What's new

Kava Science Ginger and kava

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Can someone answer the question as to why fresh ginger squeezed of its juices will cause kava to denature similar to lemon in milk. without the gross smell although it is odd tasting.
I've noticed this with a few things in kava but can't remember atm what they were but Ginger specifically when fresh causes a reaction. I wonder what's going on here ?

@verticity @Deleted User @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
@kavadude

@ any other forum members

violet

Do all things with love
Is it just plain root and water, nothing else?

Fresh ginger contains a lot of active enzymes, protease, that would break down the bonds between the amino acids, especially in the presence of water.

Its protein digestive properties are one of the reasons ginger tea does well to follow meals.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Interesting. This also happened to me with specific fruit juices, I couldn't figure out why. I never tried it with fresh ginger though.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Gary from realkava.com recommends putting ginger in but more to alter the taste. I tried it a few times but I preferred it without the ginger and then discovered my milk thing and ginger and milk are obviously not a good mix.

FYS

Shell Shocked
Yeah the other couple times it happened it was juices that I cant remember what they were.
It's odd that lemons and lime don't do it
I'd wager pineapple was probably one of them. It contains a lot of bromelain.

Nirad

Kava Curious
I get the same with orange juice concentrate, I will often make up a batch and then add concentrated orange juice or orange pineapple, but with the plain orange it seems to initially take on that chunky appearance. A little time and agitation seems to get it back to normal though. How do you juice your ginger? Just curious, I often drink Reeds extra ginger ale to calm my stomach but its 5$ a 4 pack so I keep thinking if I could find an efficient way to juice the ginger and make my own that would be great.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Lol if your using it to calm your stomach you could just either buy ginger dry or fresh and just chew it or make tea. seems like a waste to buy ginger beer Everytime you need ginger lol

Nirad

Kava Curious
I don't buy it only because I need ginger, it's actually quite delicious on its own. Powdered ginger unfortunately doesn't measure up to fresh and I tried steeping ginger slices but the heat seems to also change the flavor. Which is why I was curious about the juicing method. I have a juiceman but the fibrous pulp would clog it right up.
If anyone is curious about Reed's the bottle says ginger, pineapple, honey, lemon and lime.

FYS

Shell Shocked
I don't buy it only because I need ginger, it's actually quite delicious on its own. Powdered ginger unfortunately doesn't measure up to fresh and I tried steeping ginger slices but the heat seems to also change the flavor. Which is why I was curious about the juicing method. I have a juiceman but the fibrous pulp would clog it right up.
If anyone is curious about Reed's the bottle says ginger, pineapple, honey, lemon and lime.
You might try a ceramic grater. It works great for ginger. The juice and pulp collect on the outer lip but the fibers get trapped in the "bumpy" portion and come up easily.

amazon.com/Kyocera-Advanced-Ceramic-2-inch-Grater/dp/B000KKK4YC