What's new

I don't get it.

Indy

I really don't. Ive tried kava 4 times now and out of what ive read for experiences the only one I can relate to is it tastes bad. I ordered a sample pack from calm with kava. Im using 3-4 tbsp of loa waka, 1.5 cups hot water and kneaded for 10 minutes, empty stomach an hour or so before bed. And nothing. What am I doing wrong here?

I used the last of the waka tonight, I have borough and borongoru left.

I'm looking just to relax and hopefully sleep better.

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
While I'm obviously a newbie to Kava myself, I know that Kava has a weird reverse tolerance to it. Meaning that some people will take it multiple times and not feel anything, and then suddenly the effects finally kick in. The handful of times I've used it so far, I only experienced the effects twice.

I'd say just keep trying it out.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I really don't. Ive tried kava 4 times now and out of what ive read for experiences the only one I can relate to is it tastes bad. I ordered a sample pack from calm with kava. Im using 3-4 tbsp of loa waka, 1.5 cups hot water and kneaded for 10 minutes, empty stomach an hour or so before bed. And nothing. What am I doing wrong here?

Just to eliminate any doubt a tablespoon is about 10 to 15 grams depending on how you heap it. It is a tablespoon you're using and not a teaspoon? Sorry but just checking...

I would say use more water as 1.5 cups might not be enough to extract all the KL's from 4 tablespoons. Try using 3 cups and to begin with use room temp water. See how that goes. It probably is down to reverse tolerance but could be a prep issue too. Maybe try putting it all in a blender for a minute and then passing through the strainer. That's a more reliable way for beginners to kava prep.

MikeNMissy

Kava Curious
Blend it. We use a magic bullet. Then strain it through double nylon stockings. Add a lecithin if you can or a splash of something fatty like whole milk or half n half. Kava is very subtle and elusive. Are you consuming any other substances? If I take K@ I have to wait about 6 hours to shell or I won't feel it at all.

Indy

I'm definitely using tablespoons, no other substances. Besides when I had my appendix out ive never used more than tylenol. I haven't even had a glass of wine in a few weeks. I'll try the blender tonight and see if that helps.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
I'm definitely using tablespoons, no other substances. Besides when I had my appendix out ive never used more than tylenol. I haven't even had a glass of wine in a few weeks. I'll try the blender tonight and see if that helps.
Like shakas said, 8 tablespoons is the normal amount for a kava session

Zaphod

Kava Lover

There was a poll done a few years back - the average kava user had about 8 Tablespoons of kava per session. Few were on the 3-4 range and some went as high as 12, but 8 was just about right over a 3-4 hour period. I don't personally believe in reverse tolerance but some swear it exists. No eating for 3-4 hours ahead of time will help as well. You can also get a minimum of two washes out of each batch - and in some cases 3-4. So my general recommendation is drink more kava. Space out your shells by 20 min or so to feel the effect. Don't be to worried about drinking too much - if it hits you too hard and fast it usually passes rather quickly into a nice vibe.

Indy

I've been blending instead of kneading, 4 spoons 1.5 cups and doing 2 washes. I'm out of the 2nd type as of tonight. Ill try upping the amount on the next type. Still nothing noticeeable. Except I've been had dreams 3 nights out 4, I generally dont dream. I cant imagine getting used to the taste...

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I have been using Kava for a number of years. I personally never had reverse tolerance (I am also a light head, too much and the taste will turn my guts inside out); however, I absolutely must be by myself in a quite place or I will not feel much. If I can hear the Kava song (ears ringing), I know a krunk session is on the way. The best kava I ever had was in 2015, it was a Fijian (I think it was the same brand that got @Squanch72 really into it). Haven’t had a kava hit that good in all that time. My brother who has been known to take a few illicit substances said it was like a low dose of ecstasy. I also had to beat a slight reaction to it (seemed to be an allergy at the time, seemed to come from one cultivar. Could have been some kind of mold in it?). Dunno, point being keep trying you may hit paydirt.

AKWAKA

Took me 3 or 4 sessions, but 1 was mixing 1 cup of root to 4 cups of water, pretty heavy mix. Finally one night it announced it's presence in a big way. I now mix 1 cup K to 8 cups W. Reverse tolerance is for real. Keep trying and maybe increase the potency a bit. Good luck...