What's new

Powdered Kava Review Hanakapi'ai

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I bought a 1/2 lb bag to try out on a recommendation from Chris. I was looking for a back up to my reliable favorite, Boroguru. Well, Chris's recommendation was right on target. It's easily on par with a good Boroguru but Hanakapi'Ai is a unique Hawaiian kava experience.

The powered root is dry and sweet to the nose with a slight hint of spice. It's a very faint spice hint similar to Cassia (false cinnamon). It's a very sweet and warm smell that's very unique as far as kavas I've encountered go.

The taste of the finished brew is very mild. It's so mild that only the milky and chalky flavors come through. The sweet and warm spice scent is totally gone once water is added. I have to admit that took some getting used to. I'm accustomed to that typical Vanuatu Black pepper, piney, earthy taste. It really is that mild.:eek:

This is no Boroguru that's for sure but it is a very capable alternative for it that has it's own very desirable characteristics. This is an alternative to Boroguru not a substitute. It's a little heady in the beginning, something I'm not really a fan of in my kava but it works in this cultivar. Its got just enough of it to make the experience interesting while still being well within the criteria of what I seek in kava.

The body load is also very interesting. it's a full body experience that ended up settling in my lower legs and feet. I felt very relaxed and comfortably heavy. It seems to pull you down by the shoulders straight down to the balls of your feet. It does everything I need (or want) it to do but it does it differently than Boroguru.

And the Shield effect? Sheesh! I would risk saying that this actually beats Boroguru in that category.:jawdrop: A bowl or two of this and you can take Superman's Nuc-lear spartan kick to the face and come out unscathed....probably wouldn't even move.:woot:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Great Review @Vekta!!! (y)

It came out really well in spite of me goofing around with the review form format at the same time you created it. Hope you didn't have any problems adding it.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Well said Vekta! (y)
I'm loving that comparison you've made sir and I've had my eye on this one for awhile; honestly my plan had been to purchase some kava on Friday but Chris had a different idea in mind. ;):rolleyes:
Now I'm at the mercy of a mysterious new kava on the way quite soon; hahaha the anxiety's killing me but I know it's worth it. :LOL::D

D

Deleted User01

Dude Vekta, Kavadude is right. You could be a wine taster or of those guys they pay to smell and taste stuff. Those descriptions are from a true Kavasseur. ::frosty:: There ya go, my favorite smiley, the Frosty the Zombie Snowman. Man, you really know how to "susplain" the taste, looks, and effects of Kava. ::ricky:: (My second favorite Smiley, I don't give these to just anyone)