What's new

ID help please, live plant, methysticum y/n, noble y/n?

This plant was traded to a friend as Piper methysticum, and I was excited when they sent me cuttings. However, I'm a plant nerd and it doesn't look like the details match methysticum. I'm totally impressed with the diversity of the Piper genus now, and hoping this beauty might be some sort of culinary Piper at least. Images of mother plant and my happily growing cuttings.

Can anyone ID this for me as:
Methysticum Y/N?
If yes, noble cultivar (name?) or not?
If no, what species of Piper?

Thank you very much for your time.

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The veins look correct, however the leaf looks too waxy, and not cordate enough to be P. methysticum. I'm afraid that's likely not kava, but it will take one more familiar with the family than myself to fully identify. Here's young P. methysticum in Hawaii.

1695510099883.png

1695510139300.png

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
This plant was traded to a friend as Piper methysticum, and I was excited when they sent me cuttings. However, I'm a plant nerd and it doesn't look like the details match methysticum. I'm totally impressed with the diversity of the Piper genus now, and hoping this beauty might be some sort of culinary Piper at least. Images of mother plant and my happily growing cuttings.

Can anyone ID this for me as:
Methysticum Y/N?
If yes, noble cultivar (name?) or not?
If no, what species of Piper?

Thank you very much for your time.
Macropiper latifolium is my bet.

Macropiper latifolium is my bet.
Thank you, that would make sense. Does it get those aerial roots at all the nodes? Those were throwing me for a loop when trying to id, can't find them mentioned anywhere on any of the relatives, or in any photos.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thank you, that would make sense. Does it get those aerial roots at all the nodes? Those were throwing me for a loop when trying to id, can't find them mentioned anywhere on any of the relatives, or in any photos.
I would guest the aerial roots are environmental. In real moist and/or shaded conditions even my 'Awa can get them. It would not surprize me if other species can also.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I will respectfully disagree with everyone else and say it isn't even wild kava. Just some other Piper species, of which there are over 3000.

In fact it looks closer to betel (Piper betle) than any kava or wild kava. Betel is of course the leaf that areca (betle) nut and lime are wrapped in prior to chewing.

If I'm correct, you will need to give it support to climb on.

https://amulyanursery.com/product/betel-leaf-plant/

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I will respectfully disagree with everyone else and say it isn't even wild kava. Just some other Piper species, of which there are over 3000.

In fact it looks closer to betel (Piper betle) than any kava or wild kava. Betel is of course the leaf that areca (betle) nut and lime are wrapped in prior to chewing.

If I'm correct, you will need to give it support to climb on.

https://amulyanursery.com/product/betel-leaf-plant/
Likely we won't agree on everything except that it is not Piper methysticum .
I don't think it is Betel because Betel has a more elongated leaf and more pronounced central vein.