What's new

Hot steep before kneading ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I just noticed on my latest bag of medium grind root, that the instructions advise to steep 5 minutes with the powder in the strainer in hot water.
Like a conventional tea.
It then instructs to knead after that. I have never heard of the steeping step or method, ever.
I'm curious what effect it has on the product, to do this before kneading.
I've heard of putting it in the blender before kneading. Does steeping accomplish a similar thing as the blender, for the 1st step in the process ?

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I just noticed on my latest bag of medium grind root, that the instructions advise to steep 5 minutes with the powder in the strainer in hot water.
It then instructs to knead after that.
I have never heard of the steeping step or method, ever.
I've heard of putting it in the blender before kneading. Does steeping accomplish a similar thing as the blender, for the 1st step in the process ?
I feel it helps to let the bag sit in relatively warm water for up to an hour. I’ve been using traditional prep lately as it’s way easier than blender, clean up wise.

I swish the strainer bag round back and forth for a minute at first, this alone muddies the water quite a bit.

Then periodically, I do the same thing. Each time, a larger amount of darker, oilier particulate effortlessly flows out of the strainer bag.

Before I have even kneaded, the grog is very dark and oily. So less time, effort kneading for a better result.

I used to soak the blender stuff also, but the blender does the work and agitation so it’s different.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
It then instructs to knead after that.
I have never heard of the steeping step or method, ever.

I know a lot of people that do this. They say it makes the Kava a whole lot stronger.

I prefer to knead right away

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
The roots seemed to hold the water, like they were really dry.
Thanks, that's an interesting observation and discovery.
Because often I'd wonder why some of my Aluballs would be filled with water or extra moist powder inside of the balls.
It's really weird to me, how that texture varies greatly from time to time. Perhaps that's the culprit

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Thanks, that's an interesting observation and discovery.
Because often I'd wonder why some of my Aluballs would be filled with water or extra moist powder inside of the balls.
It's really weird to me, how that texture varies greatly from time to time. Perhaps that's the culprit
@Kapmcrunk suggested it for PSL, don't want to take all the credit. It is good, peeled kava though.

Pacific Santo

Kava Curious
PSL kava was the only vendor where I felt it was necessary. Something to do with their peeling and drying process. Usually it doesn't help or hurt either way.
Hey guys!!

I do not really understand the link with peeling and drying process brother :D
Peeling should be something everyone should do actually and the drying process is our little secret as you know since no sun dry but done indoor and this is part of the gentle taste we find in our final quality products.

Soaking the kava under water before preparation is for a total different reason.
We put kava powder into water 5 to 10 minutes before preparation (this should worth for any kava but I reckon even more for PSL kava) because this make the extraction of power easier as the water had time to enter the kava powder.
Since PSL kava has a high concentration of active content, letting the kava powder into water a moment before preparation just allow you to extract more effects than you would if not soaking kava into the water before the preparation :)
Again, leaving the kava powder into water 5 to 10 min is advised for all kava powder before a traditional preparation.

As for using hot water, this is not advised. The taste would be really hard to handle when drinking.
Preparing kava from a tempt room water is totally fine.
Note: using hot water (not boiling) also allow to extract more easily kavalactone but the result beverage as for the taste & smell if totally different - less enjoyable.

Here are the main steps of preparation for PSL Kava:
- Soak powder into tempt water (5-10 min),
- Squeeze using 2 hands, knead drowning kava in the water of dilution for 5 to 10 min depending the quantity done - with a squeezing filter not to break it weekly,
- Clean your preparation with the second filter,
- Always shake/brew the kava before drinking to get the kavalactone not staying on the bottom of the bowl you are drinking.

These few steps are worth for any kava to do a traditional preparation.

PS: if you never tried this way of doing for any kava, just give a try and see the difference in effects. With PSL kava it could be from 0 to 100.
Preparation is the best way to ruin your kava session whatever quality of kava you are having - remember this guys.

