What's new

Heady vs Heavy kavas in relation to Glutamate activity?

Has anyone come across any information related to the glutamate activity in sodium channels in relation to heady vs heavy kavas? I"m mainly interested in seeing if a heady Kava doesn't hinder glutamate activity as much as a heavy Kava does.
I am curious about the chemotypes and their relation to glutamate activity between heady and heavy Kavas.
I am noticing an intolerance to headier Kavas as of late and am researching some things.

atticus.

I did come across this. Looks like 4 and 6 chemo's inhibit the sodium channels.

Pharmacodynamics[edit]
The following pharmacological actions have been reported for kava and/or its major active constituents:[34]

Receptor binding assays with botanical extracts have revealed direct interactions of leaf extracts of kava (which appear to be more active than root extracts) with the GABA (i.e., main) binding site of the GABAAreceptor, the D2 receptor, the μ- and δ-opioid receptors, and the H1 and H2 receptors.[36][37] Weak interaction with the 5-HT6 and 5-HT7 receptors and the benzodiazepine site of the GABAA receptor was also observed.[36]

Potentiation of GABAA receptor activity may underlie the anxiolytic effects of kava, while elevation of dopamine levels in the nucleus accumbens likely underlie the moderately psychotropic effects the plant can produce. Changes in the activity of 5-HT neurons could explain the sleep-inducing action [38] However, failure of the GABAA receptor inhibitor flumazenil to reverse the anxiolytic effects of kava in mice suggests that benzodiazepine-like effects are not contributing to the pharmacological profile of kava extracts.[39]

Heavy, long-term use of kava has been found to be free of association with reduced ability in saccade and cognitive tests, but has been associated with elevated liver enzymes.[40]

Last edited:
A good find. I didn't know the implications of Kava in reference to mood stabilization. Lamictal is something they prescribe for Bipolar patients. So, Kava may have some implications with that disorder.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11642654
full article.
https://www.docdroid.net/IzAfFVr/kava-kava-bipolar.pdf
So, if any of you guys know of folks struggling with Bipolar or mood disorder...this may be an avenue for them to research to help. With research of course.

Kava pyrones exert effects on neuronal transmission and transmembraneous cation currents similar to established mood stabilizers--a review.

Last edited: