What's new

If you have 'Eva from Cactus (good post this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KavaCat

Meow.
In case anyone missed it, I resolved my issue with Cactus Kava, everything's good now. :)

So I made some of their 'Eva and then stored the root in my refrigerator, still in the strainer bag, overnight. I came back to it the next day to do a second wash, and while kneading, I could feel a strangely firm lump in there. After kneading, I put the root onto a paper towel, to see what the lump was.

upload_2017-5-10_5-52-33.jpeg

It was actually two pieces of relatively large root that re-hydrated during the night. The first one, I put directly into my mouth, thinking it was a fluke, but then I found this second piece, and took a photo. These pieces were very potent when chewed, and have only felt my mouth go this numb when I have had pure extract from when Paradise was doing that. So if you have 'Eva, let your kneaded kava scraps rehydrate for a good while! You might have some nice little pieces of root for chewing. I'm doing another batch to see if I find any more pieces, and will update on that later.

KavaCat

Meow.
So since you enjoyed the lump of Kava, maybe it's a feature? Or if you would rather had the powder, then it's a nuisance. Either way, at least it was chewable and as you mentioned, potent as well. Perhaps they should advertise, "free chewable lump of root with every purchase". :D
Musings. You know, when you buy noble kava from a certified vendor, you know it's all good and you knew the lump was going to be ok and so you immediately popped it in your mouth. :hungry: Think about it ...
Haha, I was cautious in chewing on it, but of course it was root. I knew that the second I bit onto it, because my mouth was just powerfully numb, very quickly and far beyond the numbness the prepared 'Eva kava gives. :) They were quite recognizable as root if you look at pictures of the cross section of a piece of cut, fresh roots, although I admit that I never looked at pictures of the interior of whole kava, until I found these. But certainly, they seem to have a white fleshy part in the interior with some speckling sometimes.

There is of course plenty of fiber in the bag that wasn't chew-able, chunks from the outer part of the root, but these particular bits of it were sort of... tough but soft. When fully rehydrated, they have a texture that is kind of like a piece of cooked broccoli stalk. You can very easily chew it, but if you tried to squeeze it, like when I was kneading the bag, it's going to feel kinda leathery.

Hardcore, bro, er, sis, er, sista-bro (broster?), hardcore. Respect.
One of my old friends used to like "Sisbro", haha. But strangely enough, these parts of the root tasted much more pleasant than kava powder. Almost like a vegetable. Not really as hardcore as you might think lol :)

Last edited:

KavaCat

Meow.
I didn't try chewing it, but here is a picture of it. It's still sitting on my desk.
View attachment 7856
Oh, that's much bigger! Haha, I wouldn't try to chew that either. These were only about the size of a dime when fully hydrated so in their dried state, they would have been much smaller. Surely why they were not noticeable when I first made the batch. And there was no woody stuff attached, it was pieces from the soft interior. :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh, that's much bigger! Haha, I wouldn't try to chew that either. These were only about the size of a dime when fully hydrated so in their dried state, they would have been much smaller. Surely why they were not noticeable when I first made the batch. And there was no woody stuff attached, it was pieces from the soft interior. :)
Kava actually is pretty woody before you soak it in water.

I wonder if I soaked mine if it would get even bigger... like one of those foam toys that expands in water lol

KavaCat

Meow.
Kava actually is pretty woody before you soak it in water.

I wonder if I soaked mine if it would get even bigger... like one of those foam toys that expands in water lol
Most plant matter that is dehydrated does kinda expand like those foam toys XD Or vice versa, when you dry plants up, it gets much smaller than you might expect. I have a baggie of zucchini chips I made. They fit into a 1/2 cup snack size ziplock. It's the yields of 2 medium zucchinis lol

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
This is just proof more vendors need to source and sell root pieces, it seems a lot of people are interested and everyone who's actually tried chewing one, no matter what strain/vendor, says how strong it is both taste and effects wise.

I love the realkava Vanuatu root pieces I got, but that is pretty Vanautu-y in spicy/body effects, I'd love to chew on some more mild tasting/heady Fijan/Tongan/Hawaiian root pieces too!

KavaCat

Meow.
Okay, so update! On my second batch, I certainly didn't find any large pieces like the one in the picture, but I found about maybe 1 tsp worth of smaller, vegetabley pieces, that came from the inner part of the root. It looks slightly different from the rest of the root, and these smaller pieces aren't something I would chase after, unless I was trying to see how much of them occurred, like I was doing last night. But there was still enough there, in my opinion, to confirm that it's probably worthwhile to check your 'Eva dregs (after they've had some time to sit, damp, mine go overnight in the fridge, so it's several hours) for some larger, softer root chunks. :)

KavaCat

Meow.
Haha, and after I post that, of course I would go off to make another batch, and find two more pieces in a third batch, about the size of my pinky nail. I was too excited to eat them to take a picture, though. There were also some smaller pieces, like from batch 2... there were probably smaller pieces in batch 1 as well, I just didn't seek them out after finding the two huge chunks.

And to be clear, I usually do a second wash on yesterday's root and start a new batch every day, lately, but I forgot to update on the thread yesterday is all. In case that confused anyone.

Sadly, that is the last of my 'Eva, since I just had a sample size. Maybe someone else might find some stuff. :)

KavaCat

Meow.
This is just proof more vendors need to source and sell root pieces, it seems a lot of people are interested and everyone who's actually tried chewing one, no matter what strain/vendor, says how strong it is both taste and effects wise.

I love the realkava Vanuatu root pieces I got, but that is pretty Vanautu-y in spicy/body effects, I'd love to chew on some more mild tasting/heady Fijan/Tongan/Hawaiian root pieces too!
Yep, the two new pieces I found tonight, I ate them right away, then put the root back in the strainer to make my second wash. Like I said above, the pieces I found tonight were the size of my pinky nail when rehydrated, but was feeling the effects of them by the time I was finished kneading the kava. Feels like about 1/2 a shell for just those two little pieces! I couldn't say how much effect the large piece from the first batch had, because I had a good chug of the liquid from the kava before I started digging through the bag to find out what the lump was about. I think it must be something similar to fresh spices; the bigger and more intact you can leave them, the better, because its size prevents the decay of any essential oils and components, because it won't be in contact with air, humidity, light, etc. Only the very outer part will have to deal with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.