What's new

How do you clean your aluballs?

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
I was just wondering about different methods everyone uses to clean their aluballs. I've tried filling my alubottle with soap and water and shaking the aluballs like if i was making a batch of kava and i've also tried just washing with soap, water and a washcloth. What i found works best though is soap, water and using a fresh (not used, eww) toothbrush.

What works best for everyone else?

swillis

Kava Curious
we just use warm water. we use ours daily so we dont really have time for a good soaping and dryout regularly. we probably wash it good weekly. just mostly washing the bottle with soap and rinse out the balls

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Rinse with warm water after use and once a week or so I'll add some white vinegar and warm soapy water and give the bottle and balls a shake.

phrasing

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I don't use the aluballs much anymore, but between soap/water, alcohol, and vinegar I find vinegar to be the best at cleaning up sticky KLs. Unfortunately you shouldn't boil the balls since the plastic shouldn't get that hot. I also tried baking soda and vinegar, but I didn't see any additional benefit. Vinegar is my go to for cleaning blenders, strainer bags, and shaker bottles at this point.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I don't use the aluballs much anymore, but between soap/water, alcohol, and vinegar I find vinegar to be the best at cleaning up sticky KLs. Unfortunately you shouldn't boil the balls since the plastic shouldn't get that hot. I also tried baking soda and vinegar, but I didn't see any additional benefit. Vinegar is my go to for cleaning blenders, strainer bags, and shaker bottles at this point.
Like @Manuel Joao I rinse mine then put them in the dishwasher. I suppose they do get hot but they always come out ok and it doesn't seem to break or melt them in any way. I always use milk in my mix so I think it's important to clean them well after each use but I have about 20 floating about so they have time to dry before I use them again.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
I'll have to try mixing in white vinegar with my routine. Sounds interesting!

I know to rinse well but have you guys noticed any lingering flavors when using the vinegar? I can't stand the flavor of vinegar!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I'll have to try mixing in white vinegar with my routine. Sounds interesting!

I know to rinse well but have you guys noticed any lingering flavors when using the vinegar? I can't stand the flavor of vinegar!
Nope. I just rinse with water after any vinegar cleaning and it removes any residual. I find that regularly soaking my strainer bags in vinegar over night helps keep them from getting gunked up with old kava and keeps them more pliable. A quick rinse with water in the morning and let them air dry and they are good to go in the afternoon.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
So i tried adding the vinegar you folks reccomended in my soap and water tonight and scrubbing out the screens with a toothbrush like normal. It seemed to be a little more effective at getting rid of any gunk. Next time I'm going to try soaking the aluballs in the soap, water, and vinegar for like 30 min before scrubbing, see if it helps even more.

Thanks for the cleaning tips so far!

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
So i tried adding the vinegar you folks reccomended in my soap and water tonight and scrubbing out the screens with a toothbrush like normal. It seemed to be a little more effective at getting rid of any gunk. Next time I'm going to try soaking the aluballs in the soap, water, and vinegar for like 30 min before scrubbing, see if it helps even more.

Thanks for the cleaning tips so far!
I just use very hot water from the tap, immediately after use, and then a heavy paper towel. Works very well. Keeps the mesh very clean for at least 500 uses.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
For me, the challenge is to clean it without harming it, because it seems any repeated abrasion can harm the screens and require premature replacement of the balls.
The screens do not seem very durable.

Crunked

Proselytizer
I don't use aluballs any more but what worked for me was an overnight soak in dish washing detergent and water followed by 1-3 cycles in a sonic water cleaner.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
Well, i soaked an aluball in white vinegar overnight and then washed with soap, warm water, and vinegar using a toothbrush to scrub the screens. It now looks like new!

I also took the advice to rinse w/ hot water instead of just warmish water and it definately helps w/ any gunk build-up btwn washes.

Thanks for all the helpful hints so far everybody!

Nirad

Kava Curious
Wow good advice, I always used a toothbrush for the screens from the outside to push particulate inside and then after they were pretty old a soak in some alcohol, since the lactones are supposed to be soluble, followed by another scrub but I think next time I will try the acetic acid treatment :)

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting techniques, all. Mine is put a little soap in the aluball, rub circular with fingers and thumb, rinse well. for the cup I do the same thing making sure to cover all the surface area, this whole process is better for my hands and more efficient when I use a sponge. I rinse with warm water if it is available, then dry or fill with water and refridgerate.

I have not used my aluballs enough to stain them. Looks like I have some shaking to do. Bulaa.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
Clean?? Heh
I clean mine once or twice a year. I rinse it out immediately after making each batch.
I don't mind the staining, it adds character.