Have a good weekend guys,
Take care,
Malok!
Pacific Santo Limited - Alex

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Hot water kava has revolting taste and sedative (and maybe even antipsychotic) characteristics are pronounced more relative to short-lived heady and heavy. Requires less kava.

Cold water extraction is tastier but the extraction is less efficient. Needs more kava, +50% maybe. It is a bit expensive option, then. Would offer to honoured guests :)

Pacific Santo

Kava Curious
Hot water kava has revolting taste and sedative (and maybe even antipsychotic) characteristics are pronounced more relative to short-lived heady and heavy. Requires less kava.

Cold water extraction is tastier but the extraction is less efficient. Needs more kava, +50% maybe. It is a bit expensive option, then. Would offer to honoured guests :)
agreed here!!

No use cold water my suggestion or make sure to do several time use of the kava :p tempt water too actually, many are doing this (to re-use the kava for other serve)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
There is no real correct way of kneading kava, (per se) I've never heard of soaking as that naturally happens, as you begin to blend the kava in the water. I have to admit I used to use hot (tap) water for a long time but now I use cool/ room temp tap water. You get the same traditional extraction without affecting the flavor. I've noticed using cold water works just the same (best taste) just takes a few extra minutes of TLC kneading the kava. I like using room temp/cool Poland Spring water as well, (no chlorine taste).

Pacific Santo

Kava Curious
There is no real correct way of kneading kava, (per se) I've never heard of soaking as that naturally happens, as you begin to blend the kava in the water. I have to admit I used to use hot (tap) water for a long time but now I use cool/ room temp tap water. You get the same traditional extraction without affecting the flavor. I've noticed using cold water works just the same (best taste) just takes a few extra minutes of TLC kneading the kava. I like using room temp/cool Poland Spring water as well, (no chlorine taste).
Soaking before would rehydrate and make it easier to extract.
Soaking and kneading/squeezing have a real impact but many ways to do for sure.

I personally soak before preparation to get the best of it even if I do not use hot water because I do not enjoy it like that.
Some knead with hot water then put it in fridge as well to drink it cold so they extract more and easier during prep.

I did the try many times and I cannot say soaking is not important and even more for PSL kava - this is link to concentration and extraction.
ahah I am not saying I know better than anyone, I do not want to hurt anyone feelings obviously :X3:
I will always keep learning but I know the preparation can change the outcome of a kava and not slightly.

To let you know, I am asking to all our kava bars clients to do as said before, I would not if I had not tried many many ways because I do not advise things if I am not sure this is the best I know. I want our clients to have the best to serve so I care about their prep. I am just sharing here then I know everyone have his favorite way of doing too. I do not look to impose anything to the community so far :)
Someone could find a better way obviously - it will happen and I would love it if it get the trad prep easier. So far, soaking and squeezing (not kneading only) brought the best results to me and all our testers in terms of effects strength.

Many ways to prepare, each should bring something anyways then it is important to keep in mind the waste from each prep.
A prep into mixer would work too, I tried that too and many weird ways to do ahah but again this is not the stronger so far, it is quick though ahahahah! I do not want to give this kind of ideas for prep but that was an example of tries I did ahah!

We all are looking for the most efficient way to prep because this has a big impact on the final outcome.
I tried everything crossing my mind to prep lol and I will be keen to try some more if anyone has idea for something to do. You can tell me and I would do a feedback on it.
For now, I reckon to use as I said in my last text when I do a dry kava for myself to chill because this is yet the best way found by myself and our team.

If I would not be in Vanuatu and having this amount of kava (yes we do not mind much the waste here - I guess all countries exporting is same), I would care about my waste. I would soak and do 2 hands squeeze plus kneading. When I say squeeze, I mean it, like you squeeze a towel soak of water. Give a try if you only knead and tell me what you guys think about it, if you feel a difference on your side.

(by the way, I try to share with you guys. I do not call myself the kava god, king, master or anything and I would be very pleased to hear someone giving a prep method working better than the one I use to be honest)
- Alex