What's new

I'm back

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Hi guys. It's been a few years since I've been on this forum and I hope you've all been well. If none of you remember me, that's totally cool, but I started a thread a few years back involving a phobia that I had and that I thought kava would aid in conquering...

The good news is that I conquered this phobia that was really eating at me since I was a child. The bad news is that it turns out that it was just an underlying phobia... I've always had anxiety and now it's morphed into mild to moderate agoraphobia... I can still leave my house to go to work and some other places, but it can be tough sometimes if I don't have someone with me. I already did the research and I know what I have to do to fight this, but I was owndering if you guys think I should use kava to help me with my exposure therapy.... Some might say that's cheating, but like I said, it helped me beat my other phobia and so that's why i mentioned it.

I could also use some other recommendations for micronized kava. I just purchased some kava king instant and no matter how much of it I take I can't feel shit... Seriously its pretty much useless to me. I really have always enjoyed GHK's stuff, and mahakea always seems to do me right so I'll probably order some of that soon! But I'm just wondering if there are other vendors out there that sell a reliable and effective micronized selection. Please let me know if you know anything. I've been outta the kava game for awhile.

I felt really good when I was kava though... I know that nothing is going to cure me except repeated exposure, just like how i conquered my other phobia, but still, every little bit helps and there are some days when I feel like I really need this stuff, so I'm hoping it's going to play a decent role in my recovery.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Welcome back. I have 5 different micronized kava's and I actually have one that is almost done drying and will be out soon. It was going to be a surprise but I will let you know here that it is going to be Papa Ele Ele micronized. Send me a PM with your mailing info and I will send you a sample of this fine 'Awa when it is done. Again welcome back and aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii, where the island is growing day by day.

Chris

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Hi shredder. I also have anxiety disorder that manifests in agorphobia and other ways. Exposure is important ,when ive used alcohol its helped at the time, but made me reliant. But kava doesnt seem to take away the benefit of exposure. For me at least. If im going somewhere stressy and i have a shell or two of GHK Nene it makes it easier, but not so much like alcohol, im still very present in the moment, maybe not entirely comfortbale, but eventually i calm into it. So thats a positve enforcement of exposure. Next time i maybe dont take kave before, just have some with me.

It depends on what it is, and how rarely i have to do it. Or how im feeling on the day. Maybe some days i am using it as a crutch, but its a hell,of a lot better than carrying vodka around for 'emergencies'. Or sinking 3 beers before you go anywhere.

krunk-da-krunk

Krunk-a-dee-da-krunk-da-krunk
Shredder, I'm just posting to say sweet guitar in avatar. Ive got a black one just like it but right handed -- ohh and welcome back :)

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Welcome back!
I can’t speak to micros or kava use for agoraphobia. I have experienced agoraphobia for years to the point of being afraid to drive or even grocery shop. It was truly terrible. Some medications meant to manage it actually made it worse. I wish I had known about kava back then.

It sounds like you’re grabbing the bull by the horns! Let us know how you’re doing.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Hi guys. It's been a few years since I've been on this forum and I hope you've all been well. If none of you remember me, that's totally cool, but I started a thread a few years back involving a phobia that I had and that I thought kava would aid in conquering...

The good news is that I conquered this phobia that was really eating at me since I was a child. The bad news is that it turns out that it was just an underlying phobia... I've always had anxiety and now it's morphed into mild to moderate agoraphobia... I can still leave my house to go to work and some other places, but it can be tough sometimes if I don't have someone with me. I already did the research and I know what I have to do to fight this, but I was owndering if you guys think I should use kava to help me with my exposure therapy.... Some might say that's cheating, but like I said, it helped me beat my other phobia and so that's why i mentioned it.

I could also use some other recommendations for micronized kava. I just purchased some kava king instant and no matter how much of it I take I can't feel shit... Seriously its pretty much useless to me. I really have always enjoyed GHK's stuff, and mahakea always seems to do me right so I'll probably order some of that soon! But I'm just wondering if there are other vendors out there that sell a reliable and effective micronized selection. Please let me know if you know anything. I've been outta the kava game for awhile.

