What's new

Herb that you may enjoy if you like Kava

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
Hey everyone! I wanted to share my thoughts on an herb that some people may be interested in trying if they're fans of kava.

Mulungu bark. I freaking love it! No offense to Kava, but Mulungu doesn't have that reverse tolerance that Kava does. Additionally, it's been pretty strong every time I've tried it, even if it was multiple nights in a row.

It's been compared to the effects of benzos. I found out about it in a forum where people were discussing herbs similar to Kava. To me it feels very sedating, relaxing, and gives a body high similar to what Kava provides. From what I've read, it's actually good for your liver (don't take my word for it). I'm not 100 percent sure it's not addictive, but I've used it for a few nights in a row and stopped, and didn't notice any discomfort.

It's helped me get a regular sleeping schedule. I get up at the same time in the morning now, I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night; it's a powerful sleep aid.

It's gabaergic like Kava. Additionally, it's pretty cheap and you can get it from online botanical shops.

Here's how I prepare it: boil water with some lemon juice, add a couple of table spoons of Mulungu bark powder, boil for 15 minutes. Strain (I use a muslin bag for this) and enjoy. You can also save the leftover bark in the freezer like you would Kava.

One side effect from it I've noticed is slightly blurred vision, making it hard to read texts on my phone once the strong effects kick in. It kind of sucks but it's also helpful to prevent me from staying up too late on my phone when I should be sleeping.

It makes me wonder if it would be a good kava potentiator.

Just thought I'd put that out there for anyone who wants to try something new. Any other herbs you kava lovers are fans of? Let's discuss.

Bula!

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting. Thank you. I harvested a lemon balm and am drying that out. It can be relaxing for digestive or for head. It makes a lemony herbal tea which tastes nice and light, though next time I"ll strive to get less roots in the brew, they added a potato flavor to the tisane.

Bula to you!

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
I found a way to make it more potent. You do a decoction where you add the powder in a pot with cold water and a squirt of lemon/lime juice, bring to a slow simmer, then cover and simmer for 20 -45 minutes. Alternatively, to make it even stronger, simmer for 20-30 minutes covered. after that, pour it all into a jar or container and put in the fridge overnight.

I'm not sure how many times you can reuse the bark, as this herb isn't well known, so I just reuse the bark once and then toss it.

Lemon balm is nice and mellow. I heard it can potentiate the effects of Kava, I posted about it in the potentiates data sheet thread.

Edit: decoction recipe is from Rosemary Gladstar book "medicinal herbs: a beginner's guide."

Last edited: