What's new

Getting around a developed taste aversion.

I used to kind of like the taste of kava. Every now and then I'd prepare a shell, drink up and sit down to read. I find that a little kava goes perfect with a good book.

But about a month ago something strange happened, I developed a taste aversion to kava. I can't stomach it anymore, and I don't even like the smell. I have no idea what caused it, but I really miss having kava in my life. I've tried all kinds of mixes but I can't find anything overpowering enough to mask the kava aftertaste that I've grown to loathe. 

I know some of you wont understand because I'm sure you love the taste of kava, but I hope you'll be able to empathize with me. 

Is there any other way to consume this stuff that get's around the taste problem? I have about two pounds of grade A kava root just sitting in my pantry, and I hate to see it go to waste. It's stone ground, so it's somewhat chunky and I doubt it would fit well in a pill.

Any recommendations? 

Thanks!

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
How often do you have kava?

If I drink kava for more than two days in a row I don't even want to see it for a week. Could be something like that.

You can try a good instant kava. The process makes it come out a tiny bit sweet without the earthiness you'd get from dried root.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I hate to tell ya, but the only way I got through my aversion was to keep chugging. If you can power through the aversion it will, unlike the taste of kava, die down. Unfortunately I can give no hints on how to make a pleasant tasting beverage from kava. I find the only way to bring the barability of kava to an almost acceptable level is to chill it to near freezing, and not breath through your nose while chugging.

kl.midas

Kava Enthusiast
I find using 'rice dream' rice milk makes kava almost taste nice, infinitely better than it tastes with water prep anyway. I recommend giving it a shot.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
This happened to me once, used to like the taste and all of a sudden I would almost puke trying to drink it. Like kapm said, you just have to keep drinking. Eventually my aversion died down again until kava was bearable to drink. Just stick at it and good luck!

Thanks for all the tips guys, glad to hear I'm not the only one who has a hard time. It's so strange because not too long ago I could sip on it and be just fine. I didn't like it per say, but it wasn't by any stretch of the imagination undrinkable.

Since I have so much kava root, does anyone know how they make instant kava out of kava root? Is it a process that can be done at home?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
You must go to The Dagobah system. There you will find Kapmcrunk...the Jedi Master who pwns us all.

Now I leave you with this quote from another master... half of which can be warped into something horrendously inappropriate...

“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.” -Yoda

kl.Missy

I too have an aversion to the taste of Kava, but love the effects!  The most palatable way I can tolerate it is I buy Organic, Stevia sweetened low cal Lemonade from Trader Joe's and make my kava in that liquid, then, as a chaser, I take a swig of Clausthauler non alcohol beer, which clears the palate better than pineapple!  I

kl.Letharia

Kava Curious
I wonder if kava was making you a little nauseous during that time, and you didn't notice it? Maybe your body's rejecting it if it made you feel a little queasy (just an idea. I know it makes me a little ill but I ignore it and then later associate it with that feeling.) Maybe try reintroducing it under the best possible circumstances and try retraining your brain to accept it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Chappie said:
Since I have so much kava root, does anyone know how they make instant kava out of kava root? Is it a process that can be done at home?
I've been invoked by Vekta.
Surprisingly, yes, you can actually produce instant at home. The also surprising fact is that it takes ages to make an appreciable amount of instant kava. Instant kava is made by in some way dehydrating prepared kava. I use a heating plate that uses hot water kept at about 100 degrees and in turn heats the kava for evaporation. I then put the resulting kava flake into a vacuum chamber with desiccant and let it dry the rest of the way out. After that you get to grinding. Kava has quite a bit of cellulose fiber which locks when you dry it, causing something that's very similar to flaked fish food in consistency. 
Yes, you can make instant kava, but it's not easy, or fast....but possible.

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
After trying nearly everything I could think of to mask the taste of Kava I finally found a winner.

I take a drink of it and swish it around in my mouth, swallow it and quickly chug my Kava/water mix. Then immediately take another drink of the milk.

Can't.Even.Taste the Kava.