What's new

I need advice

I’ve actually never posted in this forum before but I need some specific advice. I didn’t know much about kava when I started and I immediately fell in love with kava. I’ve been using mironized for a year know and my dosage has gone up considerable. I’m currently taking 1-2 table spoons every 3-5 hours. At first I got really dry hands and fe and didn’t relate the two.. now my whole body is dry and flakey and itchy. My hands will crack and bleed. Every time I try to stop using or cut back my dosage my body goes through with drawls. I get restless, can’t sleep, have chills, and sweats, and aches. I know some of it it mental but there is a physical withdrawal I’m experiencing. Have I been taking too much? The wrong kind? I have been using Kalm with kava micronized and haven’t tried a different kind. I don’t want to top but I have to because of my skin issues. But the withdrawals also suck. Every single time I go a day or two without it it happens. Also something to add, I was addicted to opiates for a few years but it’s been 9 years since I’ve used any opiate and I don’t take any medications. I rarely drink alcohol maybe once every 3 months sometimes longer. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I’ve actually never posted in this forum before but I need some specific advice. I didn’t know much about kava when I started and I immediately fell in love with kava. I’ve been using mironized for a year know and my dosage has gone up considerable. I’m currently taking 1-2 table spoons every 3-5 hours. At first I got really dry hands and fe and didn’t relate the two.. now my whole body is dry and flakey and itchy. My hands will crack and bleed. Every time I try to stop using or cut back my dosage my body goes through with drawls. I get restless, can’t sleep, have chills, and sweats, and aches. I know some of it it mental but there is a physical withdrawal I’m experiencing. Have I been taking too much? The wrong kind? I have been using Kalm with kava micronized and haven’t tried a different kind. I don’t want to top but I have to because of my skin issues. But the withdrawals also suck. Every single time I go a day or two without it it happens. Also something to add, I was addicted to opiates for a few years but it’s been 9 years since I’ve used any opiate and I don’t take any medications. I rarely drink alcohol maybe once every 3 months sometimes longer. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you!
Kava itself doesn't cause physical withdrawals, so this must be a rebound effect from the anxiety you're looking to suppress. You definitely need to cut back your dosage because you're experiencing kava dermapothy due to it. My advice to you would be to switch to medium grind and get in the habit of kneading traditionally in a strainer. Micronized seems to be causing more and more issues for people lately. I'm leaning with the growers and experts in that traditional kava is the safest way to consume with the least chance of any negative effects.

Ok, thank you! I guess I’ve always done micronized because i don’t really know how to do the other. Where would be a good place to start I learn about that? Also how long usually will it take my skin to recover? I’m also discovering I’m not drinking as much water as I should.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
The kavapedia post on dermo has some good advice about the best lotions to use to mitigate the symptoms in the short term.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/kava-dermopathy/
Amlactin or other products containing lactic acid are the most effective for dry flaky skin, but be careful using it on skin that is actually cracked because it will sting if you get it in open cuts since it is acidic.. For cracked hands try lanolin..

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ok, thank you! I guess I’ve always done micronized because i don’t really know how to do the other. Where would be a good place to start I learn about that? Also how long usually will it take my skin to recover? I’m also discovering I’m not drinking as much water as I should.
@verticity is correct, that post has quite a bit of useful information.

Here's one I suggest taking a look at regarding traditional preparation.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/thoughts-on-kava-preparation.2009/

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Try ingesting some coconut oil. I use capsules and never get dry skin from kava anymore.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Try ingesting some coconut oil. I use capsules and never get dry skin from kava anymore.
I definitely need to start doing this. My skin has gotten progressively worse. First I had eye issues with micronized then I went to using medium grind. Aluball and traditional prep with a bag. Then the hands started. Then it was face. Now my back is getting rough. Thanks for the link and advice.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thank you, I will!
I definitely need to start doing this. My skin has gotten progressively worse. First I had eye issues with micronized then I went to using medium grind. Aluball and traditional prep with a bag. Then the hands started. Then it was face. Now my back is getting rough. Thanks for the link and advice.
Please both report back on the results. This is something I keep talking about and yet I still see people asking questions about it, and I mean people who have been members for a long time. We need to get the message out there a bit more it seems.

