What's new

Honokane Iki root powder

Status
Not open for further replies.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I'm thinking about purchasing this 1/2 lb powder soon (like, it's in my Cart now) and wonder has anyone else tried out the powder? I read Deleted User01's review of the micronized and it sounds good. Is this more of a heady kava and not so much body? haven't seen it talked about too much. I really like Solomon's kava so that's kinda what i'm hoping to find a Hawaiian comparison to. Thanks!

D

Deleted User01

I would imagine the powder would be the same. I didn't feel much body, just the heady buzz. I used to drink a lot of Solomons and the Honokane Iki is cleaner. Since all this hoopla about Tudeis, I'm worried about Solomons now because it came from an island where people never drank Kava. I can't wait for Chris to come out with a sampler pack. One of each chemotype would be perfect. Like 3/4 samples in a package. He seems to harvest about 3 to 4 different Kavas at a time. Tedious work I'm sure.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Since all this hoopla about Tudeis, I'm worried about Solomons now because it came from an island where people never drank Kava.
Solomon Islands grows (at least) one noble cultivar from Vanuatu these days...so that's probably what we're buying. Plus it doesn't behave like a tudei. (y)

D

Deleted User01

No it doesn't behave like a Tudie but it is an unusual Kava. What is the story behind the Solomons? Do they currently drink Kava out there or did they get on he bandwagon after they saw the potential for a cash crop? Man, when you read the posts on this forum you probably learn way more than anyone intended you to know. What say you professor?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
From what I can recall, Solomon's never had any known recreational kava culture. It was only medicinal or ceremonial and likely wild kava. In the last several years they've started adopting it more socially from neighboring islands. ...they should just get more good cuttings from all over the pacific and cover the place now. :D

D

Deleted User01

Hey, I don't blame them, its a great cash crop. So here is the question that goes begging, what strain of Kava is the Solomons and what it the chemotype? Where did they get these particular cuttings? Do we have to call Lebot, Andrew, and Chris to get an answer? I like playing "Stump the Professor". :p

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I think we heard it through Lebot or Andrew (or a Dept. of Agriculture document?)...it was either MeloMelo or Borogu and I guess it took on slightly different characteristics, being grown in different soil and conditions.

D

Deleted User01

Hmmm, that's damn interesting. If you ever run across the chemotype, please pass it to me. I'm developing a spreadsheet with Kavas and their chemotypes but only the ones we buy. I don't care about the other 100 that are not for sale in this forum. If I had to guess, I would say it is a 463 but you never know. One of the Kavateers told me the other day that the Solomons gave them "ants in the pants" which translates into restlessness or nervousness. So I wonder what little ole Kavalactone makes it different than the Heady Hawaiians.

D

Deleted User01

Shakas, I want you to look at my spreadsheet. How can I upload it to you? I think the XLS extension is not supported with the upload file option.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I would imagine the powder would be the same. I didn't feel much body, just the heady buzz. I used to drink a lot of Solomons and the Honokane Iki is cleaner. Since all this hoopla about Tudeis, I'm worried about Solomons now because it came from an island where people never drank Kava. I can't wait for Chris to come out with a sampler pack. One of each chemotype would be perfect. Like 3/4 samples in a package. He seems to harvest about 3 to 4 different Kavas at a time. Tedious work I'm sure.
Ah man clean sounds great. That's the thing i really liked about Solomons as, for me, it seems like a really clean kava. Other kavas give me the heady feeling but also a little cloudiness, nothing to complain about as it's not bad and kicks down the anxiety. Excited to try this. I'm buying it now for a post-tax return reward!

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Solomons kava drank in the Solomons is just crazy stuff. I've never had such a high high, that lasted so long, followed by 2 days of feeling generally chilled out. All for <US$10.
Would love to be able to replicate it, somehow. Honiara is not a super easy place to get to (and they have many problems of their own at the moment :( )

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hay Shakas you are right, the noble kava that they are growing there in the Solomon's came from Vanuatu and it was not that long ago that they started growing the Noble kava. I do not have the Chemotype for this, yet. :)
Aloha.

Chris

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I ordered a pound of the Honokane regular root powder last night. My 1st from GHK!

I'm trying to follow the Dcotor's orders. Dr. Dre, that is..."Keep their heads ringin!" :headphones:

Status
Not open for further replies.