What's new

I am a boil up convert.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I tried it. Once. I don't recommend it.
But here is one booster method worth trying imo. Take equal volumes of dry medium grind and water. Stir to an even consistency, till the root is rehydrated. Then put in a blender and grind on low for 20 - 30 seconds. Pour into a container, pop in the freezer till solid, at least an hour but overnight is better. Then thaw and trad prep with usual ratio for whatever volume medium grind you started with. Bit of effort but it will make grog a little stronger and with s broader effect profile. I’m all about entourage effects.

Last edited:

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
I wonder if adding amylase to convert the starch to sugar would work in combination with the boiling method to make the taste less funky.
I have actually done experiments with amylases! It's actually su
Dr interesting. When I do the boiling method, afterwards I filter, and the strainer bag becomes very very slippery and slimy, and it's hard to fully get everything through the strainer. I think that the starch being released after the breakdown of the cell walls contributes to the slimy feel.

However, if I boil, THEN add amylase and allow to sit for 30 minutes, the slipperyness is completely gone. Like 100% gone. It's like a magic trick that you can feel. I'm guessing the starch is broken down to shorter chains of sugars which dissolve right into the water.

It provides a potent brew, and extra washes do not provide very much, so it seems to extract damn near everything. However, it tastes funky and has an odd texture. Also it's a real process. Defi Italy worth a try once just out of interest!

Jean

Kava Curious
Well, heating dissolves more and different KL. But are those specific KL extracted by heating as good and as safe as the KL extracted with cold water ? On the other side I can imagine simply that the starch from the broken cells helps to solubilize (or disperse) the less soluble KL in water. The general question remains : it is good to try to get the less soluble KL in general ?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Well, heating dissolves more and different KL. But are those specific KL extracted by heating as good and as safe as the KL extracted with cold water ? On the other side I can imagine simply that the starch from the broken cells helps to solubilize (or disperse) the less soluble KL in water. The general question remains : it is good to try to get the less soluble KL in general ?
Safe yes, palatable? Not even a little bit. cold/warm/mildly hot water extraction is far superior. I always extract with hot to the touch to get the most bang out of any kava I knead. Sometimes I prefer a cold water extraction, it depends on my mood, not so much the type of kava. 95% of all kavas on the market today are above par, it's just a matter of prepping it to taste. Warm/hot water extraction more max KL extraction or cold water extraction for cleaner, lighter vibe.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I have tried making 2nd or 3rdcwash with boiling water. It is pushing limit with palatability. It is revolting. Perhaps it works with best tasting ones or with cloves and ginger to pacify the taste buds, IDK.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
For the P.S.L. Melo Melo I have, I've been running 4 cups of water with 6-8 tablespoons of root through the coffee maker and then letting the root powder soak for a few minutes before kneading. I find that for some reason the P.S.L. kava is better with a warm soak. It makes it taste bitter and thick, but makes it stronger and heavier...