What's new

Ginkgo and kava?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
As I said in another thread, I’ve been trying out some different nootropics to try and hone my focus and productivity. It was interesting to try the synthetics but I have found that the natural extracts work so much better for me. I’ve found benefits in a high potency gotu kola extract and discovered that reishi spore oil is incredible, but so expensive! So next on my list is ginkgo. I’ve had the tea before but I figure a high potency extract from this vendor with good quality control is the way to go. Has anyone had experience mixing my these? I know that ginkgo is a blood thinner.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I don't see any reason to say they would be bad to combine, however it should be noted that Ginkgo is thought to be a possible CYP3A4 inducer in vitro in rat and human hepatocytes.

Deng, Ying, Hui-Chang Bi, Li-Zi Zhao, Xue-Ding Wang, Jie Chen, Zhi-Min Ou, Liang Ding, et al. 2008. “Induction of Cytochrome P450 3A by the Ginkgo Biloba Extract and Bilobalides in Human and Rat Primary Hepatocytes.” Drug Metabolism Letters 2 (1): 60–66. https://sci-hub.se/10.2174/187231208783478489.

Be this as it may, when taking into account what we know about kava and hepatocytes, we see that in vitro studies can show numerous results, but not correlate to any real-world effects. So while it's thought that Ginkgo can cause this, it hasn't been replicated in human studies.