I felt really good when I was kava though... I know that nothing is going to cure me except repeated exposure, just like how i conquered my other phobia, but still, every little bit helps and there are some days when I feel like I really need this stuff, so I'm hoping it's going to play a decent role in my recovery.
I think the answer to using Kava to aid in exposure therapy is an emphatic "Yes". Kava relieves anxiety without messing with the brain's ability to form new memories. What this means is that it won't hinder the process of exposure therapy, like Benzodiazepines sometimes can. Benzodiazepines can hinder both the development and extinction of a "fear memory", which is the core of a phobia. So, Kava reduces anxiety without messing with fear extinction processes. At the very least, Kava isn't going to reduce the efficacy of exposure therapy. I've got agoraphobia, too, but I've gotten to a point of complacency that's not very healthy. I have been going on "trips" to the local Ma and Pa's in town, though, so every little bit helps :unsure:

Last edited:

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
I think the answer to using Kava to aid in exposure therapy is an emphatic "Yes". Kava relieves anxiety without messing with the brain's ability to form new memories. What this means is that it won't hinder the process of exposure therapy, like Benzodiazepines sometimes can. Benzodiazepines can hinder both the development and extinction of a "fear memory", which is the core of a phobia. So, Kava reduces anxiety without messing with fear extinction processes. At the very least, Kava isn't going to reduce the efficacy of exposure therapy. I've got agoraphobia, too, but I've gotten to a point of complacency that's not very healthy. I have been going on "trips" to the local Ma and Pa's in town, though, so every little bit helps :unsure:
I was worried that it was going t hinder the efficacy of my exposure so this is great news! How did you learn that?!

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome back!
I can’t speak to micros or kava use for agoraphobia. I have experienced agoraphobia for years to the point of being afraid to drive or even grocery shop. It was truly terrible. Some medications meant to manage it actually made it worse. I wish I had known about kava back then.

It sounds like you’re grabbing the bull by the horns! Let us know how you’re doing.
Thanks man! I really feel supported by all you guys... This means a lot to me. I'll definitely keep you all in the loop. We should stick together. All of us kava users with anxiety.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Hi shredder. I also have anxiety disorder that manifests in agorphobia and other ways. Exposure is important ,when ive used alcohol its helped at the time, but made me reliant. But kava doesnt seem to take away the benefit of exposure. For me at least. If im going somewhere stressy and i have a shell or two of GHK Nene it makes it easier, but not so much like alcohol, im still very present in the moment, maybe not entirely comfortbale, but eventually i calm into it. So thats a positve enforcement of exposure. Next time i maybe dont take kave before, just have some with me.

It depends on what it is, and how rarely i have to do it. Or how im feeling on the day. Maybe some days i am using it as a crutch, but its a hell,of a lot better than carrying vodka around for 'emergencies'. Or sinking 3 beers before you go anywhere.
Awesome man! I would honestly love to hear more about your experience with it helping you since we suffer from the same thing... Definitely PM me sometime.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I was worried that it was going t hinder the efficacy of my exposure so this is great news! How did you learn that?!
I'm actually not sure whether or not I've seen a study on Kava's effects on "fear extinction". All I've had to go on are studies on Kava's general effects on memory. So, I guess I am reaching a little here. That's why I really wish more research would be done on Kava. I believe other calcium channel blockers, like Nifedipine etc., enhance memory through the Hippocampus but might decrease it through the amygdala. This may mean it interferes with fear extinction. Kava has other actions, though, so IDK. Sorry for the earlier comment, it was something that I thought a long time ago without having as much proof as I would normally desire nowadays. Doesn't mean you can't have some Kava after a big day of exposure therapy :p

Plus, I do know that nootropics, like D-Cycloserine especially, have been used to enhance fear extinction.

Last edited:

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
tell me more about D-Cycloserine please
I believe it's an antibiotic that either indirectly, or directly, enhances NMDA receptor activity. The NMDA receptor is instrumental for most, if not all, learning processes. So, it helps one unlearn that fear by replacing the fear memory with a memory of safety. The fear memory never goes away, so after you've successfully done exposure therapy, you'd want to take measures to keep the new safety memory in place. Taking things that reduce stress can prevent the reintroduction of the fear memory, so Kava should be instrumental for keeping your exposure therapy efficacious once you're already "in remission" from your agoraphobia. Saffron extract is an herb that seems to have NMDA-receptor antagonistic effects - the effective opposite of D-Cycloserine - that could possibly help prevent the recurrence of the fear memory, too. There's probably some other things, but Idk how many herbs are actually bioavailable, to humans, in their current form. Ashwagandha could be good. But, you don't really need to think this far ahead, yet.

I should say, though, that you should talk to your doctor about D-Cycloserine, as I am definitely not a doctor, lol.

Last edited:

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
So i looked into that stuff you mentioned and it looks real dicey man... I guess even though it has real good potential, it also has even worse potential should you slip up and give into the fair during an exposure session. I appreciate you bringing it up though. Have you ever used it personally?

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
So i looked into that stuff you mentioned and it looks real dicey man... I guess even though it has real good potential, it also has even worse potential should you slip up and give into the fair during an exposure session. I appreciate you bringing it up though. Have you ever used it personally?
I haven't used it personally, because of similar anxieties, but I've also seen no scientific literature on whether or not it can increase the development of a phobia if you end up having a panic attack. I do know it doesn't work if you don't have a successful exposure therapy session, or whatever.

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
look up "Dr.sircus trsnsdermal magnesium", it will definitely take the edge off.