What's new

Kava Preparation How to use a stick blender

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I just got this delivered today, to try out. Anyone know how to use it for making Kava? I know there are some posts out there that talk about it, but can't find them. :(

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I use a metal mixing bowl with an emulsion blender. something like this (~$10 at Wallyworld, I know i know supergiantevilstore but it's a rare visit)
upload_2014-6-27_15-10-0.jpeg

not sure how much mine holds but I'll start by pouring 4 cups of water/mixer into it (warm or cool, whatever). It's important to pour in the liquid first otherwise you may end up with muddy stuff stuck to the sides that's a pain to scrape up and mix in. I'll start blending the water first then toss the root in so it's mixed in right away.

Starting with 4 cups liquid is what I've found works without the blender spraying the grog everywhere. I'll hold the on button and let it sit in the middle of the bowl so the liquid starts to swirl around like a whirlpool effect. As some tradition is, i think, sing a song or at least listen to one, that's about the time I start to see more yellow foam start to bloom around the mixer. Warm water seems to help that yellow happen more. I'll even tip the blender at an angle to get a more intense whirling effect but be careful not to spray it everywhere! Also, add in liquid if you need more as you're blending, just adjust the amount of kava accordingly from the get-go. The more time i spend blending the less time i spend squeezing but I'll still give it at least a minute or two squeeze just because. Have fun!

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I just got this delivered today, to try out. Anyone know how to use it for making Kava? I know there are some posts out there that talk about it, but can't find them. :(

My wife has one of those. The brand is Miallegro. I don't really know what she does with that thing and I've never used it. I always use my nutria-bullet for kava.

D

Deleted User01

Hedgie, you can use a stick blender to make healthy refried beans. Just put that stick blender into a bowl of beans and let it rippppp. Th en heat them up. No oil necessary. Put them on a baked tortilla and that is a super low fat supper (with some lettuce, tomato, onions and hot sauce, cheese is optional)

More info, I think she drops it in and out while it is whirring away. You have to move it around to get everything blended up. It's a little more manual labor but cleanup is a snap.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Hedgie, you can use a stick blender to make healthy refried beans. Just put that stick blender into a bowl of beans and let it rippppp. Th en heat them up. No oil necessary. Put them on a baked tortilla and that is a super low fat supper (with some lettuce, tomato, onions and hot sauce, cheese is optional)

More info, I think she drops it in and out while it is whirring away. You have to move it around to get everything blended up. It's a little more manual labor but cleanup is a snap.
That sounds really good except for the no oil part. I thought that oil goes into everything? It does in my house, (y)

D

Deleted User01

See now, that thar is the difference between us Low Fat Guys and you Low Carb guys. And just to rub it in, you low Carb guys don't get enough fiber so you weep when you should reap.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
See now, that thar is the difference between us Low Fat Guys and you Low Carb guys. And just to rub it in, you low Carb guys don't get enough fiber so you weep when you should reap.
The more oil, fat, and protein the better, it's brain food. I don't need more carbs, I'm already fat! :grumpy:

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Coconut Oil! healthy and it goes with or on everything, skin included. soothes that's dry or irritated skin. even goes in me kava...

D

Deleted User01

All that may be brain food, but it ain't heart food. Coconut Oil is one of the worse (God Bless It's Little Ole Soul). As a rule the tastier it is the worse it is. Anyway, I'm lecturing with a ham bone in one hand and an oversize beef rib in the other. It's impossible for me to go low fat when my wife is on lipitor and "she can eat anything!". And then there are potatoe chips.:hungry: The other day I was watching a documentary about lays who merged with Fritos and who later sued Pringles. I found my self in the Kitchen late at night getting into the chip bag.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Coconut Oil! healthy and it goes with or on everything, skin included. soothes that's dry or irritated skin. even goes in me kava...
I've used it in my kava several times. I'm not sure if it helps or not. I did learn to never put that stuff in the fridge though, at least the stuff we have, it will turn hard as a rock.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
We only use olive oil 99% of the time, at home. I'm not convinced at all about fats, at least the ones from natural sources, as being bad for you. Almost all of the work I do is for a large research institution, and I see too many contradicting studies on a lot of things, including this subject, so I just have to form my own biased opinions to settle the doubt. I like fat, so it's good for me! :pompus:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
SANY0007.JPG

Well, When you figure out how to apply that thing to kava, let me know. My wife uses this one to make milk shakes. Ill do some experimenting with it tonight.:happy:. Ours came with a little pitcher. I had to dig it out and blow off the dust. We have not used this thing for a while. I would love to put it back in use. Thanks @HeadHodge for reminding me, that I even have one ;) Much love. Roaddog....

Attachments

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
View attachment 739

Well, When you figure out how to apply that thing to kava, let me know. My wife uses this one to make milk shakes. Ill do some experimenting with it tonight.:happy:. Ours came with a little pitcher. I had to dig it out and blow off the dust. We have not used this thing for a while. I would love to put it back in use. Thanks @HeadHodge for reminding me, that I even have one ;) Much love. Roaddog....
If you're putting that blender in the cup thing to blend the kava it looks like it would work well. Just be sure to put the water in first, kava first means sticky mud at the bottom...also don't fill it up all the way as, depending on how intense the blender is, it may blow out the blender and all you'll have kava on your ceiling :oops: << I may be talking from experience on that :banghead:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Ya, @HeadHodge Maybe you need some kind of pitcher, or like a very large plastic cup. Something that will allow it to be mixed, and still fall to the bottom, where it can regather, and blend again. If that makes sense. Basically you need a proper container. Maybe even a large canning jar. Much love. Roaddog....

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Mine came with a plastic picture, similar to yours. So I may give that a try.
Ya, I just filled mine with water, to watch what it dose. I guarantee these things will work. Mine almost sucks the head into the bottom of the pitcher. Its got some power. just 2 more hours till Kava thirty. We will be trying this thing out tonight. Its funny how you find the light, in the strangest places, when you look at it right. Much love.:smug: Roaddog....

infraredz

BULA!
I know that the kava bar in SD (Mystic Water[s?]) and many other kava bars use this sort of blender since its the only thing that is capable of blending the large amount of kava that a kava bar would prepare.

Maybe @Bula Kava House or @Andrew Procyk would have some input if they use it to make their kava.

I know Judd also uses an expensive juice press, but I'm guessing that they probably also blend it a little beforehand.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
NutriBulletandOtherThingy.jpg

So, how do I know which of these thingies is best for mixing kava? I think for now I'm going to stick with the one that is less likely to splatter kava all over and get me into trouble...