What's new

Powdered Kava Review Gourmet Savusavu Waka - 16 Oz

FYS

Shell Shocked
Note: This is part of a comparative review of three kavas from Kava Time, Savusavu, Beqa's Sanctuary, and Kadavu. In order to accurately compare the three kavas I prepared the same amount of each strain at about the same time in the evening and every effort was made to replicate the same conditions each time. 25g is an average amount for me so I thought it best to continue this for my reviews. It should also be noted that I generally prefer kavas on the heavier side.

Vendor description:
Our Gourmet Savusavu Waka is 100% medium grind lateral kava roots, dried by the radiant Fijian sun. The waka is sourced from Savusavu where there is plenty of lush green forestry and sufficient rainfall to grow some of the best tasting kava's of Fiji.

Our farmer has advised that the Savusavu Waka primarily consists of a variety known as Qila Leka in Fiji. This aromatic kava is very mild tasting on the palate yet deceptively potent. It produces a light colored beverage and is labeled as gourmet because the plants are 5+ years old. The Gourmet Savusavu Waka is a well balanced kava, best for drinking to relieve your anxieties any time needed without losing mental clarity.

Chemotype: 461325

Kavalactone %: 11.3%

Retail Price: $53.95/16oz

Shipping & Packaging:

This was purchased as part of the KavaTime Baby Mix sampler. Shipping was quick; 2 business days door to door. Shipping was out of Florida. The products came in a small brown box which is a nice change of pace from the standard envelope and much less prone to accidents I would imagine. For those concerned with discretion the name Kava Time was present on the package. The product itself was adequately secured by a sturdy piece of brown packing paper on both the top and bottom of the package.

Inside was a sealed bag bearing the Kava Time logo as well as the name of the product, supplement facts, preparation instructions, and notes about the company. Inside of that were 3 non-resealable bags, made of a strong plastic that is unlikely to tear, each with a sticker denoting the type. The fact that the smaller bags are not resealable may be an issue for some because if you do not use the entire package at once you will have to transfer to a different container or employ some kind of clip. Personally, I always immediately transfer all of my kava to a separate container once I receive it.

Overall I think the packaging is perfectly fine and the labels are nice. The only thing I would note is that I think the serving size could be represented a bit better. The directions say to use 2 heaping tablespoons which they equate to 1oz. While I prefer measuring by weight instead of volume due to its inaccuracies I would like to at least see the 2 heaping tablespoons changed to 4 level tablespoons(roughly equivalent to the 1oz stated per serving size) since its much more repeatable.

Weight:

Advertised Weight 3oz(85g) Received 83.75g Bag weight: 1.47g Sticker weight: 1.68g Total bag weight: 3.15g Overall weight: 86.92g

Appearance and Scent:

Root powder is very light in color almost a cream or light beige. The scent is also very light with faint, woody odors. The grind is very fine for a medium grind with no large or medium chunks and very few small chunks.

Prepared grog is also light in color with a light scent reminiscent of fresh cut wood.

Taste:

Light and pleasant taste with a slightly more than moderate numbing effect. Easily drinkable on its own. Probably the best tasting kava I have tried.

Dosage and MOP:

25g of kava with 450ml of 170F RO water using the "Cactus Method" and kneaded in an 80 micron bag for 15 minutes and drank in 150ml "shells" every 10 minutes. Second wash was done but not used.

Onset:

Onset was relatively average with the initial effects being felt at around the 15 minute mark peaking at the 30 minute mark.

Duration:

Peak duration was about 2.5 hours before gradually dropping off with residual effects lasting the rest of the evening until I went to sleep.

Effects and Final Thoughts:

A very unique and pleasant kava; it really eases you into it slowly building and building over time before plateauing and then staying there for the better part of two and a half hours before slowly tapering off. Very nice relaxing, euphoric, and anxiolytic properties while still maintaining an alertness of mind and clear headedness. Body load is very mild with some pain relieving and muscle relaxant properties. Effects began to subside noticeably after about 3 hours but with a equally slow and easy trailing off very similar to the way it began. It was very easy to sleep once I laid down and there were no appreciable after effects the next day.

I think this kava would be equally suited to a daytime or evening session and under any circumstances. While there is a fair bit of relaxation the body load and sedation is not sufficient enough to keep you from being active physically or mentally if you want to but plenty to make for an enjoyable night on the couch if you so choose. All in all I think this is a great anytime/any situation kava. I could just as easily have a session and take a hike or work outside as I could sit on the back porch and watch the sun go down. This is probably a great kava for those with social anxiety or who want something relaxing that isn't going to knock them out or turn them into a couch potato. Definitely my favorite out of the three I have tried with the exception of times when I want a very strong and low end kava. It is very well balanced and strong without being too strong in any one area while lacking in others. This would probably make a great kava for beginners as well.

IMG_20161116_194123145.jpg
IMG_20161116_194137227.jpg

Last edited:

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
YES! i also think this is one of those kava's which should be introduced to first timers to ease them to the taste of kava!

FYS

Shell Shocked
YES! i also think this is one of those kava's which should be introduced to first timers to ease them to the taste of kava!
The taste is definitely a large part of it but I also think it would be good for a lot of people new to kava because of how balanced it is. Giving someone new something super heady or super heavy before they figure out what they like could put them off.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wow @FYS

What detailed reviews! Those coming here searching for information in the future thank you profusely. I can already hear it.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
really eases you into it slowly building and building over time before plateauing and then staying there for the better part of two and a half hours before slowly tapering off
I really like this one. And I noticed this to myself how the effects are quite immediate but also so pretty long-lasting with that glowing contentment feeling before it drops off.

I think this kava would be equally suited to a daytime or evening session and under any circumstances. While there is a fair bit of relaxation the body load and sedation is not sufficient enough to keep you from being active physically or mentally if you want to but plenty to make for an enjoyable night on the couch if you so choose
I also found it to be just about perfectly balance for my own taste while admittedly and claims to be heady it has a perfect balance of relaxing physical effects and is very anti anxiety and mood uplifting for me as well.

I do wish Kavatime would ship to the UK for my dog.