What's new

Importing into Europe

Jean

Kava Curious
Even if we have more and more the possibility to order kava from European based providers, the market in the US lets dream every kava drinker in Europe. I don't recommend to order outside Europe, since the legal status of kava remains the least to say unclear in most European countries. However a try is worth for those who like to try new or rare varieties of kava. Most products available on Amazon.com are not delivered to Europe. Some US brands on their own do not ship (any more) to Europe. However, one company is still willing to ship directly to Europe and provides good customer service : Pure Kava. Since 2019 I've ordered to France and to Germany, without any troubles and always with a friendly service. I would like to know if somebody else has recently ordered from the US. A list of companies shipping to Europe would be useful.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
It might be cheaper to use a reshipper since the might have better shipping rates than the kava resellers.

I notice that they are more pickey now, they demand an explanation on what the content is (product description) and a precise description.
Health supplements don't do it.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It might be cheaper to use a reshipper since the might have better shipping rates than the kava resellers.

I notice that they are more pickey now, they demand an explanation on what the content is (product description) and a precise description.
Health supplements don't do it.
Stackry no longer ship to most European countries. Most other reshippers will do but you don't have as much flexibility in terms of declaring the contents and value. I can still send kava to most countries except Germany. Of course my kava is more expensive than from a US vendor because I have already imported it and paid shipping and duties, etc.

Jean

Kava Curious
Hi Edward, I'm very happy that you can import to the UK and ship it until now to continental Europe and I have seriously considered to order from you. However, I'm not convinced that the situation will stay as it is. Are you sure that you will still be able to send kava to Belfast in an near future ? The Brexit leads to an internal border in the UK ( North Irland) and an increased control from UK to continental Europe. From July 1st onward, the taxes and custom declaration start at 22€ ! Hence even the UK won't be able to save kava drinkers in continental Europe. Poland is helping us a lot, but here again, nothing is clear for the near future since Poland belongs to the countries, with Hungarian, that may be thrown out of the EU one day. Hence I'm looking for any possible alternatives. Note that I don't comment the political grounds and don't put the responsibility on any of the parties, only the consequences for continental kava drinkers are of concern for me.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
From July 1st onward, the taxes and custom declaration start at 22€ !
Fees will already arise starting from a shipment value of €1.

Have it accepted as novel food.
They indeed do actively work towards this goal. But there are a lot of industries, committees and laws involved. Such things are very complicated and take a lot of time, and the outcome is far from being certain.

Last edited:

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Business outside eu can chose to register for payments of vat on behalf of their European costumers. If they do costumers don't have to pay customs clearance fees.

Jean

Kava Curious
I've found the original text :
"The European Union introduces new Value-Added Tax rules for e-commerce from 1 July 2021
[...] First, VAT will now have to be applied on all goods that are sold online in the EU regardless of their price. The current VAT de minimis threshold of 22 EUR will no longer be applied. Studies and experience have shown that the de minimis exemption is being abused with even goods such as smartphones being declared at a value less than 22 EUR. The new rule means that from 1 July 2021 VAT will have to be charged on all goods entering the EU, ensuring a level playing field for EU businesses."

Hence indeed I made a mistake, the 22 € were the tolerated amount until now, that has now decreased to 1 €. My point is this will also impact e.g., Edward's business from the UK as well.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've found the original text :
"The European Union introduces new Value-Added Tax rules for e-commerce from 1 July 2021
[...] First, VAT will now have to be applied on all goods that are sold online in the EU regardless of their price. The current VAT de minimis threshold of 22 EUR will no longer be applied. Studies and experience have shown that the de minimis exemption is being abused with even goods such as smartphones being declared at a value less than 22 EUR. The new rule means that from 1 July 2021 VAT will have to be charged on all goods entering the EU, ensuring a level playing field for EU businesses."

Hence indeed I made a mistake, the 22 € were the tolerated amount until now, that has now decreased to 1 €. My point is this will also impact e.g., Edward's business from the UK as well.
Yes, I think it will. I will probably only be sending kava to Europe from my partner in Ireland.

Jean

Kava Curious
They indeed do actively work towards this goal. But there are a lot of industries, committees and laws involved. Such things are very complicated and take a lot of time, and the outcome is far from being certain.
Please, could you give your sources ? Who actively works toward this goal ?

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Please, could you give your sources ? Who actively works toward this goal ?
I can't tell you any names from the top of my head. But you could search here in the forums. I also don't know anything about the current status.

Last edited:

Jean

Kava Curious
Do New Caledonia (Fr) and Tahiti produce kava?
As far as I know kava is imported in Nouvelle Calédonie. I've once ordered 20 years ago, just before the stupid ban, kava from Nouvelle-Calédonie. In 2001 it was no more possible and after that I didn't try. The legal status of Nouvelle-Calédonie allowed still to sale kava locally but not at that time to send to continental Europe. In any case it was cheaper to order directly from Vanuatu.

Etasaumi

Stackry no longer ship to most European countries. Most other reshippers will do but you don't have as much flexibility in terms of declaring the contents and value. I can still send kava to most countries except Germany. Of course my kava is more expensive than from a US vendor because I have already imported it and paid shipping and duties, etc.
Do you still sell kava. Want to buy some.