What's new

I tried Kava and felt horrible, please advise

Arianna

Hello everyone,
I tried kava as a help for anxiety and I really wanted to like it, as I read great things about it. I brought several micronized varieties of the brand Kalm with Kava. I bought micronized mostly because I thought it would be easy to control the dose. I drank 3 shells. All I felt was terrible nausea, followed by anxiety and depression for a couple of days. Is it because it was the micronized type? Can I strain the micronized? Thank you

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hello everyone,
I tried kava as a help for anxiety and I really wanted to like it, as I read great things about it. I brought several micronized varieties of the brand Kalm with Kava. I bought micronized mostly because I thought it would be easy to control the dose. I drank 3 shells. All I felt was terrible nausea, followed by anxiety and depression for a couple of days. Is it because it was the micronized type? Can I strain the micronized? Thank you
Hello Arianna welcome to kavaforums. While KWK is a wonderful vendor, micronized kava tends to have too much extra fiber, which causes GI problems, I am guessing that's why you may have felt nauseous. Kava also does take some getting used to, it's an acquired taste ;).

Better to buy medium grind and get a strainer through kalm with kava, they are inexpensive and kneading kava isn't difficult. An added benefit is you get to try a lot more different types of kava (or strains) since most vendors only sell medium grind.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hello everyone,
As mentioned above, medium grind may be a better way to start. I would urge you to try a few different kavas until you find one that suits you. From your experience it sounds like it could be heady kava that doesn't agree with you and I am exactly the same. From KWK try Vula Waka, Boronguru or the Samoan. If you are like me then Loa Waka will make you feel really bad and Pouni Ono would need to be drunk in moderation. Above all don't give up after your first experience although I'm sure it's tempting. Most people find that kava does start to work for them in the way they want as soon as they realise that not all kavas have the same effects.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
Kava works amazingly for anxiety and depression as well as a whole host of other things. I was the same way, way back when I first started. I have persistive depressive disorder and panic disorder and ever since i started drinking kava I've had very very minimal problems with both. It brings beauty and calmness to my life that I never had before, hell it even stopped my compulsive foot tapping haha. Just keep trying different kavas, it's like trying different shirts on in a changing room, some will be to small, others too big, some you may not like the look of but you'll find the ones that you'll eventually fall in love with.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello everyone,
I am wondering how far apart you spaced the 3 shells you consumed? And how much (tsp? tbsp?) you mixed per ?

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Kava works amazingly for anxiety and depression as well as a whole host of other things. I was the same way, way back when I first started. I have persistive depressive disorder and panic disorder and ever since i started drinking kava I've had very very minimal problems with both. It brings beauty and calmness to my life that I never had before, hell it even stopped my compulsive foot tapping haha. Just keep trying different kavas, it's like trying different shirts on in a changing room, some will be to small, others too big, some you may not like the look of but you'll find the ones that you'll eventually fall in love with.
That is so true with Kava. Much more so than USA etc patients finding the right form of thc herbage to effectively treat their condition and meet their mental preferences and requirements.

I find personally that's different kavas from different vendors can be so remarkably different, some can really be your cup of tea and some really not so much so it does take a bit of trial and error and perseverance.

And actually the reason I have subconsciously avoided trying micronized kava so far is because of the reported extra load on the gastrointestinal tract which I'm already extremely sensitive with due to my existing health conditions and allergies etc.

I was thinking if I did try the micronized form I would probably run it through my Aluballs, so hopefully minimise some of the potential GI discomfort.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Hello everyone,
I also agree with Krunky's suggestion above to try a few different medium quality medium grinds as well, they can all be so remarkably different and some are naturally more nauseating than others.

Good luck mate finding a kava which works for you and please keep us posted on any positive results we will all be interested in your progress and experience good luck mate.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
As mentioned above, medium grind may be a better way to start. I would urge you to try a few different kavas until you find one that suits you. From your experience it sounds like it could be heady kava that doesn't agree with you and I am exactly the same. From KWK try Vula Waka, Boronguru or the Samoan. If you are like me then Loa Waka will make you feel really bad and Pouni Ono would need to be drunk in moderation. Above all don't give up after your first experience although I'm sure it's tempting. Most people find that kava does start to work for them in the way they want as soon as they realise that not all kavas have the same effects.
Hi Edward. I concur with you on the Pouni Ono. It has such a rushy feelimg to it. The GHK M'oi is stimulating/cerebral in a different way. Strong, but not so flighty.

The KT Gourmet Savy Savu I find to be the more balanced, grounding, less anxiety prone than those other two.

Also I love the longer duration of the Savusavu, which transists into a lasting deep physical, but not overly sedating effect.

I do hope to acquire it again if opportunity should become available.

I was incredibly lucky enough to acquire two pounds worth of the KT Sava savu.

