What's new

How do you decide 'when to say when' each time ?

How do you decide when to say when, each time you drink kava ?

• Drink a certain predetermined amount

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Drink until I feel like I have "peaked" since I'm familiar when i hit that sweet spot

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Drink a little past the peak, until I start to feel slight nausea, just to make sure I've peaked

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Spontaneously stop at a different time, each time based on mood, etc

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Other ; explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Depends. If I have 4 Tbsp I might mix it up and drink it, or if I have 8 I might share it intending to have 4. Usually if I have more than I want at once I try to save roots, and it feels good. If I have a shell or twos worth I brew it right away and drink it all.

The reasons I might decide to put away brewed Kava are: realized I'm out and save a cup
falling asleep rapidly.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I would've answered that I drink until I peak, but a real peak has become so rare to me it wouldn't be the most fitting answer. I can say though, that when I have a had full peaks, I am completely satisfied afterward and feel no need to continue drinking.

I've learned over the years, especially since kava strength has gone down (and/or my body has started to react differently to it), I will just drink a predetermined amount every night. I spent a year or two raising my dosage and drinking more to see if I could bring on the 'full experience' (undeniable peak) again that way, but it typically didn't work and often would lead to nausea or difficult next-days plus worse dermo. Around the same time, kava prices started shooting up, so it just became wasteful to drink extra and still not get the ideal experience.

The first 3 answers have been true for me at one time or another, but the one that holds true for me now is drinking a predetermined amount, if that amount doesn't hit hard...it's pointless going beyond it cause it generally hits a point of diminishing returns. ::happyshell::

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I would've answered that I drink until I peak, but a real peak has become so rare to me it wouldn't be the most fitting answer. I can say though, that when I have a had full peaks, I am completely satisfied afterward and feel no need to continue drinking.

I've learned over the years, especially since kava strength has gone down (and/or my body has started to react differently to it), I will just drink a predetermined amount every night. I spent a year or two raising my dosage and drinking more to see if I could bring on the 'full experience' (undeniable peak) again that way, but it typically didn't work and often would lead to nausea or difficult next-days plus worse dermo. Around the same time, kava prices started shooting up, so it just became wasteful to drink extra and still not get the ideal experience.

The first 3 answers have been true for me at one time or another, but the one that holds true for me now is drinking a predetermined amount, if that amount doesn't hit hard...it's pointless going beyond it cause it generally hits a point of diminishing returns. ::happyshell::
I find this as well - if it doesn't hit hard and fast with the first 1-2 shells then adding more gets me more heavy, sedated, krunk - but no more of that uplifting heady joy. Unfortunately, I still sometimes spend good root trying to get there to no avail....The last really heady waves of joy and euphoria I had was with the fresh frozen kava. I keep meaning to try it again but cost is high and I am still wary of shipping during the summer.

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.
I would say, since I'm fairly new, that I stop spontaneously. If I'm feeling even slight nausea I stop. Since I've not gotten to a sweet spot yet I decide not to push it given what I've read about other people making that decision. I'm accepting where I'm at in the moment and not pushing for the almighty 'aha!'. I've done that far too many times in my life with everything and it never got me anywhere any faster.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Latest feelings with me, are that if I am ready. Confident in my whole being. I will get the best Kava session. Sometimes this means having a couple shells back to back. With the idea of sipping Kava, it's not the same. Though sipping fulfills, eyelids are able to resist sleepiness if I go for the quick shelling.

One of those things. BULA