What's new

How much is too much :/

Faeriebarf

Hello! I am new here and hoping I can get some info without judgement. I have just seen a lot of conflicting info online so wanted to try my luck here~
Basically I am trying to figure out how much kava is too much. Here is what I typically consume in a night: tonight I had 14 shells, I used my aluball and had 14 shells using 10 tbsps of kava all together... the night before I went to my local kava bar and had 16 shells but am not sure of their particular measurements they use...

Is this too much? I can only assume it is... something to be noted is I don’t USUALLY drink everyday, and when I run out of kava at home, it is usually 2-3 weeks until I do so again because of shopping wait times.

again, please don’t judge and thank you so much for your time!!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Welcome!

You're not gonna be judged here. We love questions. Yours included!

That's a good bit of kava. Will it hurt you? No. Will it cause your skin to dry up and you turn into a crusty, tired zombie? Yes, it can do that. Keep an eye on your skin and your water intake and you should be just fine. I know people who go hard or not at all and they're here to tell the tale year and years later.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Piggy backing off this topic: How do you keep the rooted feeling going? I really only get good effects if I drink around 6-8 tablespoons relatively quickly. If I try to keep it going past that, its as if those receptors are maxed out. I just get compiling negatives at the point with no positives. Kava is perfect for me after work. If I try to chill out over the weekend, it is never as enjoyable as those post-work sessions.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hello! I am new here and hoping I can get some info without judgement. I have just seen a lot of conflicting info online so wanted to try my luck here~
Basically I am trying to figure out how much kava is too much. Here is what I typically consume in a night: tonight I had 14 shells, I used my aluball and had 14 shells using 10 tbsps of kava all together... the night before I went to my local kava bar and had 16 shells but am not sure of their particular measurements they use...

Is this too much? I can only assume it is... something to be noted is I don’t USUALLY drink everyday, and when I run out of kava at home, it is usually 2-3 weeks until I do so again because of shopping wait times.

Not too much at all, as kapm said, be sure to stay hydrated to offset the large amount. On a typical day I drink 6-12 tablespoons, which on the high end of it, equals 4 washes in total.

Cheeze_Man

So just out of curiosity, I usually drink 8-12 tablespoons a night for a week on, week off using Wakacon (only one really on Amazon). I usually do 4 tablespoons mixed with like 20 oz of water. Then I re-wash, so it comes up to 5 or 6 20 oz things of kava over a few hours. So it goes 4 T (washed twice) , then new 4 T (washed twice), then new 4 T, maybe washed twice. Is that too much? I know had a high cholesterol test at the beginning of the year and it's put quite the fright in me about Kava, as I've heard some say it can raise cholesterol. Any recommendations?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So just out of curiosity, I usually drink 8-12 tablespoons a night for a week on, week off using Wakacon (only one really on Amazon). I usually do 4 tablespoons mixed with like 20 oz of water. Then I re-wash, so it comes up to 5 or 6 20 oz things of kava over a few hours. So it goes 4 T (washed twice) , then new 4 T (washed twice), then new 4 T, maybe washed twice. Is that too much? I know had a high cholesterol test at the beginning of the year and it's put quite the fright in me about Kava, as I've heard some say it can raise cholesterol. Any recommendations?
Nah you are good, I've gone through at least 20 lbs of Wakacon and doing just fine, remember to stay hydrated so you don't feel lethargic, otherwise, Bula and welcome to KF.

Cheeze_Man

Nah you are good, I've gone through at least 20 lbs of Wakacon and doing just fine, remember to stay hydrated so you don't feel lethargic, otherwise, Bula and welcome to KF.
So that frequency/amount is fine though? I try to take a break every other week like I was saying on/off. Also, when you re-wash is it really another "serving" or would you say it's just the remainder of the original serving? I've been reading/following kava forums for a long time and drinking kava for more than a year, I finally just decided I had a couple questions.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So that frequency/amount is fine though?
Yes
I try to take a break every other week like I was saying on/off. Also, when you re-wash is it really another "serving" or would you say it's just the remainder of the original serving? I've been reading/following kava forums for a long time and drinking kava for more than a year, I finally just decided I had a couple questions.
I guess it depends if you add any extra to the second wash, if not then maybe 1/2 to 3/4 potency from the first, depending on the kava. It's still technically a serving, but as I said, I wouldn't worry.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor

So most days, not everyday... ok sometimes every day.. my wife and I brew up about 1 gallon of Kava (about 3oz of Kava Tonga in the gallon).. I was a bad alcoholic for many years and drinking Kava often helps me sleep at night.. Anyway, our Polynesian Kava clubs drink Kava from about 8pm to about 4am 3 or 4 days out of the week.. There really isn't such thing as too much. Just do as much as your body can handle.. I know people that can only drink about 7 shells before they throw up & I also know a lot of people that can drink Kava for hours and still be just fine.. Its really all about how much your stomach can handle..

