What's new

Grapeseed or other oil with kava?

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I'm wondering if anyone has tried any oil besides coconut oil with kava? I have some grapeseed and flax seed oils, considering trying one of them with my next batch of kava.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have tried flaxseed oil. Didn't notice any difference in strength. The taste didn't go well either and I like the taste of flaxseed oil.

Chillbert

Kava Curious
I use a little bit of liquid soy lecithin I found at my local health food store. I think it does help in extracting the kava lactones and the taste is negligible.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I dunno, I use avocado oil at times with soy lecithin. I believe it probably does help at the cost of taste. I also believe I can get the same results simply from working the root longer whether it be traditional prep, blender, or aluball. As long as it's a source of fat in some sort than you should get the same results unless there is something I'm missing.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I tried it with flaxseed oil yesterday using the blender method. It's the first time I've used the blender, but the first wash looked very strong. I mixed three washes together. It gave me nice balanced effects. I didn't notice any real difference in taste, but I was in an indulgent mood so I added a little coffee creamer.

YourOlePalAl

Kava Curious
I've done coconut, olive, soybean, grapeseen, conola, sesame, and vegetable oil. All worked well, but my favorites were coconut, olive, and soybean, in that order.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
The oil in Kava keeps remind me that there is oil there, especially with the thicker and filmier taste.. I had a hard time even gulping it down!
Olive Oil:
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/oil-in-kava.12045/#post-137315
I love the taste of olive oil - and have been known to have TBS after kava now and then, but every oil with the exception of coconut oil actually mixed with kava before I drink it has been a total bust on taste. Coconut oil is problematic in that I like my kava cold, and then I got chunks of coconut oil to slug down - so I ruled that out as well. I don't mind the taste of kava, it has grown on me like a fungus the past two years. Now it is just straight down the hatch for me.