What's new

Kava Side Effects I Keep Throwing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been drinking kava daily (with a few couple-day breaks) for the past two months. It's changed my life for the better and reversed my alcoholism.
However, I can't figure out how to drink it long term without vomiting. I started with KWK micronized, heard that could be contributing to it, took up medium grind where I soak six tablespoons overnight, pulse in a blender for 5 minutes then strain, but I still end up throwing up after a bit. I've experimented with different soaking and blending times and using the traditional kneading method, nothing gives. In addition, the effects seem to be way weaker/almost nonexistent compared to when I started with it. So far I've tried:
eating a little beforehand
eating after a shell
taking a ginger pill
taking beptobismol
not laying down
instant kava
different heady strains of KWK and GHK
I just want the old effects without the vomiting back. Has this happened to anyone else? What has helped you?

Last edited:

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I ask on behalf of someone else who may have better answers....

1. Did the vomiting start when you started drinking kava?

2a. If no to the 1st question,how many kava drinking sessions did you have before you started vomiting?
2b. Did you change up anything (i.e. kava product, kava preparation, quantity of dry powder, etc) before you first started vomiting?

I ask on behalf of someone else who may have better answers....

1. Did the vomiting start when you started drinking kava?

2a. If no to the 1st question,how many kava drinking sessions did you have before you started vomiting?
2b. Did you change up anything (i.e. kava product, kava preparation, quantity of dry powder, etc) before you first started vomiting?

1. yes, but after a few weeks. I drink/drank kava multiple times a day for several weeks before the throwing up
2b. I don't remember changing anything. Initially I only drank KWK micronised, started throwing up, read that it could be the cause so I stopped. Then I started only medium grind, with soaking overnight. Then I read that soaking overnight can cause it to be too strong to be strained well, so I started soaking it five minutes before blending.

Thank you for trying to help, I really appreciate it! Kava is the only thing so far I have found to help with my depression!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Are you puking as an immediate reaction to the bitter flavor after you swallow it?
Are you puking from too much sediment and liquid in your stomach?
Are you puking from the effects of the kava "high" after it kicks in?

Or maybe you have another health problem or genetic issue that is unknown to you but responds poorly to metabolizing kava ?

Are you puking as an immediate reaction to the bitter flavor after you swallow it?
Are you puking from too much sediment and liquid in your stomach?
Are you puking from the effects of the kava "high" after it kicks in?

Or maybe you have another health problem or genetic issue that is unknown to you but responds poorly to metabolizing kava ?
1. No, it's always at least ten minutes afterwards, sometimes up to an hour later
2. This might be it, I've taken several day breaks from it but it still happens after a day or so
3. One time yes, I was sooo krunked, but most of the time, I don't get that much high
4. I really hope this isn't it, but it might be. How could I get this tested?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
1. No, it's always at least ten minutes afterwards, sometimes up to an hour later
2. This might be it, I've taken several day breaks from it but it still happens after a day or so
3. One time yes, I was sooo krunked, but most of the time, I don't get that much high
4. I really hope this isn't it, but it might be. How could I get this tested?
When you make traditional prep do you strain it properly, with a good strainer that's at least 100 micron, if not smaller ?

To puke soon after drinking sounds to me like a personal reaction...being sickened from over-drinking or being too buzzed should should take longer kick...unless you drink a huge strong batch all at one time, then I could it see that happening to some people.

Are you on any daily medications or herbs ?
Do you have digestive issues with anything else in your life?

When you make traditional prep do you strain it properly, with a good strainer that's at least 100 micron, if not smaller ?

To puke soon after drinking sounds to me like a personal reaction...being sickened from over-drinking or being too buzzed should should take longer kick...unless you drink a huge strong batch all at one time, then I could it see that happening to some people.

Are you on any daily medications or herbs ?
Do you have digestive issues with anything else in your life?
I strain with an 80 micron nut bag, replacing it often because I tend to stretch it out.
I take a small dose of prozac daily. I don't have any digestive issues other than the kava.

Pecorino

Kava Curious
I feel your pain. I'm struggling to not throw up every session, and when I fail, it's very metal - describing it would qualify as explicit content.

Here's a poll about what helps people with nausea. In short, according to it's results so far, you should try chewing or otherwise consuming some ginger (90.9% votes), getting horizontal for a while (54.5% votes) or getting more air (36.4% votes). None of those works for me, but maybe you'll have more luck. Using 70 micron strainer, drinking water and having some strongly-flavoured chaser seems to help a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.