What's new

Help - Kava making supplies?

kl.Animus

Hello all,
I am new to the kava scene and just ordered some stone kava root powder from nakamal @ home yesterday. I wish I'd have thought to buy a straining bag and lecithin granules as well since they are only a few bucks each, but I didn't realize those were so useful in kava preparation.
I could order them now but that would require further waiting and I am eager to try kava. What else works well as a strainer and what common places can it be found? I know lecithin is commonly found at walmart and health food stores but it seems like these are more of the pill/liquid form. I know the Nakamal @ home recipe calls for a teaspoon and I was wondering if a teaspoon works regardless of whether it is in granual or pill/liquid form. If not how much should I use?
Thanks!
PS: Sorry about the multiple posts. There was some error when I tried to post and it resulted in copies. I deleted the copies so it should be good now.

kl.Animus

My Stone Kava came today but I won't be able to try it until tonight after work. I thought of a few more questions. Does Kava powder lose its potency over time? Would storing it in the freezer or fridge help keep it fresh? The instructions say in a well sealed container it can last about 3 days, but I assume that refers to the drink not the powder.

kl.alohasteve

Kava Curious
1. Strainers - You'll definitely need a strainer. You can use a t-shirt, pantyhose, or paint strainers (clean from the hardware store), or anything similar. Nakamal's strainers are ok, but I prefer Hawaiian Kava Center or Kule Kava if you want to buy one from a kava seller.

Also, check this thread for discussion of strainers: http://kavalounge.yuku.co...-to-the-forum#reply-1503

2. Lecithin - You don't need this to enjoy kava but I think you can get it at a grocery store. When I do use it, I prefer Kona Kava's since it's a bit finer and dissolves a little easier.

3. Storage - I always just my kava powder in a kitchen cupboard, no need to refrigerate or freeze until you actually prepare it. There's probably some debate about whether it loses potency over time, but I wouldn't worry about it, just keep it sealed in a cool, dark place.

4. Stone - A note on preparation with Nakamal's instructions, they recommend 2 cups of water per cup of kava, I believe, which is really strong. I believe the prevailing opinion on this forum is that approximately 2 tablespoons of kava per cup of water is a better mix. Good luck!

kl.Animus

Thanks for the help. I grabbed some pantyhose and it worked great as a strainer. I also used a little over 1/2 cup powder with 2 cups of water to start and might increase it a bit more on subsequent uses.
Thanks again for the response!

kl.alohasteve

Kava Curious
Glad you found a strainer that works and hope you enjoy the Stone. Not my favorite but Nakamal definitely has something for everybody.

I edited my response above, but it should have read TWO tablespoons per cup, not six. But it sounds like you found a good measurement for yourself. 2 tablespoons of kava per cup of water seems to yield the most efficient/effective results for me personally. I was using more and not really noticing much difference.

kl.Animus

Well it certainly worked. I felt effects from it, but it also caused slight nausea. I don't know if this is from the kava or because I hadn't eaten much for several hours before drinking or because I don't enjoy the taste.
I had heard the purpose of the lecithin was to add fat, which in turn helps with the extraction of the kavalactones. Would it be possible to follow the same procedure but to use milk instead of water, and then add chocolate powder such as nesquik to make it taste better while still getting the full effects?

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Yeah, people have used it, but I would avoid milk because of the protein casein, which has morphine-like effects for some people. I've used bacon grease, and fresh bacon grease is my favorite emulsifier. My second favorite is hazelnut oil. (It's a British thing I picked up from living with Elizabeth II for so many decades). I do have a big jar of The Lecithin from Lewis Labs. It's a wonderful pineapple-coconut naturally flavored lecithin that adds a tropical twist to a tropical beverage. Good stuff.

For straining, I recommend going to Ace or Lowe's and just picking up a few 5-gallon paint strainers. Seriously, this is what Nakamal@Home et. al. are selling, as a general rule.

For nausea, thinner kava can help, as can ginger tea.

I've never drunk so much kava I've vomited. John Frum once said to me in His Divine Wisdom, "how do you know you've had enough, until you've had too much?" But John also said, "drugs are really expensive," and I'd hate to waste kava by hurling.