What's new

Heady vs Heavy confusion for anti-anxiety.

Jayce

Hi, I am new to the forums and I have a question regarding heady vs. heavy strains. I am aware that most people describe heady as more mental and heavy as more of a sedative and body relaxation feel. My confusion is, I see a lot of people saying heady is not too good for social anxiety but then, I also see a lot of people say the exact opposite. My question is, should I go with a heavy or heady kava to help my social anxiety (at school).

I have looked at GHK and some people are recommending Moi or Mahakea for social anxiety? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I recommend a sample pack and you can try different varieties. I prefer heavy (Mahakea/Boroguru/Papa Kea) but M'oi provides a nice blast of energy mid-day. Lately most of my kava ingestion is in the middle of the night (helps put me back to sleep if I wake up)--and it has a nice afterglow into the next day that allows me to be as social as I need to.

MikeB

I like Mo'i
I haven't tried Mahakea, but I can tell you that Mo'i is so effective for managing anxiety that it's actually transformed my entire life. Also, Mo'i is a very well-known strain around here - lots of people have used it, and so I highly recommend giving that a shot. Instant is probably the way to go.

Let's get back to basics. If you care about managing anxiety, then you really care about two things:

1) Does this treat the core symptoms?
2) Does it have any adverse effects?

I can definitely say that for Mo'i, the answer to #1 is a resounding yes.

For #2, it performs better than any other strain of Kava I've tried so far. Specifically: it is NOT sedating, it does NOT disrupt mental function, and it does NOT make you drowsy. I can drink it at work and still get stuff done. Other strains have different effects in that regard.

Regarding the terminology used here, in my experience, "headiness," "heaviness," and "anxiolysis" are three different independent dimensions that Kava can go in. As an example, Gaia Herbs caps are pretty heady, but I didn't get much of an anti-anxiety effect from them. However, I will say that "heaviness" is something that you might consider an adverse effect for certain situation - for instance, if it's sedating you when you want to be functional and working.

Hope that helps!

Jayce

I haven't tried Mahakea, but I can tell you that Mo'i is so effective for managing anxiety that it's actually transformed my entire life. Also, Mo'i is a very well-known strain around here - lots of people have used it, and so I highly recommend giving that a shot. Instant is probably the way to go.

Let's get back to basics. If you care about managing anxiety, then you really care about two things:

1) Does this treat the core symptoms?
2) Does it have any adverse effects?

I can definitely say that for Mo'i, the answer to #1 is a resounding yes.

For #2, it performs better than any other strain of Kava I've tried so far. Specifically: it is NOT sedating, it does NOT disrupt mental function, and it does NOT make you drowsy. I can drink it at work and still get stuff done. Other strains have different effects in that regard.

Regarding the terminology used here, in my experience, "headiness," "heaviness," and "anxiolysis" are three different independent dimensions that Kava can go in. As an example, Gaia Herbs caps are pretty heady, but I didn't get much of an anti-anxiety effect from them. However, I will say that "heaviness" is something that you might consider an adverse effect for certain situation - for instance, if it's sedating you when you want to be functional and working.

Hope that helps!
Thanks! I may order some Mo'i instant and see where it goes from there.

Jayce

I recommend a sample pack and you can try different varieties. I prefer heavy (Mahakea/Boroguru/Papa Kea) but M'oi provides a nice blast of energy mid-day. Lately most of my kava ingestion is in the middle of the night (helps put me back to sleep if I wake up)--and it has a nice afterglow into the next day that allows me to be as social as I need to.
Do you have any sample packs you personally recommend?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
If you are at school I would avoid a strong heavy kava. You will not want to do anything crept get couch locked. Look for a balanced kava. Mahakea is balanced, but high in kavalactons so it's easy to cross into krunk land. I use moi instant myself in the mornings as a small boost b4 work. Not enough to visit krunk land though. If you want something that for me hits a good balance with out going to far either way try the kava candies. You will not get the full kava experience, but they can take the edge off and you look a lot cooler popping one in your mouth. Chugging Regular ol grog in between class and gagging a few time may hurt your love life a bit!

Reactions: EQ

EQ

Atman
If you are at school I would avoid a strong heavy kava. You will not want to do anything crept get couch locked. Look for a balanced kava. Mahakea is balanced, but high in kavalactons so it's easy to cross into krunk land. I use moi instant myself in the mornings as a small boost b4 work. Not enough to visit krunk land though. If you want something that for me hits a good balance with out going to far either way try the kava candies. You will not get the full kava experience, but they can take the edge off and you look a lot cooler popping one in your mouth. Chugging Regular ol grog in between class and gagging a few time may hurt your love life a bit!
I also can say the kava candies are amazing.
They offer a small dose of theruputic relief. Are easily consumed. Super portable. And most importantly you can pop them in the police station without anyone asking questions.

MikeB

I like Mo'i
I like the kava candies but so far they haven't been as clean as Mo'i. They seem to cloud my thinking a bit, make me a bit slower. I know that they're mixed with other stuff than just kava so that might have something to do with it.