What's new

How Often Can I Take Kava?

StarDustin

Kava Curious
So if you read my last post you can see that Kava worked pretty well for me. My question now is how often can I take Kava for it to be most effective?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I use every evening. I tried daytime use, and although I some times do, drink during the day, I usually end up feeling rough from it. But some folks do use a little all day, others use it in the evenings. I guess its a matter of trial and error. What works best for you. Kava has a way of showing you. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I have been using daily for a long time with no issues other than dermopathy (which is my sign to stop and take a break).

You'll come across recommendations to keep to 200-300mg kavalactones per day which but it's not clear where these came from and there isn't any conclusive data on what, if any, limits there should be on consumption.

Now, how often for it to be effective. I don't remember what you're using it for, is it anxiety? A lot of people get a multi-day anxiolytic effect, so you may even get away with only using it every few days. That is something you'll have to discover by experience.

StarDustin

Kava Curious
A lot of people get a multi-day anxiolytic effect, so you may even get away with only using it every few days. That is something you'll have to discover by experience.
I am looking for the anxiolytic effect. I guess I will find out soon enough how much I need to take. Part of my question was wondering how much is safe to take in one day.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I would say there is no unsafe amount, as long as your using Nobel. I would think a cup, to a cup and a half, of dried kava root powder, would probably be a lot to consume. But I have used that much a few times. It takes me all day. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I am looking for the anxiolytic effect. I guess I will find out soon enough how much I need to take. Part of my question was wondering how much is safe to take in one day.
I've used 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of noble kava daily for weeks at a time and like I said, the only eventual effect is dermopathy. I've also had blood panels done and everything came back fine (except cholesterol, not sure if that is related to kava consumption). I'm on the extreme end in of the spectrum in terms of dose and it's likely you will end up using less than me.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I've used 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of noble kava daily for weeks at a time and like I said, the only eventual effect is dermopathy. I've also had blood panels done and everything came back fine (except cholesterol, not sure if that is related to kava consumption). I'm on the extreme end in of the spectrum in terms of dose and it's likely you will end up using less than me.
Yes I would say, I use about half a cup daily, for the most part. Every once in a while, I take it further. But for the most part I also get relief at 1/2 a cup, to 3/4. Much love. Roaddog....

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
How often? My use went from pretty much regularly throughout the day, then to morning and then night, then to only night. I haven't missed a day in nearly a decade. My blood is probably about 40% kavalactones by weight.

D

Deleted User01

First, you should space your shells 30 minutes apart and gauge the effects before the next shell. Once you reach a good plateau, then stop drinking. I drink about 4 times a week. But I also have a few beers on the days that I don't do kava. I have plans to continue reducing both my Kava and Alcohol content as time progresses. I'm just addicted to happy hour. @Vetka can go a week without Kava because he has reached a point where the Kava effects stay with him for many days. This is the ideal situation.

Yes @kavadude, Kava seems to raise Cholesterol. It does that to me but it always always been a problem for me. I'm taking Red Yeast Rice in the morning but after my next test (this month), I have a feeling I will take one at night too. They say taking it at night is better because it gets after all the freshly produced Cholesterol from food/kava. I guess I really need to go on Lipitor (like my wife) and I have done it in the past, but I'm a little stubborn. I'm also going on a stricter diet because I have gained a few pounds. More Homemade Vegetable Soup and less Beef Ribs. There are many little tiny things that we can do to live a healthy life. They accumulate and make a big difference. I "pity the fools" that go on these huge strict regiments that can only be maintained for a few weeks or months. They rebound with a vengeance back to the dark side.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Kava is weird stuff and it's difficult to figure out, at least for me. I drank kava every day for probably 3 months, with only a day or two a month that I didn't. I haven't had any in 3 days and I am sitting here wondering if I want some this evening. I have 2 new batches of super good kava. It's just hard for me to explain how strange kava is. It does not seem to be habit forming at all. And no two experiences even with the same kava are hardly ever the same. When the experience is good, it's fantastic, but most of the time for me it's just ok, but it does wonders for my anxiety and that's why I drink it.

I think I'm going to mix up some Wow and Nambawan together and see what it does.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I drink about 4 times a week. But I also have a few beers on the days that I don't do kava. I have plans to continue reducing both my Kava and Alcohol content as time progresses. I'm just addicted to happy hour. @Vetka can go a week without Kava because he has reached a point where the Kava effects stay with him for many days. This is the ideal situation.
Sounds like me, Deleted User01. Only I just want to reduce alcohol consumption, since with kava, I don't feel any type of craving or anything like I do with alcohol. Alcohol is evil stuff and yet I still like it, sigh...