I enjoyed the first pouch so much that I have reserved the second on account of the fact I cannot really acquire more but I'm looking extremely forward to cracking that one open for a special treat at the right time.

Hope you are well Edward and look forward to being in closer touch again at some point take care mate.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Also a variety and mix and match particularly a contrast in terms of heady vs heavy can really enhance your overall kava experience offering you flexibility.

Like for example, an aluball with 10 grams purely heady Bestfijikava.com AAA Lawena, with 5 grams of N@H WoW Kava, can work as a beautiful synergy and balance each other out creating effectively a totally different experience and feeling.

I have enjoyed this particular combination a lot recently much more than either of those two cultivars alone.

I especially have enjoyed a blender prep 20 grams Pouni Ono, and 20 grams Melo Melo. They offset each other perfectly and synergized well.

The "Melo", delayed but slightly longer lasting effects of the Melo Melo completely dissipated any jitteriness or anxiety or restlessness from the Pouni Ono, and vice versa- plenty of euphoria and mental stimulation which was actually more enjoyable because it wasn't unsettling or making me restless.

I am a big proponent of mixing contrasting cultivars in various dosages to create a totally unique experience.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
That is so true with Kava. Much more so than USA etc patients finding the right form of thc herbage to effectively treat their condition and meet their mental preferences and requirements.

I find personally that's different kavas from different vendors can be so remarkably different, some can really be your cup of tea and some really not so much so it does take a bit of trial and error and perseverance.

And actually the reason I have subconsciously avoided trying micronized kava so far is because of the reported extra load on the gastrointestinal tract which I'm already extremely sensitive with due to my existing health conditions and allergies etc.

I was thinking if I did try the micronized form I would probably run it through my Aluballs, so hopefully minimise some of the potential GI discomfort.
I went ahead and made the switch to medium grind, trust me you're not really missing anything. And if you already have problems with GI discomfort, I don't recommend it. The only reason to use micronized would be convenience & the high bioavailability from ingesting the powder, but even that is negated by the cost difference.

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.
Hello everyone,
For me? I have a TBSP of Puoni Ono and half TBSP of Loa Waka in a small amount of water and I'm fine for a few hours. It has never impacted my stomach and many things bother my stomach. I'm curious to know what your shell sizes were. If I had 3 TBSP in short order using micronized I'd probably not feel so great.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
For me? I have a TBSP of Puoni Ono and half TBSP of Loa Waka in a small amount of water and I'm fine for a few hours. It has never impacted my stomach and many things bother my stomach. I'm curious to know what your shell sizes were. If I had 3 TBSP in short order using micronized I'd probably not feel so great.
I dont know how to quantify shells, or tablespoons at all.I am well OCD and I go purely by weight.

Tonight I had just 42 grams total, double washed 3 Aluballs of different varieties and I also topped up with a dose of instant kava several hours later which was just about perfect for this evening.

But sometimes, 30 grams has me krunked out for the night.

Other nights, 45 to 50 grams is common.

The most I have run through in one prolonged day long session is about 75 to 80 g I believe but that is rather excessive although I tolerated it extremely well at the time perhaps because it was mixed in and around some regular meals that day, which can make all the difference to renewing your energy and appetite and compensating for the more sedating and debilitating effects at higher doses.

But I have always been a fairly heavy user of virtually all psychoactive substances so please don't take a leaf out of my book.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Oh .yes Edward, in our similar experiences of the Pouni Ono, I did have a truly wonderful sessiin one day with zero edge at all- 20 grams Pouni Ono, with 20 grams KS Melo Melo.

It synergized to perfection. No edge of jitter to the Pouni, but a very delightful happy, uplifted mental state and alertness, perfectly temprered by the dozzier, gradual and very caliming/restful effetcs of the MELO Melo, not too sedating.

The Pouni added just the right amount of uplifted, excited, headyness to keep the longer active Melo Melo Kacalactions gentler.

It was like a different cultivar entirely, and my head space was so free, settled, calm hally and relaxed.

Seperately- i just finidhed my 1st ever pound of WoW Kava. For a while it's really wasn't my ideal cup of tea but I have been growing to appreciate it greatly as a perfect balance of theuickly and so pleasutably heavy strains I Aluball to begin with often.

I found a WoW shell or mix can really settle my mind into peace and detachment quickly and pleasurabl, especially after a purely heady karva like M'oi, or bestfijikava AAA Lawena.

Or even Kavafied Tonga, and others..

I saw ypur older comments here on WoW being one of your fave ever Kavas, hence my decision to try it. Im glad I did. I do feel tnat my preference of kavas, or at least preference of balance, has changed and may contimue to do so.

I expect many kava drinkers habe experienced this too.

Last edited:

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
What about hangover-like effects. I have felt these with taking much more than recommended doses of kava capsules that otherwise did nothing, absolutely nothing (in the Heavy kava effects, at least, I do not understand/feel the headiness with certainty).

Last edited: