What's new

Hookah and Kava?

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone here smokes a hookah when they drink kava?

I just recently decided to give kava another go after quitting alcohol entirely a couple weeks ago. So I ordered some Stone and got my bag of Solomon's out to see where my reverse tolerance was (I had put it away awhile ago after several somewhat bad experiences). I had my first really nice time with it and felt like it would go perfect with a little shisha.

Anybody have any experience with the two?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
No, I just use a regular glass pipe. Don't know much about Shisha. But have friends who are into it. Don't really know if they kava while they Hook, but I will ask. Very interesting question by the way. A very cool but diverse mixture of cultures there.:woot: Much love. Roaddog...

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I tried it out with the Solomon's and it was pretty relaxing, but I think it would go better with the Stone that just came in today. I definitely wish I would have bought Stone to begin with, it's much less subtle.

No, I just use a regular glass pipe.
I'm not sure that there's anything that doesn't go well with that, Roaddog.

infraredz

BULA!
Tobacco and kava has the potential to be... not so good.

From Wikipedia:
"Methysticin [a kavalactone found in kava] induces the function of the hepatic enzyme CYP1A1, an enzyme involved in the toxification of benzo(a)pyrene (an already very toxic substance) intobenzopyrene-7,8-dihydrodiol-9,10-epoxide, one of the most highly carcinogenic substances yet discovered (often called the ultimate carcinogen). This property is shared by the related compound 7,8-dihdromethysticin, [...] As benzo(a)pyrene occurs in tobacco smoke, the carcinogenic effects of tobacco may also be increased by kava consumption.[5]"
[http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21908763]
[http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1694072/]

Last edited:

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks infraredz, that's some super-pragmatic stuff! I was not expecting replies that were so informational lol. Since it's kind of a pain in the ass to clean, I only use my hookah every once in awhile, but that's good to know.

I remember reading something about areas that consume a lot of kava have lower lung cancer rates, even when smoking is just as prevalent as it is in other places. It seems like kava is undecided on whether or not it wants to work with tobacco to give you tumors.

E

el187joker

i was wondering if i was the only one who enjoyed this combo. Not sure about anything health wise on the subject but i feel they compliment eachother nicely especially in a sociyal gathering situation. giveing a passertime inbetween servings. i have tried jus about every variaty of kava i have come across online or otherwise and i love using my hooka while sharing a bowl with a friend. i prefer more fruity flavors of shisha the stronger flavor the better.

I was wondering if anyone here smokes a hookah when they drink kava.

I just recently decided to give kava another go after quitting alcohol entirely a couple of weeks ago. So I ordered some Stone and got my bag of Solomon's out to see where my reverse tolerance was
check now(I had put it away a while ago after several somewhat bad experiences). I had my first really nice time with it and felt like it would go perfectly with a little shisha.

Does anybody have any experience with the two?
Curious if anyone else drinks kava, and what they thought of it.

Last edited: