What's new

How much kava is too much kava ?

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Interestingly I have not seen any correlation between body size and amount of kava required to get to where you want to be. I have drunk with folks 2x my size and it still takes roughly the same amount.
Maybe I just have weaker guts then, it runs in part of the family. I actually found that though it actually wasn't as potent as my last batch, I just wasn't shaking it up well enough in the aluball and needed to work harder with the particular bag I got as of yesterday.

But speaking of too much kava anyways, tomorrow night I have some dinner party to go to and there will probably be a lot of food but I still want my kava, how long before should I drink it so I don't end up with my belly hating me for the rest of the weekend (too much anyways).

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
I go through probably a kilo a month, but thats of micro :angelic unless im trying (key word) to get some kind of messed up, I use about 2 tbsp around 12-1ish and 2-2.5tbsp at night about 2-3 hours after dinner, or 4 if ive eaten earlier. Ive never really been able to get messed up except for once, I seem to have a rather high tolerance for everything known to man. ::indeedsir::

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I drink 3L kava every day. Oh sometimes it is only 2L and on special days it is 4L but Mostly it is a very comfortable 3L. Every single day, starting from almost the moment I awake (gentle kind spouse brings me in bed 1/2 cup coffee and a full glass of kava).

Now, to make that from grind takes 4 TBS per litre, but, because of the freezer makas mongrel grog approach I use, effectively it takes only 8 TBS medium grind for each 3L daily ration. (I no longer get dermo at all, despite such relatively high consumption, I believe because I constantly change grinds for maximum variety, but also mainly because I drink with a bombilla and plentiful ice)

So, given 72TBS to the pound, 1 pound will do me for 9 days, but because I am constantly switching up the grind, even if I buy just a half pound of something, it might sit on my pantry shelf for many months before I can cycle through it, and if I bought a kilo, very long, unless it is nambawan, num num num.

So, basically, I drink all day every day, get huge health benefits, not to mention I feel wonderful all the time and have a protective permakrunk cocoon for about $5 a day. I can handle that, especially as that is cheaper than the alcohol I used to drink so that kind of pays for itself. This is in the territory of "lifestyle alternative" or even alternative way of being, albeit one that involves getting plenty of good sleep every night and never a hangover. The fact that it dropped my weight so much that when I was diagnosed with cancer, my lower weight, thanks to kava side effects, made me a candidate for a surgery I would have been denied had I been my weight BK, before kava, and which may have extended my life by years, maybe decades, even, makes it that much more of a bargain to me.

Plus as I matured as a kava drinker, I naturally and effortlessly learned how NOT to drink too much kava, si it just doesn't happen. I like to drink a lot of kava, it feels wonderful, but I never drink "too much kava" because I simply don't. I mean, I know what too much kava is, I just simply drink a little less.

ThatDankK

I drink 3L kava every day. Oh sometimes it is only 2L and on special days it is 4L but Mostly it is a very comfortable 3L. Every single day, starting from almost the moment I awake (gentle kind spouse brings me in bed 1/2 cup coffee and a full glass of kava).

Now, to make that from grind takes 4 TBS per litre, but, because of the freezer makas mongrel grog approach I use, effectively it takes only 8 TBS medium grind for each 3L daily ration. (I no longer get dermo at all, despite such relatively high consumption, I believe because I constantly change grinds for maximum variety, but also mainly because I drink with a bombilla and plentiful ice)

So, given 72TBS to the pound, 1 pound will do me for 9 days, but because I am constantly switching up the grind, even if I buy just a half pound of something, it might sit on my pantry shelf for many months before I can cycle through it, and if I bought a kilo, very long, unless it is nambawan, num num num.

So, basically, I drink all day every day, get huge health benefits, not to mention I feel wonderful all the time and have a protective permakrunk cocoon for about $5 a day. I can handle that, especially as that is cheaper than the alcohol I used to drink so that kind of pays for itself. This is in the territory of "lifestyle alternative" or even alternative way of being, albeit one that involves getting plenty of good sleep every night and never a hangover. The fact that it dropped my weight so much that when I was diagnosed with cancer, my lower weight, thanks to kava side effects, made me a candidate for a surgery I would have been denied had I been my weight BK, before kava, and which may have extended my life by years, maybe decades, even, makes it that much more of a bargain to me.

Plus as I matured as a kava drinker, I naturally and effortlessly learned how NOT to drink too much kava, si it just doesn't happen. I like to drink a lot of kava, it feels wonderful, but I never drink "too much kava" because I simply don't. I mean, I know what too much kava is, I just simply drink a little less.
Ive deducted that there is no such thing as "too much" lol

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
I also think the upper limit for daily consumption would be around 12 TBS for the vast majority of people.
Agree with you there, with emphasis on "upper limit". I know if I had that much, even stretched out over the course of the day, id be wearing the eye patch for sure.

When I think to myself: "I've had too much kava this week", the real issue I'm having is less to do with the amount of kava and more to do with my retun-on-krunkvestment. When shelling out with pals, or even if I'm the only one shelling, but in a social situation, the kava has a much more profound effect on my vibe than when I'm alone. Its much harder to listen to the kava by myself. Its the quantum theory of shellheadedness. If one chugs kava, but no one is prepared to listen, does the kava sing its song?

ThatDankK

if you have to put on an eye patch so you don't walk sideways into a wall and then throw up when you do, then that's too much kava, I think. I also think the upper limit for daily consumption would be around 12 TBS for the vast majority of people.
I never get to that point with anything, except for that bastard cousin hiding in the shadows (liquor), I WISH I could get those effects off of kava but I evidently cant lol

ThatDankK

Agree with you there, with emphasis on "upper limit". I know if I had that much, even stretched out over the course of the day, id be wearing the eye patch for sure.

When I think to myself: "I've had too much kava this week", the real issue I'm having is less to do with the amount of kava and more to do with my retun-on-krunkvestment. When shelling out with pals, or even if I'm the only one shelling, but in a social situation, the kava has a much more profound effect on my vibe than when I'm alone. Its much harder to listen to the kava by myself. Its the quantum theory of shellheadedness. If one chugs kava, but no one is prepared to listen, does the kava sing its song?
Agreed, kava helps my social vibe astronomically, without it im a silent observer with a temper but with it im talkative, wild, and introspective. Out of curiosity, what is the average krunk dosage for micronized? I have some ikaika laying around....

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Whether it be undesirable side effects, such as nausea, hangover, etc, or negative long-term health effects, how much kava is too much kava ?
And it's a mulit-part question. Both on a daily basis, and on a long-term measurement, such as weekly, etc. (if there's a difference answer for each example)
Does your body basically tell you and give you signs when to quit, such as the feelings of nausea, etc ?
Or do you go by another measuring stick when determining when to "cut off" the kava ?
I talked to a psychiatrist about this the other day and it was his opinion that recreational/traditional use of kava is already too much. I said to him, "Are you saying that the way the majority of humans have used this substance for 3000 years is abuse?" He was like: "yeah." He claimed that the "studies" (whatever means) show that high doses of kava make people's anxiety (etc.) worse rather than better. I enjoy high doses of kava; but I can't even say my own personal experience is opposed to his view. KT's Kadavu is one of the few kavas that don't seem to make me feel riled up and anxious. (Of course, I'm a bit odd. I've had awa Mo'i help me fall asleep). But in any case, I stood my ground and told him I wasn't gonna stop drinking grog. I know enough about addiction diagnosis that I don't want to tell him I'll cut back and then decide not to cut back.

Last edited:

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Whether it be undesirable side effects, such as nausea, hangover, etc, or negative long-term health effects, how much kava is too much kava ?
And it's a mulit-part question. Both on a daily basis, and on a long-term measurement, such as weekly, etc. (if there's a difference answer for each example)
Does your body basically tell you and give you signs when to quit, such as the feelings of nausea, etc ?
Or do you go by another measuring stick when determining when to "cut off" the kava ?
I just drank two shells of Squanch followed by one shell of KWK Borongoru. I could probably get more down, but it wouldn't be advisable. I am sure other people can drink more, but this is my limit.

kava_chief

Kava Curious
I'm sort of surprised at the amounts I'm seeing here, because I drink 24-36 tbsp per session (or 2.25 cups) - that's a weekend night session though. It explains why I get rough hangovers and no one else does, though lol.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
I can't imagine drinking that much kava. Even 8 tbsp of anything but the lightest most headiest kava will have me feeling pretty zonked out out the next day from the DHM accumulation. I rarely go above 6 tbsp per session.

Unda Kava

Forging a new future by preserving the past!
Kava Vendor
I drink about a gallon a day. I mix a gallon with about 2 to 3 ozʻs of kava and Iʻm buzzin by 1/2 gallon and down by the 3/4.
Whats great about tongan kava, is there is no sluggish feeling in the morning like other kava brands. You wake up energized, pain free and without the need for coffee to wake you up.
How much water are you guys mixing with 8 tbsp?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Whats great about tongan kava, is there is no sluggish feeling in the morning like other kava brands.?
There are around 30 other kava cultivars from other countries available commercially (even though most of them are sold as blends). How many of those have you tried?

FYS

Shell Shocked
I do 25g to 450ml. That's about the "standard" 1:10 ratio I've seen listed as the traditional brewing strength(at least from the sources I've seen) though that isn't why I do it that way. Its just what works best for me. Sometimes I'll do a couple of those in a day if I'm feeling froggy. My second washes are pretty clear though I do keep that. I used to do three when starting out but stopped shortly after because I didn't see much point.

As far as the OP I think it definitely lets you know when you are getting to the "too much" point and after going over that point a few times I kind of learned to tell when I was about to go over not wanting to experience that again. I find its pretty self regulating.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I do 25g to 450ml. That's about the "standard" 1:10 ratio I've seen listed as the traditional brewing strength(at least from the sources I've seen) though that isn't why I do it that way. Its just what works best for me. Sometimes I'll do a couple of those in a day if I'm feeling froggy. My second washes are pretty clear though I do keep that. I used to do three when starting out but stopped shortly after because I didn't see much point.

As far as the OP I think it definitely lets you know when you are getting to the "too much" point and after going over that point a few times I kind of learned to tell when I was about to go over not wanting to experience that again. I find its pretty self regulating.
1:10 ratio would be 25g to 250ml. I personally do 1:12-13

Unda Kava

Kava Vendor
There are around 30 other kava cultivars from other countries available commercially (even though most of them are sold as blends). How many of those have you tried?
About 20 of them and some not listed as well.

Unda Kava

Kava Vendor
3oz is about 80g, that's about 7-8 tablespoons. If it's Tongan kava then it's likely to be weaker than Vanuatu or Fijian kava (which doesn't mean worse, just means a bit weaker per gram), so that's not an excessive amount in my view. I too would feel fine the next day after this much of fine Tongan kaava. Your water to root ratio is a bit crazy though haha (from the point of view of most Western drinkers).
There are many varities of kava from Tonga, such as vava'u, eu'a, niua and some of them aint weak, just different. I prefer Tongan because of the smoother taste. 2-3oz to a gallon is for a cruise mix, especially when you got friends that want to "sample" over and over again. What would be your ratio to a gallon of water?