What's new

Hello! and a question I haven't seen asked before

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Hi! I'm new to the forums, but been drinking kava for three years now, pretty much daily. It's been a lifesaver and got me off a hella lot of psych meds that were making me very ill. I've learned a lot from these forums on the journey, so thank you!

I'm in Australia. Sigh. This has made it a long and expensive road thanks to our misguided kava laws, but I'm pretty well versed in what our options are here now, so if any other Aussies want info, hit me up.

I have an impressive reverse tolerance--up to 4 weeks--per strain. I don't know if this is a common thing, it doesn't seem so from the reading I've done. But I always come up against it when I switch, which means I try to stick to the same batch for a reasonable amount of time. I'm on KWK's Borogu at the moment but nearly out and need to go back to my el cheapo stash till I save for some more KWK.

I stick to micro and instants, because I've never gotten much effect from the traditional brew. I've tried a few different techniques (traditional, blender) and additions (fats, lethicin) and a good ten different vendors. While I get some numbing, I don't get the buzz I get with the micro. No idea what I'm doing wrong, but for now, happy to stick to micronized as I use much less of it anyway, the cost is comparable.

My question! I'm curious that I don't seem to handle a second round very well, even if it is hours after the first. I can double the quantity of the first--6 tbsps of micro, with no ill effects, but for some reason if I have 3 tbsps in the morning, have some lunch, and then fast up for a night session, I'll get decent nausea and none of the buzz of the morning session. Both sessions I'll fast 3-4 hours before.
Might just be one of my kava quirks--I seem to have a few--but would be interested to hear if anyone had ideas on this.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I find two sessions a day too much, I expect it's down to my body not being able to hydrate fast enough before the second round.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi! I'm new to the forums, but been drinking kava for three years now, pretty much daily. It's been a lifesaver and got me off a hella lot of psych meds that were making me very ill. I've learned a lot from these forums on the journey, so thank you!

I'm in Australia. Sigh. This has made it a long and expensive road thanks to our misguided kava laws, but I'm pretty well versed in what our options are here now, so if any other Aussies want info, hit me up.

I have an impressive reverse tolerance--up to 4 weeks--per strain. I don't know if this is a common thing, it doesn't seem so from the reading I've done. But I always come up against it when I switch, which means I try to stick to the same batch for a reasonable amount of time. I'm on KWK's Borogu at the moment but nearly out and need to go back to my el cheapo stash till I save for some more KWK.

I stick to micro and instants, because I've never gotten much effect from the traditional brew. I've tried a few different techniques (traditional, blender) and additions (fats, lethicin) and a good ten different vendors. While I get some numbing, I don't get the buzz I get with the micro. No idea what I'm doing wrong, but for now, happy to stick to micronized as I use much less of it anyway, the cost is comparable.

My question! I'm curious that I don't seem to handle a second round very well, even if it is hours after the first. I can double the quantity of the first--6 tbsps of micro, with no ill effects, but for some reason if I have 3 tbsps in the morning, have some lunch, and then fast up for a night session, I'll get decent nausea and none of the buzz of the morning session. Both sessions I'll fast 3-4 hours before.
Might just be one of my kava quirks--I seem to have a few--but would be interested to hear if anyone had ideas on this.
Bula!

KWK Borogu IS my cheapo stash. :)

Oh, and I never drink the smell kava twice in a row. Typically I will drink anywhere from 3 to 10 different kavas in a single day. I guess you and I are polar opposites, so the universe can balance.

So naturally I only drink medium grind grog. I virtually never get any numbing ever, not since the very beginning with kava, and I always get that buzz, even from kavas people complain are horribly weak.

Given that we are complete polar opposites in our kava experiences, except that we both drink it every day and it vastly improved our lives, I can't possibly offer a single word that could help but I sure hope it works out for you.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Well, at the very least, your story offers some hope. I've still not broken through the dreaded RT successfully as yet, and it's been around three weeks.
Here's hoping :)
Redrider, it's worth that initial frustration, truly. I've never looked back; in terms of a healthy alternative to alcohol, benzos, and even (for me) lithium, it takes the cake. Are you drinking micronized?
Hmm now I'm wondering if I just never broke through my RT with the traditional prep...is it possible it takes LONGER than 4 weeks for that with me? I don't think I'm willing to try and find out :D stick to the easiest path, I think!!

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I find two sessions a day too much, I expect it's down to my body not being able to hydrate fast enough before the second round.
Gosh, that's reassuring if even a vendor will hold back from a second session!
My body is sensitive to all sorts of things, so the nausea doesn't surprise me. I'm very curious as to why I wouldn't feel the good effects, though. Perhaps just the kava telling me I've had enough for my body type...

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
KWK Borogu IS my cheapo stash. :)
Given that we are complete polar opposites in our kava experiences, except that we both drink it every day and it vastly improved our lives, I can't possibly offer a single word that could help but I sure hope it works out for you.
haha thanks Krunkie. I've read so many of your posts over the years your face feels like an old friend ::happyshell:: thanks for always being so generous with your knowledge.
tell me your Borogu is not micronized!! your cheapo stash!! i wish. i need a fair amount more than the recommended dose and I go through 8oz in a few days :-| which is still half the amount I need to use to get same effect from MY cheapo stash (KK), and it tastes waaaaay better, and so much easier on my gut.
It continues to amaze me how diverse the interaction between kava and individual can be. It's really a drink that encourages you to listen to your own body.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Gosh, that's reassuring if even a vendor will hold back from a second session!
My body is sensitive to all sorts of things, so the nausea doesn't surprise me. I'm very curious as to why I wouldn't feel the good effects, though. Perhaps just the kava telling me I've had enough for my body type...
Maybe try one session a day with the medium grind but mix it really strong one time and see if you feel that. Use the blender with a cup of milk and 3 cups of water, a full cup of root, blend for a minute and strain. Then chug the first cup and see what happens. You'll probably need to spread the shells out quite well to avoid the nausea. Do that with something like stone, supreme, hiwa, plenty of other options, and see if you feel anything then.

@Krunkie McKrunkface is everyone's old friend they never knew they had until they met him.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Just medium grind Borogu. Mike had a nice sale on it. I have never had micro of any kid. Only instant I have had is the Vanuatu fresh green stuff and homemade flakes and instant.

FWIW I had an initial 2 month RT and the learning curve + RT + “time of experimentation” etc to get to a stabilized normal consistent routine took about 6 to 7 months, as it did also for my wife. At the end of that time, tho, I could drink kava all day every day, no negative effects except very slight occasional demo, which was eliminated when I switched to sipping through a bombilla. And I had so many beneficial effects I can’t even enumerate them all as I am still discovering some. Also, I think some effects are subtle, take a long time, and involve the obscure forgotten non-recreational KLs, like neuro-protection, which someday may prove the greatest benefit of all.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
haha thanks Krunkie. I've read so many of your posts over the years your face feels like an old friend ::happyshell:: thanks for always being so generous with your knowledge.
oh, I inherited that. My father was a pompous windbag, too. Even worse in some ways, but a charming, brilliant man who could play a decent stride piano and had the same accent as Edward.