What's new

Kava Science Heady kava and SNRI

Alark

Kava Curious
I currently use pristiq (SNRI) and have been using heady kavas I notice Jaw clenching face redness and hotness and hand tremors is this the action of the Kavian chemotype? It got worst with constant use I wake up sometimes with migraine due to bruxism(grinding teeth)..
I am guessing Kavian is not the chemotype releated to GABA?

Update: I increased my pristiq dose from 50mg to 100mg and the previously mentions symtpms got worst... Switched to heavies.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I currently use pristiq (SNRI) and have been using heady kavas I notice Jaw clenching face redness and hotness and hand tremors is this the action of the Kavian chemotype? It got worst with constant use I wake up sometimes with migraine due to bruxism(grinding teeth)..
I am guessing Kavian is not the chemotype releated to GABA?
Hi @Alark, Kavain is the kavalactone which is related to GABA or at least the most studied kavalactone in relation to the GABA-A receptor. It acts as a positive allosteric modulator (it changes how reactive the receptor is in the presence of the endogenous GABA neurotransmitter).

You're not the first person to report bruxism with kava, and you certainly wont be the last. Desvenlafaxine will depend on the dose as to which system you're targeting. The higher the dose, the further up the chain you go in effect. Starting with serotonin, then on to norepinephrine, then to dopamine at the highest doses. Kava is also dopaminergic in action, causing the reduction of dopamine in some areas of the brain and an increase in others.

If you're taking large doses of prestiq, then the dopamine effect is likely combining with that of the kava and causing the bruxism. It's more likely to occur with kava in combination with drugs that effect the serotonin, dopamine or norepinephrine system, however it's not a guarantee that it will happen.

There currently are no studies relating to kava and bruxism, however I've experienced this myself, so it's just something we currently don't have any replicable data on.

Alark

Kava Curious
Hi @Alark, Kavain is the kavalactone which is related to GABA or at least the most studied kavalactone in relation to the GABA-A receptor. It acts as a positive allosteric modulator (it changes how reactive the receptor is in the presence of the endogenous GABA neurotransmitter).

You're not the first person to report bruxism with kava, and you certainly wont be the last. Desvenlafaxine will depend on the dose as to which system you're targeting. The higher the dose, the further up the chain you go in effect. Starting with serotonin, then on to norepinephrine, then to dopamine at the highest doses. Kava is also dopaminergic in action, causing the reduction of dopamine in some areas of the brain and an increase in others.

If you're taking large doses of prestiq, then the dopamine effect is likely combining with that of the kava and causing the bruxism. It's more likely to occur with kava in combination with drugs that effect the serotonin, dopamine or norepinephrine system, however it's not a guarantee that it will happen.

There currently are no studies relating to kava and bruxism, however I've experienced this myself, so it's just something we currently don't have any replicable data on.
Just to update you it's definitely the kavian-focused kava + the pristiq.. I have recently upped the pristiq dose from 50mg - 100mg and the sysmtoms increased even more.. switched to heavy kava the symptoms are slowly diminishing..

The euphoria effect is even stronger with pristiq but when it wears off... DAMN..

D

Deleted member 9642

You're not the first person to report bruxism with kava, and you certainly wont be the last.
I hadn't made the connection between kava and bruxism until a few days ago. I understand better now and I had this problem before, but it is clearly accentuated by taking certain varieties of kava.