What's new

Health benefits of kava

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all - I came across this video recently and figured I’d share it:
It talks about some interesting health benefits of kava. The claim about starving out cancer cells and strengthening the immune system is quite interesting - anyone heard that before?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi all - I came across this video recently and figured I’d share it:
It talks about some interesting health benefits of kava. The claim about starving out cancer cells and strengthening the immune system is quite interesting - anyone heard that before?
That's pretty spot on and he was clear with the disclaimer in the beginning. He's also promoting AOK, which sell really good noble kava.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I think FKB -a compound in kava, causes cancer cell apoptosis in some manner. From my experience personally, I can’t speak to any immune boosting effects. There are definitely minor short and mid term side effects, such as nausea, weight loss, dry or chapped skin, increased cholesterol (I thought only good cholesterol, but some older drinkers here seem concerned) and perhaps most problematic, dehydration. I have my doubts that long term kava use is beneficial for the body. Certainly not harmful like alcohol or other things,but I think it is best to use in cycle, maybe 1 month off one month on, or 3x per week if you were looking to get true health benefits without an equal health cost. That said, I use it daily. At the end of the day, too much of anything is not the best.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
I think FKB -a compound in kava, causes cancer cell apoptosis in some manner. From my experience personally, I can’t speak to any immune boosting effects. There are definitely minor short and mid term side effects, such as nausea, weight loss, dry or chapped skin, increased cholesterol (I thought only good cholesterol, but some older drinkers here seem concerned) and perhaps most problematic, dehydration. I have my doubts that long term kava use is beneficial for the body. Certainly not harmful like alcohol or other things,but I think it is best to use in cycle, maybe 1 month off one month on, or 3x per week if you were looking to get true health benefits without an equal health cost. That said, I use it daily. At the end of the day, too much of anything is not the best.
Thanks. Can you elaborate on the cholesterol impacts? I have low hdl and high triglycerides and am working on that, so if kava may negatively impact my numbers I may want to reconsider my kava drinking which is already sporadic as is. Thanks.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
The primary health benefit of Kava - for me - is keeping me level and away from other more harmful substances. Another health benefit is that Kava helps you maintain healthy weight and blood pressure because it suppresses your appetite, particularly if you drink it in the evening. So I basically do intermittent fasting instead of eating three meals. Along with jogging and strength training, I drink Kava to stay healthy, emotionally balanced, and clear-headed.

I don't think these benefits can be understated.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
The primary health benefit of Kava - for me - is keeping me level and away from other more harmful substances. Another health benefit is that Kava helps you maintain healthy weight and blood pressure because it suppresses your appetite, particularly if you drink it in the evening. So I basically do intermittent fasting instead of eating three meals. Along with jogging and strength training, I drink Kava to stay healthy, emotionally balanced, and clear-headed.

At this point it is also a good bet that regular kava drinking can greatly reduce risk of developing several forms of cancer. It is a slightly less "good bet" that regular kava drinking can prevent Alzheimers. The points you bring out are also extremely good reasons. "Keeping me level"-- yes I sure agree with that. For folks who do not get it or question the taste, I have to keep pointing at these benefits which obviously lead to a healthy, long, life.

ThePiper

Kava Lover

The weight loss factor is one of my biggest problems! More than appetite though, IME.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Flavokawain B is toxic to cancer cells but unfortunately, toxic for normal liver cells as well.

Of noble cultivars, yangonin is probably the most suspicious kavalactone albeit not the most suspicious like DHK that makes one drowsy next day.