Oh my gosh even my eyes are super dry and they won’t heal. I didn’t even connect it until recently.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Maybe with your anxiety you can substitute something mild to help you deal while you are not using kava? High doses of steeped chamomile really can help with sleep and anxiety (best to simmer low heat while covering the pot 5-8g or if it's tea bags, 5 in one go) also theanine powder is fairly cheap and can help for anxiety. 0.2 to 1 gram is a reasonable dosage. Also black seed oil for restlessness and anxiety, can be found at the health food store. Take 1/2 teaspoon to see how it affects you but some people take up to 2 teaspoons. Don't combine it with the kava if your tryi g to cut back because it may make it stronger. All these things could be used alternately with kava every other day or something like that. It's pretty crazy that you need to dose kava so often like that. Ive never heard of anything like that. Switching to traditional prep medium grind kava will probably help with dermo and lessen the effect on your body as a whole.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Every once in a while I get dermo in a random new location. Curing it is as simple as waiting for your skin layers to grow out and replace the dry scaly stuff, so long as you stay hydrated and eat healthy.

Over the years, I've had wandering dermo on: ankles, hands, eyes, shoulders, armpits, and lips. Never all at the same time, though. Whenever it strikes, I endeavor to drink lots of extra water, use gentle soap when bathing (and sparingly) and make sure I'm getting my vitamins.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My experience is if you completely stop it could take 1-2 weeks for your skin to fully recover. It can even get worse for 1-2 days after stopping. On the other hand most of the time if I just cut back it seems to take less time for the dermo to drop to manageable levels. I also started with microgrind for the first 9 months - until the dermo was way too bad to handle. Mine included getting painful styes in the eyes as well. Using traditional prep or aluball will definitely help mitigate but not fully eliminate the chance of dermo coming back. I have found a kava I enjoy which does not give me dermo at even high doses - so I tend to cycle that one in every couple of days to keep the snowglobe effect of taking off my shirt to a minimum.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Please both report back on the results. This is something I keep talking about and yet I still see people asking questions about it, and I mean people who have been members for a long time. We need to get the message out there a bit more it seems.
Picked up 2- 150 ct bottles of 1000mg coconut oil capsules at CVS $12.99. Got a BOGO50%. Just downed 2 pills. I’ll update more in the coming days

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Switch to trad prep.

This thread really helped me understand how dermo works. I have probably 50% of my body affected right now. My trunk, arms, legs, etc. I am using AmLactin on the affected areas and coconut oil internally, along with a mulitvitamin. It's getting better without stopping, at least so far. I've been treating it for three days.

I switched from micronized to traditional prep. I don't make it as strong as some, I want the extra water to make it easier to stay hydrated.

My experience is if you completely stop it could take 1-2 weeks for your skin to fully recover. It can even get worse for 1-2 days after stopping. On the other hand most of the time if I just cut back it seems to take less time for the dermo to drop to manageable levels. I also started with microgrind for the first 9 months - until the dermo was way too bad to handle. Mine included getting painful styes in the eyes as well. Using traditional prep or aluball will definitely help mitigate but not fully eliminate the chance of dermo coming back. I have found a kava I enjoy which does not give me dermo at even high doses - so I tend to cycle that one in every couple of days to keep the snowglobe effect of taking off my shirt to a minimum.
Zaphod, what variety of kava works for you? I've been pretty much drinking Fiji Wakas from various vendors, but since the dermo I'm looking for something else.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
I like to use coconut oil on my skin as a moisturizer, though I don't drink enough kava to get full blown dermo. Or maybe I'm just lucky, considering I'm basically a daily kava drinker now :)

Coconut milk/oil is delicious in Thai curries too, but it's heavy on the saturated fat so I try not to have too much.

T

Terrance J Goins JR

i know what you mean what has helped me is drinking alot of water i actually had this nasty little rash in my back that just wouldn't go away i started to drink crazy amounts of water 2 gallons at one point it helped. You should try lotion as well.