What's new

Instant Hiwa

King Kava

I received my order over the weekend and was really expecting something potent. I used 1 heaping tbsp in each shell, spaced about 10 minutes apart, for a total of 3 shells. I didn't feel much and had to shake up 2 auluballs to finish my session.

My normal consumption is 3 auluballs of med grind with 2 tbsp each. That always puts me right where I want to be.

I know that the instant is always going to be more expensive due to production costs, but I was hoping it would be more cost effective than I experienced.

I'm wondering if my expectations were too high. Should 1 tbsp of instant be more potent than 1 tbsp of med grind, properly prepared?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I received my order over the weekend and was really expecting something potent. I used 1 heaping tbsp in each shell, spaced about 10 minutes apart, for a total of 3 shells. I didn't feel much and had to shake up 2 auluballs to finish my session.

My normal consumption is 3 auluballs of med grind with 2 tbsp each. That always puts me right where I want to be.

I know that the instant is always going to be more expensive due to production costs, but I was hoping it would be more cost effective than I experienced.

I'm wondering if my expectations were too high. Should 1 tbsp of instant be more potent than 1 tbsp of med grind, properly prepared?
One tablespoon of instant should be much stronger than 1 tablespoon of medium grind. Just to be certain, you are using tablespoons and not teaspoons? I ask because GHK's instants have usually been quite potent.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I love instants and I have some of the Hiwa instant on the way. Hiwa is one of my favourite medium grinds ever so I will let you know once I have tried the instant.

King Kava

Yes, I used a measuring tbsp. I heaped it and mixed it in with about 6oz of water and chugged. Three of those left me rather disappointed, but they weren't entirely ineffective. The additional 2 auluballs sent me far over the edge. It was an uncomfortable and definitely strong krunk.

I'll give it another shot tonight without extra auluballs.. Perhaps I had a delayed reaction.

I also have 200g of Ikaika that I want to try.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yes, I used a measuring tbsp. I heaped it and mixed it in with about 6oz of water and chugged. Three of those left me rather disappointed, but they weren't entirely ineffective. The additional 2 auluballs sent me far over the edge. It was an uncomfortable and definitely strong krunk.

I'll give it another shot tonight without extra auluballs.. Perhaps I had a delayed reaction.

I also have 200g of Ikaika that I want to try.
My Hiwa instant came and I found it ok using a lot less than you did. I think it could be the same as I sometimes get, first time with a new root is not fantastic. Try it again a few times and I think it will grow on you. I'm going to do a written review on this site at some stage. Also maybe try adding some cow's milk to your mix. It really makes a difference for me.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My Hiwa instant came and I found it ok using a lot less than you did. I think it could be the same as I sometimes get, first time with a new root is not fantastic. Try it again a few times and I think it will grow on you. I'm going to do a written review on this site at some stage. Also maybe try adding some cow's milk to your mix. It really makes a difference for me.
Just to add to that. It usually takes me 4 days of consumption before a kava really opens up fully for me. I'm not sure if that's due to chemotype, or placebo, but 4 days is how long it takes me to fully test a kava.

King Kava

I appreciate the responses. I find the flavor and texture very pleasing - way better than micronized.

I've only tried it one other time since I posted. I'll give it a few days in a row and see how that works out.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Interestingly I tried the Ikaika tonight and didn't get lots from it but then it is my first time drinking that particular root, never heard of it before. I will definitely be trying again tomorrow night and I expect that in a few days it will be hitting the spot every time. It definitely tasted nice though.