What's new

How to prep frozen kava?

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all,

I would like to try some frozen kava from Root of Happiness, but my only method of prep is the aluball and shaker. Would I prepare frozen kava the exact same way I prep medium grind dry kava with the aluball and shaker, or is there some reason that wouldn’t work? I’m not really looking to try new prep methods, so if the aluball wouldn’t work, I’ll probably skip frozen kava for now.

Thanks!

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Frozen kava requires 4-5x the amount as you would need if dried. Aluballing frozen kava would result in a very weak beverage, and would definitely be mostly a waste.

A strainer bag is cheap!

hightides42

our Roots run deep
I've found that fresh frozen root requires more for same effect as dried medium grind (you have some water weight to factor in) and i don't think fresh frozen root would work well in an aluball, unless you have 3-4 balls shaken at once...

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks to both of you @hightides42 and @_byron . Just based on that feedback, it seems like frozen isn’t as good as dried (not as potent, it takes more for the same desired result). What’s the reason some people say it’s the best type of kava? Is it just because it tastes different? It sounded like it’s a more premium product so that’s why I was curious to try it, but maybe that’s not the case?

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
it is a premium product. dried kava was once fresh kava. That fresh kava needed to be dried. In that drying process 4-5x the weight of the kava gets lost.
What makes it better? Or maybe that’s a subjective question? From what I’ve researched, it sounds like taste may be the main difference, but is there more to it than that?

hightides42

our Roots run deep
fresh certainly is 'as potent' as dried, you just don't have any water weight with dried medium grind (and micronized and instant) so you use 'more' fresh by weight / volume to achieve similar effect.

perhaps look closely at cost would better put into perspective. 9 pounds for $295 shipped from the Ranch would be similar cost to 5 pounds dry medium grind or 1.5 pounds of instant and I'd say the value is there.

I am totally sold on @Pu'u O Hoku Ranch fresh frozen awa's as being a superior product to dried, admitting I'm pretty smitten with all the wonderful Hawaiian awa cultivars (experiencing most all the GHK and the Ranch offerings at this point to determine) over any from other Pacific islands at this point.

On fresh frozen, simply delicious, very light and fresh tastes and Strong/potent, worth a try (get a nut milk filter bag tho, aluball wont cut it for frozen fresh imo

hightides42

our Roots run deep
that's a great idea, maybe use womens nylons to strain filter and give a final squeeze to.
many use nylons, i just forgot, probably better to get a sock pair of them and double up by put one inside the other then simply pour straight from blender.

probably blend on high for a full minute or two or on low for 3-5

::KavaChug::

Zaphod

Kava Lover
100% use a blender and then strain. I typically put the whole frozen block in, some warm to hot water, and blend for 1-2 minutes then strain. Once strained I will put the kava back into the blender and do a second "wash/blend" and strain again. I have a Ninja blender so the frozen block is quickly pulverized with out too much trouble (sometimes a quick blast or two to start and get it broken up). I can't recommend using an aluball - or see any reasonable way to use one with frozen kava. You could just use a strainer bag, but it will take longer for it to defrost and then of course kneading.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
100% use a blender and then strain. I typically put the whole frozen block in, some warm to hot water, and blend for 1-2 minutes then strain. Once strained I will put the kava back into the blender and do a second "wash/blend" and strain again. I have a Ninja blender so the frozen block is quickly pulverized with out too much trouble (sometimes a quick blast or two to start and get it broken up). I can't recommend using an aluball - or see any reasonable way to use one with frozen kava. You could just use a strainer bag, but it will take longer for it to defrost and then of course kneading.
Thanks that sounds like a good efficient method. I don’t have anyone to drink with, and I’m guessing your method will yield way more kava than I can drink alone. So would you recommend re-freezing the blended portion I don’t use for a later session? That way, I can just defrost and drink each time since the prep work would have already been done.

Also, how much water would you recommend adding to the blender with 1 lb of frozen kava?

Thanks!