What's new

Video I reviewed a tasty new Kava Tonga on Amazon

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
It was sweet! Really excellent taste.

ty for the kind words
Hey Krunkie. Thanks for posting another enjoyable and fun video for us all.

I am just curious, do you have a rough idea of how many actual grams of the kava you used in this preparation?

I'm guessing abput 20 grams worth maybe? Would that be in the ballpark?
I put 15 grams in my Aluballs mostly, I dpuble wash them and mix together, 300ml 1st wash, 270ml 2nd wash. You definitely get a nice strong lift if you drink that shell in one.

I used the bag shake method many times too after watching your video demonstrations as well. Definitely hits me harder than Aluballing, but more nausea c9 es with it for me personally.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey Krunkie. Thanks for posting another enjoyable and fun video for us all.

I am just curious, do you have a rough idea of how many actual grams of the kava you used in this preparation?

I'm guessing abput 20 grams worth maybe? Would that be in the ballpark?
I put 15 grams in my Aluballs mostly, I dpuble wash them and mix together, 300ml 1st wash, 270ml 2nd wash. You definitely get a nice strong lift if you drink that shell in one.

I used the bag shake method many times too after watching your video demonstrations as well. Definitely hits me harder than Aluballing, but more nausea c9 es with it for me personally.
This one I used 30g to 500ml

Thanks for the kind words. Bula!

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
This one I used 30g to 500ml

Thanks for the kind words. Bula!
Hi, thanks very much for answering me on that. I am by nature OCD, but I think it can help to accurately quantify things with kava dosages, effects, exoeriences etc especially when it pertains to different cultivars.

And actually, when I use the bag shaje nethos now, I do weigh exactly 30 grams.

That is the perfect amount so that a 1st wash packs a nice punch, and a 2nd wash in slightly less or practically equal water, as you noted here, can be almost a thick and dark.

Unlike the Aluballs with 15 grams, the 2nd wash on it's own is too thin and pointless to me, hence my current practice of double washing every 15 gram Aluball in 575 ml water, mixing and I usually take it in 3 even glasses, over 30-60 minutes.

The bag shake us different though. It lets more through, depending on the microns, vs Aluballs.

So 20-30 grams in a bag, good return for buck and can either double wash and squeeze into one strong jar, or enjoy wash one, then a very worthwhile wash two as well.

Thanks again Krunkie. Since venturing into the Kava world, your own inputs, videos, thoughts and shared experiences have all been very enjoyable and educational for me.

Oh yes Krunkie, one of my favorite Kavas so far is N@H Solomon Gold. I like it a lot. Easy to drink, easy on the stomach. Very sociable, not overly physically euphoric, heady or rushy.

But very happy effect. I wondeted if you have tried this one, I recommend sometime if not but I know you have been around the "bush" a good bit lol!

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
How long do you usually shake the jar? Also wanted to know your favorite way to brew kava as well. I was using the blender tech but guess I was running my blender to long and burned it out :(
From his videos, I observed he really doesn't shake the jar for that long, per wash. Nor emphasise the need to do so.

Like, 20 to 30 seconds I think I observed. I still shake a bit longer than that myself, when I use this method.
But depending on the micron count of your bag, this method lets more through vs the Aluballs, so a stronger grog is achievable more quickly.

But I only do 2 washes. Two seperate 25 gram jars I made yesterday. I add sunflower lecithin, and shook each two washes per bag for over a minute at least.

I think Krunkie does more than two washes.

Interesting also to note, and he is clearly very experienced and knowlegable about all aspects of kava, including preparation- he uses cold, or unheated water.

I find this method noticeably stronger in effects than Aluballing, but the blender method still yields the strongest brew and best bang for buck.

I add lecithin to 30 to 50 grams, add 1 litre of pretty warm water for say, 40 grams, a bit more for 50 grams. Stir and leave for about an hour, blend 2 minutes on high, 2 minutes on low, strain.

Sorry to hear your blender burned out. Is it still in warrantee? Maybe you can get a new blender. I definitely get the best all round effects from the blender anyway, but using the bag shake is so easy and quick.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Great video! So, better than Tongan Family Reserve? :sneaky:::chugger::
BTW, I love the bambilla. I use one to drink my coffee every day.
No, it’s not better than Tongan family reserve, but it only cost $47 a pound. For that price it’s an excellent purchase in my opinion. It’s really good for drinking and has an excellent and distinct flavor. Also it mixes really well. For example right now I’m drinking a mixture of three parts Bati, Fijian waka from Kavafied, to two parts of this RR kava Tonga. Very nice. Very good for mixing.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
No, it’s not better than Tongan family reserve, but it only cost $47 a pound. For that price it’s an excellent purchase in my opinion. It’s really good for drinking and has an excellent and distinct flavor. Also it mixes really well. For example right now I’m drinking a mixture of three parts Bati, Fijian waka from Kavafied, to two parts of this RR kava Tonga. Very nice. Very good for mixing.
Maybe I'll give it a go! Bula!

DaManTheyCallB

Kava Curious
Hey man I appreciate you replying. Damn I used to shake my aluballs atleast 10mins . I figured it took that long to get all the kavalectones out. Would of saved me alot of time just doing it for 1 min but was afriad it wouldn't extract fully.

Unfortunately the blender is outta warranty imagine. Even that I ran to long . About 3-4 x 3 with new water in between. I guess I way over did that as well :( So only run the blender a total of no more then 5 mins I suppose?

I guess I further need to understand how attached kavalectones are attached to the root since I was excessive with it.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I would try this one myself but sadly no shipping to UK.

I did order 2 lbs Tongan Family Reserve and Tongan Choice from Kavaroots about 5 weeks back, but Im concerned there was an order processing error and it did not ship. Just waiting to hear back. No shipping confirmation or tracking was received.

Meanwhile, also excellently priced, I ordered 3 lbs of AAA grade from bestfijikava.

Instant shipping with tracking, reached UK very quick, minimal customs fee paid- arriving on Tuesday.