What's new

Impressed with Shaman kava

kl..

Kava Curious
I'm not a big fan of extracts, but we were going to see my mother in law, so I wanted a plan....  Basically, if I tell her it's an herbal supplement that you can't take with alcohol she won't pressure me to drink with her and we can each enjoy our own beneficial habits, so I thought I'd give shaman kava a try.  The packaging looks great for the plane, with a specific label mentioning that it is a dietary supplement, which should help if my bags get searched.  It's small and convenient and I won't have to get into it with her about soaking and straining.  I was concerned about effects and potency, but it's been fine.  It feels like a high kavain kava to me, which is good.  After two shells on a not-completely-empty stomach, my mood is lifted, I'm feeling pretty good.  I'll probably have one more and that will be plenty.  The taste is fine, it has that powdery, mild taste that most extracts seem to have. I don't think a third shell will knock me over, but I certainly wouldn't drive right now.  For daily use, I'm sticking to my root powders, but I'd recommend this for travel.  Any one else have thoughts?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Honestly shaman may be the only kava that is too strong for me. It's effects are...the best way I can describe it....sharp. You can easily drink too much and not realize it until it's too late. I just recently took some on vacation in case I didn't want to make a traditional batch. Turns out that I quickly went back to my knead and squeeze method just so I could be sure of the effects I was about to have instead of it being a total surprise. I too find that it's a high kavain kava, the evidence that supports that for me is that I can't sleep on it very well at all. Any high kavain kava is stimulating for me. It's a good instant, but for me it's too good.

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
shaman & fire island kava ARE NOT extracts. They are actually fresh kava made from green root stock and dried to a powder. It is extremely excellent and I'd drin it all the time except for the fact that it's a little pricey per serving.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Because it's dehydrated fresh kava, rather than kava made from dehydrated roots, it has a different (and more authentic) chemical profile. It's much closer to drinking it in Vanuatu.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I have had such a shitty, shitty, shitty day that I'm polishing off the rest of my tin of Shaman. At over $3 per shell, it's either my birthday, John Frum's expected date of return, or a really shitty day.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Prince Philip said:
I have had such a shitty, shitty, shitty day that I'm polishing off the rest of my tin of Shaman. At over $3 per shell, it's either my birthday, John Frum's expected date of return, or a really shitty day.
ah yes, I know these days. Those time when you're making your nightly grog and you think "screw it I'm adding more, no matter how much money I'm wasting right now." and then it ends up happening a few more times in the same evening. Been there done that my royal friend.