What's new

Hello from TN!

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Afternoon everyone!

I stumbled across kava looking for an alternative to alcohol. I noticed I was starting to drink more since 2020 started and was not liking how much alcohol I was drinking on a weekly basis just to relax in the evening. I was drinking chamomile in the evenings, but wanted something to curb my anxiety and just make me fee happy like alcohol did without the horrendous side effects the next morning. To add to the double whammy I quit nicotine in 2012, but have been using alcohol as a replacement. 2020 just amplified this and I noticed it was starting to be a problem. I am a happy person when I drink and rarely have more than two drinks, but I do not want my kids growing up with that. So I started to search for a change and this is where discovered kava.

I served in Army from 2005-2009 and saw combat during that time. Alcohol has always been my outlet for my anxiety, stress, and back pain. Kava does all that without impairment, bad decisions, and hangovers the next morning. What is even better is my wife approves of it. After my second son is born she is wanting to try it. That is pretty big considering my wife is ALWAYS looking out for my health decisions and does not like anything that controls you. Kava does not do that.

I'm only a month into my kava journey. So far my choice is KWK Loa Waka and have some KWK Tongan Pouni Ono which will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to try that. I've been prepping with the traditional method as I have found that to be the least messiest and easiest way to prepare. I've been using 4 tablespoons of Loa Waka for the first batch, and do a second wash for maintenance. I'm loving this stuff.

Bula!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Afternoon everyone!

I stumbled across kava looking for an alternative to alcohol. I noticed I was starting to drink more since 2020 started and was not liking how much alcohol I was drinking on a weekly basis just to relax in the evening. I was drinking chamomile in the evenings, but wanted something to curb my anxiety and just make me fee happy like alcohol did without the horrendous side effects the next morning. To add to the double whammy I quit nicotine in 2012, but have been using alcohol as a replacement. 2020 just amplified this and I noticed it was starting to be a problem. I am a happy person when I drink and rarely have more than two drinks, but I do not want my kids growing up with that. So I started to search for a change and this is where discovered kava.

I served in Army from 2005-2009 and saw combat during that time. Alcohol has always been my outlet for my anxiety, stress, and back pain. Kava does all that without impairment, bad decisions, and hangovers the next morning. What is even better is my wife approves of it. After my second son is born she is wanting to try it. That is pretty big considering my wife is ALWAYS looking out for my health decisions and does not like anything that controls you. Kava does not do that.

I'm only a month into my kava journey. So far my choice is KWK Loa Waka and have some KWK Tongan Pouni Ono which will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to try that. I've been prepping with the traditional method as I have found that to be the least messiest and easiest way to prepare. I've been using 4 tablespoons of Loa Waka for the first batch, and do a second wash for maintenance. I'm loving this stuff.

Bula!
Welcome!

Bula from Nashville :)

It's always so encouraging when kava drinkers post their positive stories like this. Thank you. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for taking the time to add kava to your life.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Welcome!

Bula from Nashville :)

It's always so encouraging when kava drinkers post their positive stories like this. Thank you. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for taking the time to add kava to your life.
Thank you for the welcome! I'm glad to add to the positive stories as I was heading down a path I did not like.

I'm in Coopertown about 30 minutes north of Nashville. So we are not far! You know any local places around the Nashville areas that sell good kava? I'd like to support a local business that has a good rep.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thank you for the welcome! I'm glad to add to the positive stories as I was heading down a path I did not like.

I'm in Coopertown about 30 minutes north of Nashville. So we are not far! You know any local places around the Nashville areas that sell good kava? I'd like to support a local business that has a good rep.
Honestly your best bet is ordering online at the moment. We had The High Garden which was destroyed by the Tornado earlier this year, and the other is GrowHouse Method, who sells the same kalm with kava products you enjoy now. I would have expected a full on dedicated kava bar in Nashville by now considering all of the different universities that converge in the city.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Honestly your best bet is ordering online at the moment. We had The High Garden which was destroyed by the Tornado earlier this year, and the other is GrowHouse Method, who sells the same kalm with kava products you enjoy now. I would have expected a full on dedicated kava bar in Nashville by now considering all of the different universities that converge in the city.
I was figuring ordering online would still be the best bet. Just in case I needed an emergency resupply, but its looking like that Growhouse Method is by appointment only. As far as a Kava bar if there was one downtown I may actually venture down there. I try to steer clear of downtown when I can. I've never been a big city person. This small town boy doesn't get out much LOL.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I was figuring ordering online would still be the best bet. Just in case I needed an emergency resupply, but its looking like that Growhouse Method is by appointment only. As far as a Kava bar if there was one downtown I may actually venture down there. I try to steer clear of downtown when I can. I've never been a big city person. This small town boy doesn't get out much LOL.
I work downtown and I promise it's all I can do to escape every afternoon.