-Remember to drink plenty of water the next day after drinking Kava.
-Try not sleep in all day the next day after drinking Kava heavy the night before.. Its ok to do so every now and then but try not to sleep in off of Kava so often because when your body gets use to that it can become unhealthy for your heart.
-Your skin will become dry and ashy when you drink Kava often.. My father uses petroleum jelly to moisture his hands because of heavy Kava drinking lol

Im drinking Kava right now as I am typing this. lol

Drink as much as you can handle. Don't try and over do it.. It'll just make you full and probably want to puke.. But it won't kill you

Bula! or like we say in Tongan, inu ke fiu! lol

Faeriebarf

So most days, not everyday... ok sometimes every day.. my wife and I brew up about 1 gallon of Kava (about 3oz of Kava Tonga in the gallon).. I was a bad alcoholic for many years and drinking Kava often helps me sleep at night.. Anyway, our Polynesian Kava clubs drink Kava from about 8pm to about 4am 3 or 4 days out of the week.. There really isn't such thing as too much. Just do as much as your body can handle.. I know people that can only drink about 7 shells before they throw up & I also know a lot of people that can drink Kava for hours and still be just fine.. Its really all about how much your stomach can handle..

-Remember to drink plenty of water the next day after drinking Kava.
-Try not sleep in all day the next day after drinking Kava heavy the night before.. Its ok to do so every now and then but try not to sleep in off of Kava so often because when your body gets use to that it can become unhealthy for your heart.
-Your skin will become dry and ashy when you drink Kava often.. My father uses petroleum jelly to moisture his hands because of heavy Kava drinking lol

Im drinking Kava right now as I am typing this. lol

Drink as much as you can handle. Don't try and over do it.. It'll just make you full and probably want to puke.. But it won't kill you

Bula! or like we say in Tongan, inu ke fiu! lol
Bula, friend! I am also a recovering alcoholic, which is why I thought I’d ask this because I of course don’t want to just move on to the next substance to abuse... I just want to use kava as a tool for healing and not to just get funked up if that makes sense.

My skin for SURE got ashy. And scaly... some spots in my mouth did too... and my eyes got dried and puffy too. I’m sure these could be caused by other things but I had never experienced them before kava...

I ended up using an entire lb of kava in less than a week I believe. Honestly over a lb, because I saved a lot of the “first wash” (I believe is what it’s called) and set it aside to dry, to reuse later, so I wouldn’t spend so much money on kava so fast. I used aaa grade waka kava from bestfijikava.com which worked great I am still exploring different kinds but am unsure of how to branch out especially since I can’t spend too much, but also since I just don’t really know exactly what to look for.

Tonight is my second night kava free and yet again I am laying awake panicky with a fluttery heart. Could this be a side effect of drinking so much kava then just stopping? I unfortunately fell asleep early in the days before after drinking it, staying asleep for at least 12 or more hours a time.

Perhaps I should make this into a new post.. Not too sure of how this site works completely yet. I appreciate your feedback tho and am super sorry if this was overload!! I saw you were a recovering alcoholic like myself and felt the most drawn to reaching out to your response. Congrats on your recovery also! Coming on to half a year sober myself :)

“inu ke fiu”

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Bula, friend! I am also a recovering alcoholic, which is why I thought I’d ask this because I of course don’t want to just move on to the next substance to abuse... I just want to use kava as a tool for healing and not to just get funked up if that makes sense.

My skin for SURE got ashy. And scaly... some spots in my mouth did too... and my eyes got dried and puffy too. I’m sure these could be caused by other things but I had never experienced them before kava...

I ended up using an entire lb of kava in less than a week I believe. Honestly over a lb, because I saved a lot of the “first wash” (I believe is what it’s called) and set it aside to dry, to reuse later, so I wouldn’t spend so much money on kava so fast. I used aaa grade waka kava from bestfijikava.com which worked great I am still exploring different kinds but am unsure of how to branch out especially since I can’t spend too much, but also since I just don’t really know exactly what to look for.

Tonight is my second night kava free and yet again I am laying awake panicky with a fluttery heart. Could this be a side effect of drinking so much kava then just stopping? I unfortunately fell asleep early in the days before after drinking it, staying asleep for at least 12 or more hours a time.

Perhaps I should make this into a new post.. Not too sure of how this site works completely yet. I appreciate your feedback tho and am super sorry if this was overload!! I saw you were a recovering alcoholic like myself and felt the most drawn to reaching out to your response. Congrats on your recovery also! Coming on to half a year sober myself :)

“inu ke fiu”

Its never an overload on here! & 6 months sober?? Congrats & don't give up!!

