What's new

Have I ruined my kava (help!)

NZdude

Kava Curious
I decided to something a little different today. I normally mix my GHK micronized in a sealed beaker, with water from the tap, and shake thoroughly, then drink in one go.

Well today, i though why not give the hot water method a go with micronized. So I put 5 very level spoons of Hanakapi Ai micronized, and added about 80oz of very hot, but definetly not boiling water. I screwed the lid on, and shook. It sounded nornal at first, but then the water shaking sound changed to a splodge, and then a heavy nothing. I opened the lid to see this very thick brown paste :wtf:! No problem i thought, i'll add more water, so i added cold water and shock, wich didnt help much, I added more, and still the same! I gave it a stir with a spoon, but that just made a mess, and got stuck over the spoon.

So now its in the fridge. Will it get more liquidy as it cools down? Any ideas? I dont wanna eat warm (or cold) thick kava paste :yuck:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
That is very odd nzdude. Hopefully it will improve, but I've never tried hot water with micronized.

By the by, if you are consuming the micronized directly, there is no reason to use hot or boiling water. Water temp improves the extraction of kavalactones from kava into water -- which doesn't matter if you are just drinking all the kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Sounds like you're eatin sludge tonight :hungry: ... I've made some pretty thick ones with the boiling method, like the consistency of poi. It's a strange sensation, but not as bad as I assumed.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
In addition to what kava dude said; I'd avoid using tap water if you can because even if you're still experiencing the effects, I think it's been found that the minerals in tap water have the ability to destroy kavalactones, though the evidence that states this slips my mind.
Maybe Infraredz can provide you with the necessary info. ::amirite::
Anyways, even though it'd be quite unpleasant; it doesn't sound too bad otherwise, so if it was me I'd chug that micro grime Nzdude.:sneaky::hungry::D

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Sounds like you're eatin sludge tonight :hungry: ... I've made some pretty thick ones with the boiling method, like the consistency of poi. It's a strange sensation, but not as bad as I assumed.
I've never had tap-hot water ruin the texture of kava. When you use boiling it dissolves the starch and creates Kava Oatmeal. @NZdude did you use water from a tap or did you heat it in the microwave/on the stove? If it's that hot it could definitely mess things up.

NZdude

Kava Curious
Just got back after posting the message. Thaks for your replies, unfortunetly @shakas you are right, the sludge has cooled down, but still as thick. I tried a tiny tiny lick, and my whole mouth is numb now! Becuase it's GHK micro, it doesnt taste too bad.

@kavadude thats for the info, i just totally wasted my time then. But this strong numbing in my mouth tells me there just might be hope for it. I used water from the tap, boiled it in a kettle, and poured it in after it cooled a little.

@Monkava'd our water is 'tank' water, the rain water collects off the roof into a large concrete tank, and then goes through filters before coming out the tap, so its just filtered rain water, no fluoride, or chemicals - this is quite common in NZ. Do you think that would be OK? What kind of water do you use? I often use milt for non micronised.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Is it sludge from top to bottom or is their a kava sludge layer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted User01

NZDude, that is exactly the reason that I don't subscribe to the boiling method. Hot water will extract more Kavalactones but the result is a thick and slimy Kava. Just mix it in a Kocktail or some orange juice and chug a lug. Maybe the acidic orange juice will help break it down. And no, you did not ruin your Kava, in fact, it is probably very potent. You are just going to have a hard time convincing yourself to drink it .

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
where is the boiling method located shakas, do you really find the difference worth the extra hassle
yup, that's the vid.
I don't do it often. But I do it at least once with every new kava I get, to see if boiling brings out any new aspects. Or to see if it strengthens it significantly. I don't reduce the amount of root I use when I do it.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
yup, that's the vid.
I don't do it often. But I do it at least once with every new kava I get, to see if boiling brings out any new aspects. Or to see if it strengthens it significantly. I don't reduce the amount of root I use when I do it.
I'll give it a go sometime, I thought perhaps that was your preferred method. Does this often proffer benefits in these areas

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
My usual is just knead/squeeze but I often do it with microwaved hot water with gloves on. To get a little extra potency.
It definitely adds some potency when you boil (there may be a certain time range, for best results) ..and it does seem to make a familiar kava, slightly unfamiliar. But maybe that's just the different strength being noticed.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
My usual is just knead/squeeze but I often do it with microwaved hot water with gloves on. To get a little extra potency.
It definitely adds some potency when you boil (there may be a certain time range, for best results) ..and it does seem to make a familiar kava, slightly unfamiliar. But maybe that's just the different strength being noticed.
Interesting, when I first started kava, I used boiling water, and had great results. I just use 140 F. Now, just because that's what everyone says. I did notice I ended up with a very think grog, that took some time to strain. I can only imagine what Micro would do.

@NZdude , I guess I would pull it out, and get my brain ready for butterschoth pudding, and just go for it. :X3:. Much love. Roaddog....