What's new

Help with identification

Hi, first time visiting the site or posting. Can someone please help with identification of these plants? I'm having trouble comparing/confirming with the adult pics online and uncle who I got them from wasn't really sure. He said mother plant was a little over head high and it grows upright but then bends over laterally, he said from the wind. Thank you!
20210624_134304.jpg
20210624_134327.jpg

Welcome! Beautiful plants you have there.

Let's summon help :)

@Alia @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

I'm probably wrong, but that reminds me of a young Papa Ele'Ele
Thanks! That was kind of where I was leaning myself, but have much too little experience to say and since it's not 100% guaranteed this is even for sure a Hawai'ian cultivar I wasn't sure how many other possible answers there could be.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thanks! That was kind of where I was leaning myself, but have much too little experience to say and since it's not 100% guaranteed this is even for sure a Hawai'ian cultivar I wasn't sure how many other possible answers there could be.
Yes, it sure looks like Papa 'Ele'ele to me.
If the parent plant is more upright but obviously these
offspring are short internode, stout, like. I'd still
speculate Papa'Ele'ele. You have to look at the plant as
as a whole and see what the dominant charactoristic is.
If it is not from Hawaii then all bets are off.
If from Pohnpei, FSM could still be the latter since they
have it there too.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Yes, it sure looks like Papa 'Ele'ele to me.
If the parent plant is more upright but obviously these
offspring are short internode, stout, like. I'd still
speculate Papa'Ele'ele. You have to look at the plant as
as a whole and see what the dominant charactoristic is.
If it is not from Hawaii then all bets are off.
If from Pohnpei, FSM could still be the latter since they
have it there too.
I agree with Alia. Good eye kapmcrunk.

Chris

Thank you all so much ::lurvez:: I mostly just have this and a few other pics online to try to guess from:
Now with you all weighing in, the rest of the info for papa 'ele'ele seems to fit and make sense. I'm really excited that's what it is - couldn't be happier!!! Yay! Now wish me luck I don't kill them. ::onthespot::

:ROFLMAO: We like stay inside get to know each other, watch some tv, talk story...Why rush um? Good news it's already showing new growth just since Wednesday! It doesn't hate me!

And thank you, I'm pretty excited. Not even a big 'awa drinker, though I appreciate it when it's good. Keep meaning to get into it lol. Just feels like getting to be a custodian of living history. Such an amazing plant.