What's new

Kava Botany How to read Kava chemotypes

Pecorino

Kava Curious
And here's some of my notes from back when I also looked into this so you have it in a nutshell.

1. Desmethoxyangonin
Desmethoxyyangonin. Role in increasing the dopamine levels considered by scientists.

2. Dihydrokavain (DHK)
Associated with the "heavy" kavas. Appears to contribute significantly to the anxiolytic effects of kava.

3. Yangonin
Proven association with cannabinoid receptors.

4. Kavain
Associated with the "heady" kavas. More studies available than for other kavalactones, yet still it's unclear how it works. Proven anxiolytic, psychoactive and analgesic effects.

5. Dihydromethysticin (DHM)
Associated with "heavy" kavas, claimed to have long-lasting effects, proven analgesic, anticonvulsant, and anxiolytic effects, may cause issues related to benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-dihydrodiol-9,10-epoxide.

6. Methysticin
May cause issues related to benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-dihydrodiol-9,10-epoxide.

Typical chemotype description consists of six digits, representing the six major kavalactones. They're ordered by the contents: 321456 kava contains more yangonin than dihydrokavain, more dihydrokavain than desmethoxyangonin and so on. Digit 2 on the first position presumably indicates "heavy" kava. 46 as the start - very "heady".

aviavieu

Kava Enthusiast
So in a nutshell
Kavain-
It works and adds euphoria

Yangonin -
stimulates, adds energy

Dihydrokavain -
It works sedately

dihydromethysticin
Theses work seditively, but it's good that this kavalactones is not too much, because it can cause drowsiness and other unpleasant effects

how it works ?
desmethoxyyangonin And Methysticic

I can not find any information on the internet about their operation. I will be grateful for the answers or hints from the elaborations on the operation of these two Kavalactones

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
There are so many unknowns here that if you are looking for a simple answer, you will be disappointed. The above info provides some hints, but certainly not the whole answer. It is the equivalent of saying that "ethanol makes you brave" or "thc makes you happy".

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
individual biochemistry will render any canned responses useless. everyone loved Kula when BKH had it. It was a typical heady Tongan, but did nothing for me. Talk to the same people about the same kavas and you'll get several responses. Read up on Nangol noble vs Numbawan or Hiwa vs Hanakapi'ai and you'll see. There is no consistent presentation depending on what you're looking for.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I want to stay naive to chemotypes, I prefer finding a relationship with each strain from sensing it, taste, smell, texture/feel, the numbing profile (is it numbing right away then fades off for ten minutes or does it take a while to begin then lasts for half an hour?)