What's new

How unhealthy is a washdown really?

Pauli

Kava Curious
The Fijian man talks about "washdown" meaning, drinking beer after kava I have heard one should have a 24 hours break, but Fijian culture may say otherwise

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting video! I'm glad the woman drank a "high tide", for a moment I was beginning to wonder why they seemed to be taking baby sips of kava. Full shell is how I like it, too.

I noticed fried foods, candy, and soda present, and I heard the segment about having beer after kava, and it seems cultural. I tried to look at their facial reactions when the subject was brought up. It surprises me that all these different cultures surrounding kava exist.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The Fijian man talks about "washdown" meaning, drinking beer after kava I have heard one should have a 24 hours break, but Fijian culture may say otherwise
Beer and liquor are on two totally different ends of the spectrum in regards to kava consumption and adverse events.

A low alcohol beer is likely not to cause issues, however a 6 pack of them likely would.

In order to make it as easy to understand as possible, we suggest 24 hours between any type of alcoholic drink and kava consumption.

Edit: Also it's not part of their traditional culture. Kava has been in Fiji LONG before Alcohol touched the first lips in that country. Any alcohol consumption at all in Fiji is a western addition, and the combination of kava and alcohol can also be seen as such.

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Returning to this topic, unrelated to beer, the man who serves kava and acts as a guide, describes the Fijian tradition of clapping three times after a shell.

I played soccer today, ran hard, and used a very light brew of kava (28grams in one liter cold water squeezed for three minutes) to hydrate along with water during the hour and a half of gameplay. I noticed immediate photosensitivity due to kava however I still had enough visual acuity, eye muscle strength, and peripheral awareness to see what was going on with the players on the field and the ball. My speed and endurance and reaction time were pretty fantastic for me too. My intention of coming here is not to shed light on an ounce of kava being too benign to encumber me. My intention is to say that I had one shell left in the jar from the game, in the fridge. I drank it now, seven hours after the game. I remembered the video in this post and clapped three times after the shell, quietly. It felt good, and afterwards I let out a therapeutic soft burp. The clapping motion seems good for the belly. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, I love the way the soccer ball sounds when it's kicked, and the view of the mountains, dark clouds and a strong breeze. The clouds were at an altitude of 4,750 to 5,250 feet (1450 to 1600meters), I could tell by looking at the mountains and watching the summits come and go.