What's new

How likely is reverse tolerance?

ThatKavaGirl

Kava Curious
Just wondering how likely reverse tolerance is. I'm going to be trying Kava for the first time this week, and would like to know the odds of not feeling anything.

I ordered micronized Pouni from KWK. How much should I take?

Thanks! :)

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
You'll very likely feel Kava the first time. KavaDude has a survey of alot of people in the community and most people reported feeling Kava the first time.

Most of the Kava vendors have prep instructions on their sites, so I'd look there. I've never taken micronized so I'm not sure. Just take it easy the first time and see how you respond. You don't wanna over do it or you might feel nauseous. Most people say to space the shells out every 20min or so. I'm not sure how much micronized it takes to make a shell. I get the desired effects after 3-5 shells.

ThatKavaGirl

Kava Curious
Thanks for the reply! It came on Friday and I will be trying Kava for the first time tomorrow night. Wish me luck! I'll make sure to post about my experience.

boxcar beatnik

Kava Enthusiast
With the pouni ono micro i would recommend doing two tablespoons in 1 cup water and down it. Wait 35-40 min and do one tablespoon in 4oz. Wait for a while and see how you feel. If your stomach feels queasy just chill til the next day and do the same thing until it hits you right. Don't pound shells like people do alcohol because when it catches up to you it'll lay your ass out lol
Thanks for the reply! It came on Friday and I will be trying Kava for the first time tomorrow night. Wish me luck! I'll make sure to post about my experience.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Reverse tolerance needs a new name, in my opinion. It doesn't capture what reverse tolerance actually is. When you drink Kava on a normal basis, your body begins to respond to it - to "hear" the Kava. You are actually learning how to feel the Kava, and how to benefit from it. Tolerance implies that there's a chemical build up going on, like when someone who is trying to start smoking cigarettes (what a fool, right? ;) ) finally can smoke without getting dizzy. But I really believe that benefitting from Kava is about recognizing where it is helping you, and learning how to understand and work with its energy.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
For example, when I first started buying dried Kava for prep, I began with big hitters like Wow! and Stone. On one of my first tries, I made a batch that was 1:1 ratio on water to Kava. It got me absolutely krunked, but pretty damn sick as well. It had been years since I had had Kava and I simply didn't know it was going to feel like that. I drank Instants for years and they got me to a "feel good" place, but it was entirely different than downing shells of Vanuatu-grade Kava.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I think some people get reverse tolerance but it is very rare and more typical of "hard heads" the kind of folks who will insist they arent feeling a thing even when they are all chatty off the pouni ono. Ive got two friends who are this way. They dont get offered kava very offen, lol. But at least one of them recognizes the effects more now that it hes attempted it maybe 4 times now. Then for the people who are in tune with what goes into their body, it is more like kavasseur says, where we hear the kava more the more we drink it. In this case we feel the effects thd first time, but they are more in the background. Then as we drink more and more the effect become more distinctive and powerful. The way kava effects me now is nothing like it did when i started. Originally it was a very warm head feeling with almost no physical properties that I could detect. Now i can be incredibly sedated, heavy, or even stimulated by kava.