What's new

Help with identification please

Po_lina

Greetings from Papaikou! I was wondering if I could get some help with identification. I was given a branch off of an unknown plant. Dismissed it as an Isa at first, (on account of the bumps and the tough stalk), but propagated it anyways. Now as I'm watching the keiki grow, and learning more about the different varieties grown on the island, I'm beginning to get a bit skeptical:
At 4 mo of age the keiki are not displaying spots. They are, however, showing purple streaks at the base and some lenticels at the nodes. There are however newer stalks pictured and those are pretty spotty. Could this be a Kumakua or Honokaneiki? Or perhaps Isa can throw all the common identifiers when it gets a bit older?
I only have secondhand pictures of the mama plant. Am told that it's about 10 years old and 14 ft tall (you can see the roof corner for comparison in one of the pictures). I remember the flowers being on the bigger side and I circled the flower in red on the last picture, but I don't have any personal experiences with older plants. Perhaps that changes with age? Sorry for the bad pictures, any leads would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
- Polina

Attachments

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Greetings from Papaikou! I was wondering if I could get some help with identification. I was given a branch off of an unknown plant. Dismissed it as an Isa at first, (on account of the bumps and the tough stalk), but propagated it anyways. Now as I'm watching the keiki grow, and learning more about the different varieties grown on the island, I'm beginning to get a bit skeptical:
At 4 mo of age the keiki are not displaying spots. They are, however, showing purple streaks at the base and some lenticels at the nodes. There are however newer stalks pictured and those are pretty spotty. Could this be a Kumakua or Honokaneiki? Or perhaps Isa can throw all the common identifiers when it gets a bit older?
I only have secondhand pictures of the mama plant. Am told that it's about 10 years old and 14 ft tall (you can see the roof corner for comparison in one of the pictures). I remember the flowers being on the bigger side and I circled the flower in red on the last picture, but I don't have any personal experiences with older plants. Perhaps that changes with age? Sorry for the bad pictures, any leads would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
- Polina
You almost never see that much striation (photo 20230316) in Kumakua...maybe a really old plant. So I suggest this 'awa plant is HonokaneIki, that said, HonokaneIki can mutate to Papa Kea. I am in Pepe'ekeo so we are nearby. Is the small 'awa- 20230703 same ? If so that's interesting because the absence of any lenticels or stripes is classic Kumakua. But those can develop later. Some , but not all , the spots in your photos are hints of Phoma which most 'awa plants in Hawai'i have but stays checked.

Last edited:

Po_lina

Yes, all from the same branch! The variance of this plant has been throwing me off but it's interesting that it could go from long internodes to short: that's a rather unexpected piece of information.

I'm interested in learning more about mature plants and the kinds of mutations they could go through. Seems like 'awa just does whatever it wants, although I'm sure that's dependant on a multitude of factors such as light and soil and pest pressure. And shucks on the Phoma, I definitely see that now too. Unfortunate that sharing and gifting plants now could lead to all sorts of unpleasantness. Looks like I'll be referring to the Ctahr pub. on Shothole for treatment.

Thank you for the help! I'll pass the word on to my friend - I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that it's not an Isa. He's in Kukuihaele, that's practically next door to Honokane Iki

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Yes, all from the same branch! The variance of this plant has been throwing me off but it's interesting that it could go from long internodes to short: that's a rather unexpected piece of information.

I'm interested in learning more about mature plants and the kinds of mutations they could go through. Seems like 'awa just does whatever it wants, although I'm sure that's dependant on a multitude of factors such as light and soil and pest pressure. And shucks on the Phoma, I definitely see that now too. Unfortunate that sharing and gifting plants now could lead to all sorts of unpleasantness. Looks like I'll be referring to the Ctahr pub. on Shothole for treatment.

Thank you for the help! I'll pass the word on to my friend - I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that it's not an Isa. He's in Kukuihaele, that's practically next door to Honokane Iki
Yes for sure to 'awa being a shape-shifter! Historic accounts say Papa 'Ele'ele goes to Mo'i and Hiwa, I see this in my yard.
HonokaneIki can become Hiwa, Nene can change to HonokaneIki. Remarkable plant.

Po_lina

Dang, really? Light to dark, short to long? That's nuts!
I once heard that you have to clone in three times to " stabilize genetics" but that almost seems comical now. Or, rather, just overly simplified. There's some pages on the topic out there in the internet ethers, but I'd have to find my glasses and a botanical terms dictionary.
For now I think I'm going to finish my coffee and spend what's left of the morning messing with my plants.
Thank you for all the help!! Looking forward to learning more on the forums!!