hightides42

our Roots run deep
Salute! @jewalker7842 welcome to KF! much honor to you for kicking alcohol to the curb, post deployment, tenfold you did so over concerns for your miniature human observers!
fellow vet here, 22yr retired near end of your tour and in civies within 6mo from combat redeploy. spent first 5 years post combat living in the bottom many alcohol bottles then 7 more acting like i had some control over my drinking habits (e.g. severe alcoholism) .

18mo ago my partner found kava and introduced me that summer but it wasn't until Thanksgiving (2019) i decided to really give it a daily trial and by 1Jan20 I'd set alcohol completely aside. it has been a lifesaver to say the least.

the two KWK cultivars you mention, loa waka and pouni ono, i found to be both strong and "heady". I also like their vula waka and Samoan both very balanced for me. and their borongoru, very good, strong and "heavy".

if you want to try very strong then do look at @Squanch72 kava, Fijian, i prefer his waka there, strong enough to easily hit the "krunk" effect.

besides some occasional KWK sessions, and couple times a week with the squanch, I've found Hawaiian 'Awa to be my daily go to. likely the 46 chemotypes work best with my system but worth checking into, @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava both medium grinds and instants and @Pu'u O Hoku Ranch for fresh / frozen (which is like a whole other level of kava experience!)

glad to see you made it here, Bula! ::KavaChug::

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Salute! @jewalker7842 welcome to KF! much honor to you for kicking alcohol to the curb, post deployment, tenfold you did so over concerns for your miniature human observers!
fellow vet here, 22yr retired near end of your tour and in civies within 6mo from combat redeploy. spent first 5 years post combat living in the bottom many alcohol bottles then 7 more acting like i had some control over my drinking habits (e.g. severe alcoholism) .

18mo ago my partner found kava and introduced me that summer but it wasn't until Thanksgiving (2019) i decided to really give it a daily trial and by 1Jan20 I'd set alcohol completely aside. it has been a lifesaver to say the least.

the two KWK cultivars you mention, loa waka and pouni ono, i found to be both strong and "heady". I also like their vula waka and Samoan both very balanced for me. and their borongoru, very good, strong and "heavy".

if you want to try very strong then do look at @Squanch72 kava, Fijian, i prefer his waka there, strong enough to easily hit the "krunk" effect.

besides some occasional KWK sessions, and couple times a week with the squanch, I've found Hawaiian 'Awa to be my daily go to. likely the 46 chemotypes work best with my system but worth checking into, @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava both medium grinds and instants and @Pu'u O Hoku Ranch for fresh / frozen (which is like a whole other level of kava experience!)

glad to see you made it here, Bula! ::KavaChug::

Thank you sir! Glad to be here! I mainly kicked alcohol to the curb for the little ones and it's the best decision i've made. When I make it my son runs for cover as he hates the smell and taste. He does not know why I drink it and I do not change who I am when I do. I decided I know my kava enough now to get rooted or krunked tonight. Whatever we call it and man i'm feeling good without any of the inebriation. I'm so glad I made the switch. Not to mention I feel better over all after cutting out alcohol. Bula!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I would have expected a full on dedicated kava bar in Nashville by now considering all of the different universities that converge in the city.
Maybe this is the nudge you need to get something going downtown, who better to open a kava bar? :unsure:

I'll fly in :D

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Maybe this is the nudge you need to get something going downtown, who better to open a kava bar? :unsure:

I'll fly in :D
You better plan on staying then, cause I'll need someone to run it! Between KF, work, FB and reddit and the facts of the day I'm afraid of trying to stretch any further, lol