What's new

How much kava is too much kava ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Whether it be undesirable side effects, such as nausea, hangover, etc, or negative long-term health effects, how much kava is too much kava ?
And it's a mulit-part question. Both on a daily basis, and on a long-term measurement, such as weekly, etc. (if there's a difference answer for each example)
Does your body basically tell you and give you signs when to quit, such as the feelings of nausea, etc ?
Or do you go by another measuring stick when determining when to "cut off" the kava ?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Whether it be undesirable side effects, such as nausea, hangover, etc, or negative long-term health effects, how much kava is too much kava ?
And it's a mulit-part question. Both on a daily basis, and on a long-term measurement, such as weekly, etc. (if there's a difference answer for each example)
Does your body basically tell you and give you signs when to quit, such as the feelings of nausea, etc ?
Or do you go by another measuring stick when determining when to "cut off" the kava ?
I think that both questions depend on the person. For me, my limit of 12-16tbs is where I stop. I drink this amount over several hours, throughout an entire day, typically on the weekends. During the week I keep it lighter at around 8-12tbs.

I also don't drink kava 7 days a week anymore, I drink it 4-5 days a week.

Kraken

Kava Curious
When at all possible I drink up to but not limited to between 6 and 9 shells a night if that gives you an idea because I'm not really sure of the dosage at that and then eat 50 mg kava candies during the day starting first thing in the morning I usually eat no less then four a day sometimes the whole pack and this usually keeps me pretty happy I'm probably what you would call a kava pig but hey to each their own I like to feel a good crunk going on and lately I've been working on trying to develop a little lizard skin either way I think I'm slowly getting there..

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I think that both questions depend on the person. For me, my limit of 12-16tbs is where I stop. I drink this amount over several hours, throughout an entire day, typically on the weekends. During the week I keep it lighter at around 8-12tbs.

I also don't drink kava 7 days a week anymore, I drink it 4-5 days a week.
That's too much for me, I get very dizzy and get nausea if I drink that much. So it really is different on different people. I'm sensitive to kava, which is good for my wallet. I get VERY krunk on 8 tbs and with that I get very dizzy that isn't all that great. I feel effects and feel real good on low doses. I'm a bit thin, maybe that's why?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
That's too much for me, I get very dizzy and get nausea if I drink that much. So it really is different on different people. I'm sensitive to kava, which is good for my wallet. I get VERY krunk on 8 tbs and with that I get very dizzy that isn't all that great. I feel effects and feel real good on low doses. I'm a bit thin, maybe that's why?
I am not sure weight affects the outcome like maybe alcohol, I could be wrong. Also bare in mind when I say I drink 8-16tbs, it will always be over many hours, if I drank 8tbs on the first & second wash, it would probably make me very dizzy as well. I ingest that amount, 4tbs at a time and the further I go into each session, the further apart the shells become.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I am not sure weight affects the outcome like maybe alcohol, I could be wrong. Also bare in mind when I say I drink 8-16tbs, it will always be over many hours, if I drank 8tbs on the first & second wash, it would probably make me very dizzy as well. I ingest that amount, 4tbs at a time and the further I go into each session, the further apart the shells become.
With alcohol I could drink a lot, but I think I built up a resistance.
I thought you meant that, but it's a lot for me. I really feel 4 tbs a lot if I drink it at once, but it depends on the kava also.
I use one ball in my aluball right now.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
With alcohol I could drink a lot, but I think I built up a resistance.
I thought you meant that, but it's a lot for me. I really feel 4 tbs a lot if I drink it at once, but it depends on the kava also.
I use one ball in my aluball right now.
I agree there, the heavier the kava the less I need, as an example I could never drink that much say from a kava like Kava Supreme or any other heavier kava. I do drink headier, lighter kavas most of the time. My go to is Squanch Waka, which technically leans towards the more balanced side. (on this batch)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I agree there, the heavier the kava the less I need, as an example I could never drink that much say from a kava like Kava Supreme or any other heavier kava. I do drink headier, lighter kavas most of the time. My go to is Squanch Waka, which technically leans towards the more balanced side.
I think Squanch is indeed very balanced, but the heady parts are excellent for those who like headiness. Squanch would be worth drinking even if you only like heady kava, IMO.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
My kava consumption is a little less than half of @Krunʞy, but I am still drinking 3-6 tablespoons dry powder daily, sometimes more on weekends. Your body speaks up when its had too much, surely... but if you LOOOOVE kava like I do, it still takes some discipline to actually give the krunk a rest for a day or two.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I agree there, the heavier the kava the less I need, as an example I could never drink that much say from a kava like Kava Supreme or any other heavier kava. I do drink headier, lighter kavas most of the time. My go to is Squanch Waka, which technically leans towards the more balanced side.
I see, right now I'm drinking supreme. I have never tried Squanch Waka. The heady kava Ive used was quite a while back, from nakamal at home.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
My kava consumption is a little less than half of @Krunʞy, but I am still drinking 3-6 tablespoons dry powder daily, sometimes more on weekends. Your body speaks up when its had too much, surely... but if you LOOOOVE kava like I do, it still takes some discipline to actually give the krunk a rest for a day or two.
I costs a lot if you live in Sweden, I bet I would drink more often if I lived in USA.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Definitely, hence me cutting back to 4-5 days a week, a break is for me and my wallet.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I costs a lot if you live in Sweden, I bet I would drink more often if I lived in USA.
I don't know or have any idea how much or how it would compare to where I live. Living 30 minutes away from NYC, in the county that I live is very expensive as well.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I don't know or have any idea how much or how it would compare to where I live. Living 30 minutes away from NYC, in the county that I live is very expensive as well.
The Swedish krona is low and they add taxes (40%) at customs and duty charges.