phoma sp., Fusarium sp., Pythium splendens, ?
I guessed the answer is that not all fungi are created equal.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Typo in that last one, should have read--I remember when this study came out in 2006. My 1st thought was-- how come an 'awa plant can still come down with Phoma sp., Fusarium sp., Pythium splendens, ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Typo in that last one, should have read--I remember when this study came out in 2006. My 1st thought was-- how come an 'awa plant can still come down with Phoma sp., Fusarium sp., Pythium splendens, ?
That's quite ironic. The same fungi they tested the kavalactones on are ones that routinely infect kava plants? I really really hope that was taken into account in some way, lol.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I remember when this study came out in 2006. My 1st thought was-- how come an 'awa plant get still come down with Phoma sp., Fusarium sp., Pythium splendens, ?
That's an understatement ^ :)

I really recommend the recent film Fantastical Fungi. It is amazing if you are fungi fan. I thought I knew a lot about mycology; I did not.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
That's quite ironic. The same fungi they tested the kavalactones on are ones that routinely infect kava plants? I really really hope that was taken into account in some way, lol.
Irony indeed. The thought which just jumped into my mind, without any awareness of the context here, or the knowledge you guys have- how to word this, or figure it?

Im thinking, if there is a specific type of fungus growing Kava plants are more likely to be susceptible to, maybe that experience or relationship is part of the necessary process by which Kava has developped antifungal properties.

As in, it is possibly necessary for growing kava to not be immune to fungal attack, for it's immune system to develop and learn.

I pondered the same irony regarding cannabis many years ago. For all it's proven broad range antimicrobial powers, it is remarkably susceptible to fungus and mold while growing and drying.