What's new

Has anyone tried 3 balls in the Aluball ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I've been using 2 balls in the Aluball with good results, and I'm starting to wonder if I could fit a 3rd ball in there, and how well it would work.
Also, this is in reference to the original Aluball container, not the newer, larger, Alubottle.
So, the first question is whether a 3rd ball would would fit in it ?
And if it does fit, the 2nd question is, would it be effective ?
Before you respond, I realize that an argument against it would be that the balls could not shake as freely. as 3 balls would barely fit, if they do.
However, I'm thinking that even if the balls can't freely move much, perhaps you can still get similar extraction effects, by virtue of the fact that
there will still be the momentum of the water swishing through the balls during shaking. And maybe the water movement by itself might be enough to be effective ?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've been using 2 balls in the Aluball with good results, and I'm starting to wonder if I could fit a 3rd ball in there, and how well it would work.
Also, this is in reference to the original Aluball container, not the newer, larger, Alubottle.
So, the first question is whether a 3rd ball would would fit in it ?
And if it does fit, the 2nd question is, would it be effective ?
Before you respond, I realize that an argument against it would be that the balls could not shake as freely. as 3 balls would barely fit, if they do.
However, I'm thinking that even if the balls can't freely move much, perhaps you can still get similar extraction effects, by virtue of the fact that
there will still be the momentum of the water swishing through the balls during shaking. And maybe the water movement by itself might be enough to be effective ?
I did this a few weeks ago while traveling. I had done a 1st and 2nd wash with two balls. I didn't have an easy way at the time to clean out the the balls and refill - so I tossed a third in with new grind. Worked fine. Obviously you don't get as much ball banging ;), but the water still rushes through the third ball just fine and gets a good wash.
Edit: I don't use the supplied alubottle - I use a problender bottle which maybe just a tad bigger.