What's new

Powdered Kava Review Gourmet Savusavu Waka - 16 Oz

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Great roots! Grinds are a beautiful beige/cream color. .. and smell amazing. Fresh, crisp, sweet and clean with notes of freshly cut grass and spring rain. Taste is incredible too! Soft, creamy, yet with a fascinating spiciness. Delicious. Effect for me is somewhat balanced, leaning towards heady. Superb potency, fast acting, beautifully soothing headyness. I LOVE IT!

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
After a few more shells, I have noticed what other reviewers have noted as a "smoky " taste. Kind of like cedar wood campfire smoky. It's quite subtle. I've let a few people smell the grinds who have never even drank kava before who have said it smells nice.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
To @Ricardo Piquant and everyone else taking great pictures of the grind, thank you. The grind is actually the single greatest "make it or break it" factor to me when selecting a kava for long term use. A coarse, but not rough grind is perfection. It looks, from your picture, that this one falls into that category. I really do need to give kava time a try. I'm embarrassed I haven't yet.

Also, vendors too. Those macro pictures of the product are very helpful.

D

Deleted User01

Nice review and nice pictures! I like the lighter colored kavas because I associate that with milder taste. Good job.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Just got a bag of Savusavu and made a strong shell (I'm a little imaptient to try something new!). I just wanted to note that I DEFINATELY taste the smokey taste (not a bad thing, but unique). It reminds me of super peaty scotch. Very pronounced smokey taste. HMM! I wonder if this (from the Kavatime website) might have something to do with it:
"Our Gourmet Savusavu Waka is 100% medium grind lateral kava roots, fire dried for 6 hours and then dried by the radiant Fijian sun. The waka is sourced from Savusavu where there is plenty of lush green forestry and sufficient rainfall to grow some of the best tasting kava's of Fiji."

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Just got a bag of Savusavu and made a strong shell (I'm a little imaptient to try something new!). I just wanted to note that I DEFINATELY taste the smokey taste (not a bad thing, but unique). It reminds me of super peaty scotch. Very pronounced smokey taste. HMM! I wonder if this (from the Kavatime website) might have something to do with it:
"Our Gourmet Savusavu Waka is 100% medium grind lateral kava roots, fire dried for 6 hours and then dried by the radiant Fijian sun. The waka is sourced from Savusavu where there is plenty of lush green forestry and sufficient rainfall to grow some of the best tasting kava's of Fiji."
Thats pretty much the reason why. It rains alot in savusavu so our farmer uses a fire dryer to speed up the drying process or else it takes about 5 days of complete sunshine to dry the kava. With the fire dryer, the turn around time for drying is about 13 hours (6 hours fire drying and 1 day sun drying)

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
This thread has piqued my interest... I wish I had more money so I could get all these intriguing kavas I am finding!! I am commenting in order to keep a little bookmark to find later - and purchase some of this exquisite sounding grog.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
This thread has piqued my interest... I wish I had more money so I could get all these intriguing kavas I am finding!! I am commenting in order to keep a little bookmark to find later - and purchase some of this exquisite sounding grog.
Imo savusavu is great to have on hand for when you want or need a really really strong kava, but it also has to be a really really good kava. All of the kava time kavas I've tried have been excellent, for taste, freshness and effects.