What's new

Idle thought

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Why doesn't someone just buy or rent a bunch of land in PNG and buy up a lot of kasa from Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, etc and grow it in PNG? Conditions might not be ideal but it will grow there. I know I'm missing something here.
Whoa there Paul. That's dangerous thinking. Best stick to your work.

In seriousness though, this is a questions I would love to see answered. I also wonder this about Costa Rica and Puerto Rico.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Whoa there Paul. That's dangerous thinking. Best stick to your work.

In seriousness though, this is a questions I would love to see answered. I also wonder this about Costa Rica and Puerto Rico.
I was mainly thinking about PNG because we know for a fact it can grow there. maybe not ideal, but it grows for sure.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Try getting a large amount of cuttings out of Vanuatu and come back to me :)
If it's being held off by logistics, then would you agree that it's only a matter of time before someone lights the fuse on that powder keg? Legally or otherwise it would seem if kava grows in a specific location, and demand keeps growing, it will naturally spread to that location. Or maybe not....just my idle thoughts :)

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
In the case of Vanuatu, I think it's to do with the country preserving its own individual unique resources - the stem pieces would have to be smuggled out and it is hard to do this with more than a handful. There is legislation on it, same as taking out any artefacts over a couple of decades old.
It's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a scheme though. You could fit a whole load of cuttings in a yacht.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
In the case of Vanuatu, I think it's to do with the country preserving its own individual unique resources - the stem pieces would have to be smuggled out and it is hard to do this with more than a handful. There is legislation on it, same as taking out any artefacts over a couple of decades old.
It's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a scheme though. You could fit a whole load of cuttings in a yacht.

Well, let's rule out Vanuatu, then, but somewhere else with a decent variety of varieties?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Why doesn't someone just buy or rent a bunch of land in PNG and buy up a lot of kasa from Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, etc and grow it in PNG? Conditions might not be ideal but it will grow there. I know I'm missing something here.
This would be the kind of project that is perfect as a community, that being us all as a collective. Of course someone needs to run the show, but I can't see no greater cause to support and donate to. My idle thoughts..

kastom_lif

Kava Lover

The Friends of Tikopia yacht group took Vanuatu cuttings to Tikopia, at the extreme eastern end of Solomon Islands a few years ago. It was during a humanitarian mission to rebuild their freshwater lagoon, where a cyclone had washed out part of the beach.

I'm not sure what the logistics would have been. Yachts can finalise departure paperwork in Sola, Banks Islands, and they'll give you a few days after clearing to keep poking around in Vanuatu. If there were a way to pre-clear the entry to Solo, the trip to Tikopia is only a day. However I don't even think there's a port of entry anywhere in Santa Cruz province. It may have been approved ahead of time due to the nature of the voyage, and any plant products that happened to be onboard were just happy accidents.

So it wasn't really smuggling. Tikopia was happy to receive the cuttings, and it is their island after all. It's not like a bunch of Aussies dropped anchor off Honiara with tonnes of illicit cuttings, Tikopia is a tiny poly outlier settled by Tongans, way out at the eastern extreme of Solomon Islands.

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I hope, in a few decades, smart people like you guys will have these idle thoughts about greenhouses on the moon.
I think elon musk and others have been working on terraforming mars for a while. I guess the idea was to melt some of the ice to create an atmosphere like earth's and after a while it'll create weather patterns and so on.

There are a number of uninhabited islands in the south pacific. The Kermadec Islands look nice. I don't think NZ would even notice if some goons started a kava farm there.