What's new

How many different strains are there?

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
I am thinking about writing a research paper on the different strains that Kava has to offer. How many do you guys know about? Thank you for helping me with this.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
There's about 200, tops, officially classified. What's the reason behind the question? I know you're writing a paper, but in the context of this paper, why does the number of cultivars matter?

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
Just an informational piece, I think that people would be interested that there are different strains that produce different effects. I had no idea there were so many, I can find the info out on the web I suppose lol. NO reason other than wanting to gather that information into one place I suppose.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Well, you'd probably be better off on focusing on kavalactones, although that is a primal mistake... it's like focusing on the six or seven traditional continents when describing the Earth... you'd easily miss the vital importance of my island homeland in Melanesia, as well as the entirety of the oceans. Still, it's an easy concept to latch onto.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Just an informational piece, I think that people would be interested that there are different strains that produce different effects. I had no idea there were so many, I can find the info out on the web I suppose lol. NO reason other than wanting to gather that information into one place I suppose.
You can check out my website at www.GourmetHawaiianKava.com and if you have any questions I would be happy to help. I have a lot of information on the different varieties of kava. Aloha.

Chris

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Once the paper is graded, please share the information with us. (pre-sharing may trigger anti-plagiarism algorithms, even though it's obviously your work).

Also, we may be able to guide you better if we know the nature of the class. For example, if it's a class on the relationships between humans and plants, then definitely focus on the kavalactones, because the more primitive forms of kava (the "wichamanii" types) are very low in kavain, whereas the highly cultivated kavas, including all those distinct to Hawaii, are very high in kavain. Whereas natural selection doesn't have an end-goal in mind, artificial selection usually does. It's why the cavendish cultivar of banana is almost unrecognizable compared to it's wild progenitor, which Thomas Hobbs declared to be "poor, nasty, brutish, and short" upon eating one. The question I often as is... did those pioneers who started the cultivation process know what they could do, and if so where did that knowledge come from? (Probably not - probably people were cultivating "two day" kava and discovered clonal mutant lines that happened to be "cleaner," and through artificial selection those became more highly prized, but why destroy a beautiful myth with Occam's razor?)

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
It's not being graded lol I am just a nerd that likes to write research papers. I wrote this one a couple of years ago. http://technicolormother.hubpages.com/hub/Kava-Kava-could-it-cure-cravings. I do it for the fun of learning something new and completely. I am about 2 semesters away from graduating with a bachelors in Psychology/Anthropology and ENR. (Environmental and Natural Resources) Not sure what I will do with that lol, probably just go on for my Masters.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Ah...

I'm thinking an interesting take on the subject is not only the cultivars, but also the preparation methods, among the different nations. E.g., why do the New Caledonians drink crown root kava, while "100% lateral" is one of the most common claims made of "premium" roots? Why has kava been traditionally confined to men in many nations, but not in Hawaii?

And, if you want to open a can of worms, WTF Australia?

No country in the world, to my knowledge, has a beer stein, a bong, or anything on it, except kava, where you see Tanoa bowls on flags and coins and seals and everything. What is it about kava that has enculturated it to such a huge degree?

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Another way to approach this, to make it easier, is "how many different strainers are there."

1.) Paint strainers
2.) Nylons
3.) Fijian sacks
4.) T-Shirt material
5.) the really weird stuff Nakamal@Home uses
6.) Coffee filters

There may be others, but I think I covered just about all of them. My own preference is using the Fijian kava bags with very fine grinds of kava.