Now I honestly don't think Kava can replace the feeling alcohol gives off, especially for an alcoholic that has been drinking heavy for soooo lonnnggg.. I myself have come to drink Kava heavy just to help me sleep!.. Ive been so used to drinking alcohol till I passed out & now that I trying to recover, sleep is one thing that I don't get much of now days..

I know the dry skin is happens to most but I've never hear of dry spots in the mouth.. I wi definitely ask around about that.

Now if you are fairly new to Kava drinking you should ease in to it. Don't look at it like its something to help you recover from something else.. Just kind of ease in to it & take it slow.. Try & learn how to cope with the Kava-Drunk as smooth as possible.. Your body is trying to figure out what these new feelings are and its probably getting overwhelmed. And the fact that Kava has a reverse tolerance is probably causing your body to tweak because it doesn't know how to handle it, for a beginner Kava drinker.

Take a break before you start again.. doesn't have to be for weeks or months but its good to throw in a couple breaks in between your kava sessions. Drink plenty plenty of water the day after your Kava session. Its always good to stay hydrated!

All in all Kava is great and has helped me a lot! As a Polynesian its almost normal to drink Kava heavy & often! I often find myself craving Kava at random times of the day but nowhere near the point where I feel like I have to have it.
Try & look at Kava like something sacred and we are fortunate to have this great drink apart of our lives that a lot of the world still has no idea about. So we partake slowly.. & As we partake slowly we learn the feeling, meaning & importance of the Kava drink

INU KE FIU

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor

“inu ke fiu”

Sorry if I was all over the place! Im Drinking Kava while typing this lol

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast

“inu ke fiu”
First off, welcome to the forums! :)

I wanted to reply because I've found a similar type of feeling as you have when going heavy on the kava and then just stopping for a day or two, which is that it seems my body gets used to the anxiolytic effects that kava offers and rebounds with higher amounts of anxiety in following days (mostly a jumpy, heavy heartbeat and that "can't get a full deep breath feeling"). As a result if I have a lot of it, I'll take a smaller amount on "off" days to help taper off and lessen the rebound.

I haven't charted out all of the days with kava and without it and when I've felt this and when I haven't, including any other variables so I can't say definitively that this is the cause. Certainly I've (and I would imagine many of us) been under a lot more stress and anxiety to begin with lately with all that's going on in the world, so this might be a temporary thing until life goes back to semi-normalcy and my currently higher baseline anxiety level begins to drop off. Guess we'll just have to see!

Jacob Bula

Nobody
First off, welcome to the forums! :)

I wanted to reply because I've found a similar type of feeling as you have when going heavy on the kava and then just stopping for a day or two, which is that it seems my body gets used to the anxiolytic effects that kava offers and rebounds with higher amounts of anxiety in following days (mostly a jumpy, heavy heartbeat and that "can't get a full deep breath feeling"). As a result if I have a lot of it, I'll take a smaller amount on "off" days to help taper off and lessen the rebound.

I haven't charted out all of the days with kava and without it and when I've felt this and when I haven't, including any other variables so I can't say definitively that this is the cause. Certainly I've (and I would imagine many of us) been under a lot more stress and anxiety to begin with lately with all that's going on in the world, so this might be a temporary thing until life goes back to semi-normalcy and my currently higher baseline anxiety level begins to drop off. Guess we'll just have to see!
I have extreme rebound-type anxiety and lethargy when I drink kava for multiple days without a break, so I take frequent breaks. It almost feels like an alcoholic rebound-anxiety. I will feel so heavy and unmotivated and I have an existential sense of dread. I think it may be tied to my past alcohol abuse and my particular brain chemistry though, and I will also add that during my first sober year, kava saved me from ever wanting alcohol again. For me, ANYTHING external that I consume to manage my anxiety and depression instead of dealing with it internally causes this problem. For me and my situation, I think I have finally learned that kava is a fantastic recreational plant, but it doesn't help me medicinally.

Piperm

Kava Curious
I am up to 50grams of Kelai from Kava Society a day, drinking through the day about 8 gram shells with food right after. I notice for me if you eat something after the kava sits in your stomach, the effects will be much greater, along with not swallowing too much saliva if your mouth is producing it. I have been drinking kava on and off (mainly on) for 10 years. I simply strain out the powder with a fine mesh kitchen strainer and add water in my nice Hazel Atlas uranium glass bowl.

Some kava doesnt give you dried skin. I notice if you get mildewy kava, it causes the Kava Ichthyosis. I dont buy from all companies on here.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Too much depends on the person. Only you can decide where you like to be. Personally, I like about 4 tablespoons and a 2nd rinse and I'm good. If I'm feeling squirrely and want to feel like an islander I'll have a 3rd shell and a 2nd rise as well. I can't drink too much due to the newborn and getting up midnight still half krunk isn't easy lol.