What's new

Hawaii Kava Identification

swillis

Kava Curious
hello! here is a single plant that i got from bill in mt view. older canes are that yellowy color, and the top of the canes are contourted with short internodes with the purple just at the node, but the new canes are coming out this purple color. newer leaves are also more rounded. wondering if anyone can help me id. maybe its mahakea? no idea

Attachments

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
hello! here is a single plant that i got from bill in mt view. older canes are that yellowy color, and the top of the canes are contourted with short internodes with the purple just at the node, but the new canes are coming out this purple color. newer leaves are also more rounded. wondering if anyone can help me id. maybe its mahakea? no idea
Yes, Mahakea....even with the short internode portion.
Mostly Mahakea is long internode but portions
of a single stalk can have short internodes for 2
reasons-- 1- when stalk bends, curves due to sun, top-heavy;
2- Mahakea can mutate to Pana'ewa and Pana'ewa to Mahakea.

swillis

Kava Curious
very cool! thanks! yep that older cane is flopping down towards the ground because it got top heavy so thats prob why the internodes got short and bent. i noticed the recent talk about mutations here on the forums. thats insane! kava is so cool!!