What's new

How many ounces in a cup?

Kimmer

Patently irritable
8 oz. to a cup (but don't hold me to that). My shells are usually 3.5-4 oz.
That said, I'm kind of a noob.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I would recommend going slow, especially if you're getting the wobblies. Just call me mom (or gramma).

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Shells are dependent on both the amount of powder and liquid, so basically you can't really trust what anyone's "shell" is.

Personally, I always just give the amount of powder I've used in preparation when I talk about how much I've had.

simonsezso37

Kava Curious
I'm with kavadude in that I always just say how much powdered root I've used (mostly in reviews or on a forum). However, I do say, "man, I could use a shell or two" and the likes.
But in answer of your question, I pour about 4 oz in each of my shells. I'm sure I can fit more, but I prefer to have strong kava, and the shells are usually reduced in size due to that.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I'm drinking 4-6oz in my "shells" spaced 20 minutes apart. If I rush it to 15 minutes, sometimes it's ok and sometimes it's not. I get nausea, primarily.

After two shells, I usually feel the effects... maybe 30-40 minutes into drinking shells.

I mix 2-3 heaping Tbsp. of medium grind to 2 cups water (16-24oz) depending on the night.

At an hour I feel the full effects of the kava, usually after my third shell.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I'm drinking 4-6oz in my "shells" spaced 20 minutes apart. If I rush it to 15 minutes, sometimes it's ok and sometimes it's not. I get nausea, primarily.

After two shells, I usually feel the effects... maybe 30-40 minutes into drinking shells.

I mix 2-3 heaping Tbsp. of medium grind to 2 cups water (16-24oz) depending on the night.

At an hour I feel the full effects of the kava, usually after my third shell.
I don't know anything about medium grind. People at the kava bar sip on shells like cocktails. Is this a bad practice to sip over a period of time? I feel like I could sip on moi all night.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
It's been traditionally done as a shot. Saying "Bula!" and then downing the whole coconut shell's worth.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I've been drinking kava on and off for 13 years, and I'm still learning. I still make rookie mistakes on a regular basis, like overdoing a heavy variety and having a bad experience. I'll start too early and end up wasting a possible productive afternoon. I won't drink enough water or skip dinner, and end up with headaches. I'll eat dinner way too late and wake up with reflux and a sour stomach.
All of these issues, I've seriously just figured out over the last year or so. For me, after kneading, I'm left with about a golf ball sized amount in the nylon, and about 20 oz of grog, which I drink in 3-4 go's, over an hour and a half.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:
Some people sip, most people chug.
Some make it thin, others potent.
Some take it easy, others push the envelope.
Some people's stomachs are sensitive, others toss and wash.

Everyone has a preference on how they Prepare and consume, and I am almost certain that even the most seasoned veterans still regularly screw up and have less than pleasant experiences.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I won't drink enough water or skip dinner, and end up with headaches. I'll eat dinner way too late and wake up with reflux and a sour stomach.
Great stuff, August. These are all Kava Truths that we learn by doing. Right now I'm wrestling with the late-dinner-acid-reflux thing bigtime. I tend to eat before bed now, because of the kava, and it's really not good. I'm putting weight on and getting hyperacidity and chest pains. Sigh. It's a work in progress, just like you say!

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I basically wake up every morning with whatever I ate, sitting in the back of my throat, and it burns. I've found that if I eat a small snack like a PBn'J and a banana around 4, I can start kava after 8, then eat a half of a meal before bed and be content enough to fall asleep. But I have to have a bottle of water by my bed, to wash the crud down in the morning, if I have reflux. This Process tends to cut the negatives in half.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Maybe the solution here is to have a big lunch, let it digest its way to the lower part of your small intestine, and then start kava shells. After the kava session, have a light snack before bed.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting view points guys!
I don't suffer from stomach discomfort all that much, but figuring out a good time to eat and how much
while juggling when and how much kava to take is a chore! lmao...
I have a pretty strong tummy, so I usually just don't worry about it much,but it's certainly a good topic! :)
Yesterday, I had a big breakfast...a even bigger lunch, I waited 2 hours and then did 2 tbsp of some pouni ono...
Mixed with 2 cups or 16oz of water....Downed all this in or around 40-60 minutes..
Because I normally do 1 tbsp the effects were certainly stronger! finally :)
About 1 and 1/2 hrs into it...my mom offered to bring us for pizza....I was like....calm on! lol...
We ended up just getting one delivered...probably around the 2 hour mark...
By the time I swallowed my last bites of fry's and greasy pizza...I got hit hard with wobbly body and mind effects!
Certainly took me by surprise!